Game of Thrones (Season 8) [R]

Discussion in 'Movies, TV and Music' started by Goodsport, Mar 5, 2019.

1. Karloski

Karloski Member+

Oct 26, 2006
    England
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Disagree..

This is the perfect episode to show it from the 'victims' perspective...I'd even go as far as to say they should have replaced Arya with another unknown. It would have been a great shift in the usual story telling (to suddenly shift to more unknown characters) to show us exactly what varys was talking about in regards to the effects the battle has on the populace by those who think they have a divine right to rule. This episode was supposed to show you the horrors on the ground from the so called 'nobodies' perspective. The horrors of war\battle and how it turns the victors into savages (very true of historic battles in our own history), and how regardless of the grand stories and wishes you may have for your 'heroes' it's the vast majority who suffer.

2. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    As i say I don't have a dog in the fight - but I will say you are defending somewhat hamfisted writing via plot arc

Which is exactly the point I was making in the first place

It shouldn't be needed to patch over technical issues by arguing for narrative - the plot should be advanced without kitten strangling, exposition etc

sitruc repped this.
  3. Karloski

Karloski Member+

Oct 26, 2006
    England
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    That makes no sense to me.

That narrative they tried (with the civilian perspective) was one of the best parts of the episode...but there were plenty of other narrative issues (in my opinion) that were not good.

Technical issues are camera shots, special effects etc. If you are saying you didn't like that they showed a mother and daughter etc, in peril and witnessing the horrors...that's your personal opinion on taste, and not a technical issue. If you want to concentrate more on main characters, again...that's your personal opinion on you wanting obvious tropes..and dismissing another's take from the scenes.

The whole last 2 seasons were rushed, I think that's the only thing everybody watching agrees with. And I have no doubt the writers and actors would agree also. There have also been some really unnecessary scenes, and long term plot failures. But, The over-reaction by a lot of people watching (either by not having the story they wanted or jumping on sheep bandwagons) seems a little comical.

4. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    I disagree

The whole point is that the audience is not invested in the fate of kings landing because they have no reason to be - rather reinforced by Tyrion's monologue to Cersei

Hence kitten strangling and mopey Snow thrown in at the last minute, to make Dany's actions feel bad

This is exactly what is meant by technical issues - the show runners have to resort to cheap emotional tricks to carry the plot arc

MiLLeNNiuM and sitruc repped this.
  5. bostonsoccermdl

bostonsoccermdl Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Denver, CO
    The boycotts! (I must say if it has come to boycotting, the nerds need a timeout..)

6. Karloski

Karloski Member+

Oct 26, 2006
    England
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    It's not cheap emotional tricks.

You are coming at this like some sort of robot, that has been programmed to tell stories in a certain way and not deviate (You're not german are you :))

Guess what, in the real world children suffer and they witness horrors...and the vast majority of the adult human species feel a range of feelings regarding children due to evolved protective nature. That's why its used in film and TV...because a) it happens and b) sure, it gets an emotional reaction. This is why the 2 video games classed as having the biggest emotional impact are : the walking dead and the last of us...it's mainly because they involve childeren. To palm it off as kitten strangling is short sighted and grasping at an argument.

7. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    They actually said they made us see how Arya saw things so we would care. There was no reason to care about what happened to those people prior to that even with Tyrion suddenly concerned about the people the last two episodes. Likewise, the reason for Arya to be in that situation was flimsy at best.

8. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    #408 The Jitty Slitter, May 19, 2019
    Last edited: May 19, 2019
    Perhaps my problems with the show are too anorak but I believe this is why so many people have complained about what they saw - it's didn't connect emotionally.

Of course we are judging the show by it's own elite standards. And if this is the story you wanted to tell you can craft it much better.

e.g. Make Dany murder the kid herself directly - if you want to break through the meaningless red shirt slaughter. Dany is a character people are invested in - so you can go all the way to the bottom with it,

IMO the problem is that your having to resort to this kind of manipulation because you start trying to tell a story different to the one you've been telling. The horror of war seems quite a diversion. But the evil of Dany could have been told more directly through her character.

9. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    #409 The Jitty Slitter, May 19, 2019
    Last edited: May 19, 2019
    I think you misunderstand my argument. e.g. American Sniper has a classic kitten strangle to raise the stakes to the highest possible level when he snipes the kid. On the other hand the climax of Sophie's choice is not a kitten strangle, even though the kids die. The film worked to create that moment in a realistic way. Or of course the death of Ned. That was not a strangle.

When Lucas talked about kitten strangling, he didn't mean that kittens, kids etc can't die. He was speaking against crude emotional manipulation.

The theatrical release of THX-1138 didn’t go over well, and when buddy Francis Ford Coppola told George that his problem was neglecting to emotionally involve the audience, it was reported (in the excellent film history Easy Riders, Raging Bulls) that George’s response to him and his own wife Marcia was:

“Emotionally involving the audience is easy. Anybody can do it blindfolded, get a little kitten and have some guy wring its neck. I’m gonna show you how easy it is. I’ll make a film that emotionally involves the audience.”
    So the point is that it is easy to do this - but that quality writing doesn't need to strangle the kittens to get a response out of us.

MiLLeNNiuM, sitruc and Belgian guy repped this.
  10. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Series finale tonight. :(

-G

11. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV

Watch how he kills Alton Lannister and then how he describes it to Brienne. How do they make these mistakes?

MiLLeNNiuM repped this.
  12. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    Some of the electronic road signs along 495 in northern Virginia say, "ARYA SERIOUS? BUCKLE UP."

13. chad

chad Member+

Jun 24, 1999
    Manhattan Beach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. Sebsasour

Sebsasour Member+

New Mexico United
    May 26, 2012
    Albuquerque NM
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    First half of the episode was fine and I liked the Jon and Daenerys scene. Everything after that felt off though. Maybe it was the quick transition

sitruc repped this.
  15. Boandlkramer

Boandlkramer Member+

Apr 9, 2009
    Samma Weltmeister!
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Show Spoiler
    Bran?!? Focking Bran!?! [emoji2959]

16. MiLLeNNiuM

MiLLeNNiuM Member+

Aug 28, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #416 MiLLeNNiuM, May 19, 2019
    Last edited: May 20, 2019
  17. Karloski

Karloski Member+

Oct 26, 2006
    England
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    What the fck did I just watch?

Started of with potential...then as soon as Drogon flew off with Dany....It turned into some of the most laughable tripe I've seen on TV.

MiLLeNNiuM, luftmensch and sitruc repped this.
  18. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    We learned nothing.

19. luftmensch

luftmensch Member+

United States
    May 4, 2006
    Petaluma
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I almost expected an ending like in Clue (or Wayne's World). Like "That's what COULD have happened, but here are two alternate endings!"

It was alright, I guess, for fan fiction.

20. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    I posted about this before, but making Bran the new king is badly misunderstanding the character. But then you remember that none of these characters belong to B&W and it sort of makes a bit more sense how they can get such basic things wrong.

sitruc, MiLLeNNiuM and The Jitty Slitter repped this.
  21. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Once the big moments are over all you are left with is bad writing

sitruc and MiLLeNNiuM repped this.
  22. MiLLeNNiuM

MiLLeNNiuM Member+

Aug 28, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #422 MiLLeNNiuM, May 20, 2019
    Last edited: May 20, 2019
    For those who have been defending the show this season...

"Incompetence should not be rewarded with blind loyalty." --Varys

Here are the IMDB ratings for each episode in season 8:

upload_2019-5-20_0-58-29.png
    upload_2019-5-20_0-57-5.png

Chaos truly is a ladder... to nowhere!

I feel like Littlefinger should have lived to the end, he would thrive in this environment.

23. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    A couple of water bottles are the new Starbucks cup.

Dr. Wankler and bostonsoccermdl repped this.
  24. bostonsoccermdl

bostonsoccermdl Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Denver, CO
    I believe it was 2 in that one scene? That is a new record.

sitruc repped this.
  25. malby

malby Member+

Liverpool FC
    Republic of Ireland
    May 11, 2004
    Rep of Ireland
    Club:
    Drogheda United
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    It was by far the worst episode of the entire run of the show.

They show Grey Worm ruthlessly executing Lannisters for having the temerity of following their leader and fighting against his queen and yet were meant to believe he wouldn't have killed Jon and Tyrion for actually murdering his queen.