Game Day/Ticket and Stadium Questions

Discussion in 'Harrisburg City Islanders' started by Lancaster FC, May 2, 2013.

1. Lancaster FC

Lancaster FC Member+

Oct 2, 2007
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought i would start a catch all for people who might have questions:

1. I saw someone posted links earlier about where to get discount tickets from sponsors
    2. place for rumors on updates to facilities
    3. etc....
    have at it boys...

2. Hax

Hax BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 1, 2000
    New stadium an absolute must to stay competitive in the USL. As these editorials note, and as I've long said, it doesn't need to be fancy but something better than dilapidated bleachers and portajohns. Would the team really leave City Island? They are called the City Islanders for crying out loud! The location is amazing, but the Skyline Sports Complex needs a major overhaul. As much as I'd hate to see fieldturf, it does make sense for optimizing usage, concerts, other events. Considering how competitive this franchise has been despite the small market size of Harrisburg, they deserve it. I know the city is bankrupt, but perhaps some corporate entities and the Union can help with financing. A nice soccer stadium in Harrisburg could host NCAA tournaments (think about a Keystone Cup with Penn State, Bucknell, schools from Philly and Pittsburgh), international friendlies, youth tournaments, etc. Hope it happens!

3. Lancaster FC

Lancaster FC Member+

Oct 2, 2007
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree HBG needs a new stadium to stay competative in a "smaller market". Right now HBG is one of the smaller markets in USL, however i'm curious what happens to USL in the next 10 years. With MLS expanding do some of the bigger markets go to MLS. Do other "smaller" markets join to fill the need? What is USL expansion plans?

I know its a bit of a rabbit trail...

If I had my wish list: i would love to see it stay grass, 5k in seating (expandable to 7 or 8K), improved restaurant or deck with indoor/outdoor seating, and something to really highlight its great location. might need something to help with drainage/flood control.

4. Lancaster FC

Lancaster FC Member+

Oct 2, 2007
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I saw HCI posted this on their FB page.
    "Largest attendance this year! 2,170! Lets go City!"

what is the current capacity or largest attendance in history for a HCI game?

5. Hax

Hax BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 1, 2000
    It's kinda hard to say what capacity is since so much of Skyline is general admission with standing room, lawn chair seating, etc. I think the biggest crowd there was a friendly against DC United with an estimated 4,000 although the team twice drew over 5,000 for friendlies against DC United and Crystal Palace (UK) in different venues. This year's average attendance was 1,456 or an increase of 4 from last season. The team has posted their three worst seasons in attendances the past three years, which baffles me because the City Islanders have had so much success developing guys for MLS and played good, attractive soccer. Maybe they've lost fans to the Union who often play at the same time? The best season average Harrisburg had was in 2009 when 1,857 attended games, unfortunately it's been in decline ever since. Maybe the new stadium will help?

6. Hax

Hax BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 1, 2000
    One other note about last night's crowd: it was youth soccer night so the place was packed with kids in their City Islanders Academy jerseys. I wonder if the team survives by virtue of their youth setup and the pro team is sustained largely through those fees rather than attendance, merchandise, etc.?

7. Lancaster FC

Lancaster FC Member+

Oct 2, 2007
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. Lancaster FC

Lancaster FC Member+

Oct 2, 2007
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. Hax

Hax BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 1, 2000
    Yeah, those attendance numbers mentioned by WGAL are just plain goofy. The team averaged 1,456 fans per game this season with the largest crowd of the season being just over 2,000. A 3,000-seat stadium seems about right to me, with additional seating areas at the party deck and along the grass berm, that is if they stay at Skyline. The only time the team drew 4,000 fans was for the previously mentioned high-profile exhibitions against Palace and DCU. The annual friendly with the Union doesn't even draw more than their season average, so I don't think the team should look for a 6,000-seat venue. It really wouldn't cost much to improve Skyline in phases. First things first, take down the rickety bleachers and build some real seating, keep it along the one sideline with a supporter section behind the goal opposite the party deck. Set these new seating areas further back to maximize pitch size (oh, and resod and remove the crown). Add real restrooms and lockerroms, keep a food court but with permanent facilities. Eventually upgrade the party deck and press box. You don't need to spend a crazy amount of money, the best part of City Island is the view and setting, retain that and upgrade. If attendance swells, make the design expandable. The most difficult part is not the idea or planning, it's finding the financing in a bankrupt city that also happens to be one of the smallest markets in USL-PRO.

10. Lancaster FC

Lancaster FC Member+

Oct 2, 2007
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. ManuSooner

ManuSooner Member+

Nov 15, 2007
    Oklahoma City
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow! And I thought Bishop McGuinness was sub-optimal. I hope it goes through and they get a better facility. Good luck Harrisburg

12. G Enriquez

G Enriquez Member+

Apr 1, 2002
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    thomas19064 repped this.
  13. Hax

Hax BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 1, 2000
    Love plans, don't understand the light stanchions obstructing views in the drawings. Those have to be addressed, you can't spend all that money and build suites, etc. only to have obstructed views. Hope I'm reading that wrong and these are just preliminary sketches that indicate how the stadium will be set further back than the current bleachers.

14. Lancaster FC

Lancaster FC Member+

Oct 2, 2007
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yeah i saw that too... thought it was weird. I think the fact that they didn't release any drawling just had them as background meets they are just images for the press release and not actual drafts.

15. Baxter

Baxter Member

Aug 6, 2010
    Club:
    DC United
    Hello from Baltimore. I have 8 Islanders general admission tickets, good for all home games, section 1 to 7 available. Looks like I will not be able to use them. If you can or know someone else who can use them, please send me a pm. I can scan them to show you I do have them. I would like to get a few bucks per ticket. Make me an offer. Payment via paypal would be fine. I can send you a paypal invoice.

Thanks, Baxter

16. Lancaster FC

Lancaster FC Member+

Oct 2, 2007
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. Theopisa

Theopisa Member+

Pisa Sporting Club
    Italy
    Oct 7, 2008
    Venezia
    Club:
    Pisa Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Hello - I was looking for an information, is there parking at the stadium (or on the isle somewhere) or do people have to park somewhere else and then walk to the isle? I've never been to the stadium before and I may come this saturday (I don't live anywhere near Harrisburg)

18. ButlerBob

ButlerBob Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 13, 2001
    Evanston, IL
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Could one of the locals comment on how it is seeing the club in the 2 new venues this year? I understand they are both baseball stadiums, but how do they rate in viewing the game. I'm guessing the facilities for a fan are both way better then Skyline.

19. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States