PBP: Game day thread - USA v. Venezuela 6/9/19

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by FirstStar, Jun 9, 2019.

1. 50/50 Ball

50/50 Ball Member+

Sep 6, 2006
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am mostly with you but Roldan and Arriola are actually young.

akattack repped this.
  2. devad

devad Member

Nov 18, 2012
    Yeah. I guess I was thinking more of young as 18-21 (think Weah, Sargent, Mendez, McKennie, Adams, Richards.)

24 and not talented just has very little place in my roster. Perhaps as number 22 and 23 on the roster. Seems Berhalter seems them as core pieces.

And then you have the Bradley, Trapp (26 isn't that old I guess), Ream, etc.

Gacm32 and 50/50 Ball repped this.
  3. napper

napper Member+

Jan 14, 2014
    Fullerton
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree.

FLSoccerGran repped this.
  4. Fish On

Fish On Member

Oct 22, 2016
    Club:
    AC Mantova
    With 30 minutes left where was the fight? We will not qualify for 2022. Soccer is a running game. We dont even run...How do you not high pressure a team like Venezuela playing at home. One more game and zero goals, something has to change...No leadership on field or sidelines. We have regressed 30 years in these last 2 games. The sitting players would not have made a significant difference. If pulisic doesn't get a regular game at chelsea he is another yedlin...

Three and Three repped this.
  5. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    #680 HomietheClown, Jun 10, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2019
    I think the positives are that we won't face a Keeper as good as the one we faced yesterday. And of course we will have better players offensively out there come Copa Oro.

That said, it is difficult for me to envision a way we win the Copa here in Chicago with the way our Defense and Keeper situations look.

Here's to praying for a miracle on grass.

FLSoccerGran and Burr repped this.
  6. El-ahrairah

El-ahrairah Member+

Sep 20, 2004
    Wanker County
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What kind of miracle? One where the USMNT does it's impression of the Miracle on Ice at the Lake Placid Olympics and beats the best hockey team in the world and eventually win the gold medal in ice hockey? Or the miracle where the USMNT actually pulls it's collective head out of it's ass and starts playing like a team?

I don't know about you, but this first Gold Cup game has train wreck written all over it and if by some miracle the US doesn't lose to Guyane, we will win by the score of 1-0 on a penalty gifted to us in the dying minutes of the game.

After that, we will lose the next two games in the same fashion as we lost to Venezuela and that will be it for the USMNT. At least we know that we will be in the 2026 World Cup.

Oh yeah, yay for Savarino! It's great when a player for RSL scores for his national team. Too bad, it wasn't for the USMNT.

7. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    #682 HomietheClown, Jun 10, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2019
    By miracle I mean the back 4 and keeper situation gets better as the tournament goes on and we find a way to win the Cup when clearly we are not the best team in it.

TOAzer repped this.
  8. Jlpurelove

Jlpurelove Member

Jun 3, 2016
    charlotte nc
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    This what happens when you keep playing against concacaf teams.. Welcome to reality amigos.

FLSoccerGran repped this.
  9. randomnoise

randomnoise Member

United States
    Mar 26, 2017
    Great, now we're getting "advice" from fans of the shittiest teams in South America... Who's next, someone from Bolivia?

Burr repped this.
  10. orcrist

orcrist Member+

Jun 11, 2005
    Bay Area, California, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Especially funny since Peru just lost to El Salvador 0:2 a couple of months ago. Not a poster with much awareness of irony :D

Burr repped this.
  11. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Making the GC final is going to be enough to cement Egg's position.

12. nobody

nobody Member+

Jun 20, 2000
    The way this team looks, that's a big IF.

Burr repped this.
  13. Burr

Burr Member+

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Jul 8, 2014
    Tampa, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pretty sure we've been playing fewer CONCACAF teams lately anyhow...

14. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You are correct. of the last 17 games only 4 were Concacaf. 5 against Euro and 8 games against SA opponents

Burr repped this.
  15. Jlpurelove

Jlpurelove Member

Jun 3, 2016
    charlotte nc
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    Correction: The shittiest team in South America is Venezuela. The have never qualified to a World cup and yet, they kicked USA's ass.

Last time I checked, USA missed the world cup and Peru went to the world cup, so yes, Peru is above the USA now and always. And as long as the USMNT keeps playing against Concacaf teams and rejects to play in Copa Ameirca, the USMNT will continue to be a joke.

16. orcrist

orcrist Member+

Jun 11, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When have we rejected playing in Copa? I mean we've gone several times. We just played in one 3 years ago (Edit: and got 4th place). And this time it conflicts with the Gold Cup which is after all our *own* regional championship, so *all* the CONCACAF teams decided they couldn't go.

IOW, what the hell are you talking about?

More info:
    https://www.espn.com/soccer/club/un...ined-valuable-experience-at-2019-copa-america
    "In the end, it was determined that it was not feasible for CONCACAF teams to play at the 2019 Copa."

And, of course the brackets:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copa_América_Centenario#Knockout_stage

btlove and Burr repped this.
  17. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I watch a lot of South American futbol and I would say Peru is marginally better than the USA. And that is only because of their manager Gareca.
    If not for him they are pretty much at about the same level.

I will say the USA has much better youth prospects and if we can cultivate those players we will be able to make 2022 and make a deep run in 2026 as hosts.

Peru does not seem to have any good young players to take over the reigns and if they get a new manager may find themselves in a bad situation once again..

18. Jlpurelove

Jlpurelove Member

Jun 3, 2016
    charlotte nc
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    Please, the USSF has enough power to make this happen. If the USSF really wanted to have the USMNT participate in Copa America, it would happen period. But noooo.. they rather have the USMNT play in against Cuba and Nicaragua.

19. orcrist

orcrist Member+

Jun 11, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're just spouting nonsense with no basis in facts now.

20. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    This is not entirely true.
    Do you Remember 2015 when Mexico was invited to Copa America???? The CONCACAF basically made them bring a mediocre U22 team because the Gold Cup was their obligation,.
    There is no way the USA could have brought a good team to 2019 at all.

21. Jlpurelove

Jlpurelove Member

Jun 3, 2016
    charlotte nc
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    I am not saying this something that can happen overnight. If the USSF really wanted the USMNT to play in Copa America, they can discuss this with the Concacaf and Mexico to have the Gold Cup on a different year or different dates so that it does not overlap with Copa America. Again, this is only if they REALLY wanted the USMNT participate in Copa America. The conmebol has changed the Copa Ameirca schedule so that it better suites everybody so don't tell it cannot be done!.

22. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    This is not true yet again.
    The USA is not a dictator of the CONCACAF. The CONCACAF has a bunch of Caribbean Island dictators that basically out vote the USA and tell them what to do in these Gold Cups.
    There is no way the USA could send a good team to both Cups even if they "really wanted to" as you keep on saying.

sitruc and btlove repped this.
  23. orcrist

orcrist Member+

Jun 11, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's like he completely failed to read the article I linked covering the decision this year and just blathered on with his "I know I'm right" shtick.

btlove repped this.
  24. Jlpurelove

Jlpurelove Member

Jun 3, 2016
    charlotte nc
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    Really? Have you listened to your self? Those dictators from concaacaf islands can overpower a country like the US? I don't think you really think so. I hope you are smarter than that.

25. orcrist

orcrist Member+

Jun 11, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In CONCACAF voting, yes. This isn't the U.S. Army invading or something, it's a FIFA organization which until the big corruption scandal erupted a few years ago was dominated by someone from T&T.
    Learn a bit about CONCACAF before spouting nonsense.

sitruc, btlove and Burr repped this.