Game 33: RSL v New England. 10/18/18 - 7PM MT

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by 15 to 32, Oct 15, 2018.

1. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anyone remember the epic 6-0 game against New England in 2009? We scored all of our goals after minute 53, and all on the same goalkeeper: Brad Knighton, the same guy in the net for the Revs tonight.

Allez RSL and RoyalNonesuch repped this.
  2. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looked like nobody had Rowe on the run. Maybe Luke?

4-1.

3. Paleworm

Paleworm Member

Mar 4, 2011
    Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Shame to get scored on on a set piece given for a non-foul on a NE player already falling down (unless I misread that replay).

4. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who missed that chance? Solid save but shot right at Knighton.

EDIT: It was Luis Silva.

5. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Onuoha was beaten pretty easily up the line there, while Herrera made a great recovery run and slide tackle.

6. Paleworm

Paleworm Member

Mar 4, 2011
    Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There’s that Herrera speed. I like.

7. UPinSLC

UPinSLC Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    SL,UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Luke has had a pretty terrible game if I'm going to be honest, some decent breakups, but awful passing and lost his mark on the goal.

8. Paleworm

Paleworm Member

Mar 4, 2011
    Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didn’t want to be the negative one on his return, but I have noticed a number of poor one-touch pass attempts from his foot and head.

9. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LSilva has hit 2 right to Knighton tonight. His other 2 were well struck though. As I wrote this he couldn’t control a great pass to him and blew another chance.

10. Paleworm

Paleworm Member

Mar 4, 2011
    Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unfortunately couldn’t control that ball. What really ticked me off was him standing there with his arm raised for a handball for so long.

RSLer repped this.
  11. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well done!

12. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He just got named MOTM.

13. BalanceUT

BalanceUT RSL and THFC!

Oct 8, 2006
    Appalachia
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That bears repeating and tells serious truths about how badly New England's midfield played.

It was also a seriously ugly game. NE was hacking RSL players down from behind every 30 seconds.

14. BalanceUT

BalanceUT RSL and THFC!

Oct 8, 2006
    Appalachia
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is there a remotely good angle that shows he actually committed a foul? I couldn't see anything. But, our kid was being a bit loud and obnoxious, so I couldn't hear the commentators.

15. Paleworm

Paleworm Member

Mar 4, 2011
    Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I personally love the call cuz nothing’s better than a Rimando PK stop.

BalanceUT repped this.
  16. georg

georg Member+

May 25, 2009
    Parowan, Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well that was as much fun as I have had at Rio Tinto in a long long time.
    I am going to eat some crow here because Baird is pretty damn good. I was pretty down on him early this season but not anymore, kid has speed great touch and a hell of a lot of heart.
    Luke was just like the Luke we know, super high energy but not always on target.
    New Center back did pretty well, with Glad and Silva maybe time to look for a quality number nine.
    Side official on the east side flat out sucked! Did I mention that was a hell of a lot of fun?

Allez RSL and wrennywren repped this.
  17. RoyalNonesuch

RoyalNonesuch Member+

May 10, 2009
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Divide by 5 and round up, 4-1. SEE

18. irondeepbicycle

irondeepbicycle Member+

Real Salt Lake
    United States
    Jul 31, 2017
    Nedum Onuoha managed to play 90 minutes at center back without completing a pass forward.

Is this all that unusual? I mean it seems unbelievable to me but I don't always go looking for stats after games, so maybe this isn't that crazy.

19. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No. It was a dive.

20. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He passed back to Nick a lot but he was under a lot of pressure when he did. A couple of times I thought he was going to be dispossessed before getting rid of the ball.

21. stucknutah

stucknutah Member+

Feb 14, 2002
    In the Office
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    #71 stucknutah, Oct 19, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2018
    I know we are all waiting on 15 for a full report, so just a couple of quick thoughts about what is likely to have been the last home game of 2018.

- RSL missed Luke way more than I expected. He still has his shortcomings - not fast, small, fairly poor in possession. But he more than makes up for it by understanding who he is as a player. He is a high energy, forward-moving, attacking minded disrupter. Was his passing % fairly low? Yep. Was that because he was passing forward most of the time and putting NE under pressure? Absolutely. Frankly, if RSL had a 9 playing yesterday who moved faster than the tides, he could have completed even more. Add on the positive effect that Luke had on his teammates. He and Nick B KNEW they would be working hard and busting up everything in the middle. Then you finally add in the effect that Luke's effort had on the home crowd, and naming him as player of the game was actually a no-brainer. As a fan at that game, I felt proud to get to root for a player playing with such heart.

- Which all leads to a thought. Petke has preached that he wants to play a high press creating immediate opportunities. Unfortunately, 5 of the 6 starters who didn't play yesterday (KB, Plata, Sava, Rusnak and Glad) and one who did (Kreilach) AREN'T GOOD AT IT!! Beyond what you saw from Luke and Nick B working their socks off, Baird was very honest defensively and Bofo at least pretended to be. With the "starters", KB and Kreilach are slow, Plata and Sava are small and uninterested, Glad contains and doesn't win balls early, and Rusnak knows his effort would be wasted because most of the rest of the team won't work hard with him. This season, once Petke went with his "starters", he lost the ability to play his preferred system and instead had to play counters from balls won in the defensive 1/3 and possession, except for those moments when Sunny won balls early. Petke has a lot of personnel vs tactics decisions to make this off-season.

- Finally, someone explain to me why Luke, post back surgery, still looked more fit than many of the "starters" have looked all season. My impression is that the training staff is looking to get the team to a certain level. May I propose that the staff needs to raise the 'level" to where Luke keeps himself. We've heard for awhile that KB is the leader of this team. Perhaps he is. Last night we were all reminded that last year Luke was the HEART of the team...and he was sorely missed this season.

15 to 32, Allez RSL, BalanceUT and 2 others repped this.
  22. UofRSL

UofRSL Member

Jul 23, 2009
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So I saw the starting lineup and as I watched the game I still didn't realize Luis Silva was playing. He was basically invisible for most of the game and blew the chances he got.
    I've always thought that he could be a decent fit somewhere in our lineup, but I just don't see it happening anymore

23. stucknutah

stucknutah Member+

Feb 14, 2002
    In the Office
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Funny Silva moment from the1st half. RSL was rotating the ball around the back and We-Need-Him took a nice first touch and played a beautify ball over the top of what would have been the weak side of NE's defense into huge space. Unfortunately the "forward" at that moment on the right who should have been running by himself was Luis. Luis didn't even move and looked at We-Need-Him like he had lost his mind. LOL

24. georg

georg Member+

May 25, 2009
    Parowan, Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think we just read Luke’s fiancee’s first post on this thread. She loves her boy.

RSLer, UPinSLC, Paleworm and 1 other person repped this.
  25. stucknutah

stucknutah Member+

Feb 14, 2002
    In the Office
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    I've actually been quite critical of Luke in the past due to his obvious shortcomings. But that was VERY funny.

georg repped this.