Game 32 - RSL v Portland. 10/6/18. 7:30pm MT

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by 15 to 32, Oct 4, 2018.

1. georg

georg Member+

May 25, 2009
    Parowan, Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Against Kreilach on the cross into the box. Maybe 20 minutes left in our season.

2. wrennywren

wrennywren Member

Jul 15, 2004
    San Antonio TX
    That really, really sucks.

(my commentary is on point today)

Ismitje and georg repped this.
  3. BalanceUT

BalanceUT RSL and THFC!

Oct 8, 2006
    Appalachia
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That like never gets called. Players were astonished that it was being called in the early rounds of the World Cup in Russia.

georg repped this.
  4. georg

georg Member+

May 25, 2009
    Parowan, Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Should always be called, it is a foul in the box.

BalanceUT repped this.
  5. BalanceUT

BalanceUT RSL and THFC!

Oct 8, 2006
    Appalachia
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed.

6. georg

georg Member+

May 25, 2009
    Parowan, Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rematch in Portland is going to show if or if not? This team has any character.

7. georg

georg Member+

May 25, 2009
    Parowan, Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So was Albert counting his money tonight? Because he flat out was invisible.

SpiffCoug repped this.
  8. CrazyJ628

CrazyJ628 Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    The center of the Earth
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    #WaibelOut

15 to 32 and jessyca repped this.
  9. wrennywren

wrennywren Member

Jul 15, 2004
    San Antonio TX
    And the final suck of the day. I hope. Who cares.

10. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh geez, Besler. I know Nick was calling for the ball, but if you can't throw it to him, then don't.

11. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Suddenly I am really glad we were beaten early tonight, because giving up that goal when tied or ahead by one would really, really sting. Now you just sort of shrug and know it sucks, but oh well.

12. CrazyJ628

CrazyJ628 Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    The center of the Earth
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    I’m almost in the #PetkeOut camp after this one

BalanceUT and jessyca repped this.
  13. kirsoccer

kirsoccer BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 29, 2007
    I really find myself questioning Petke's decision making in the last two home games. As Ismitje pointed out after lineup came out, the Beckerman/Kreilach pairing deep in the midfield has been abysmal all year. Initially I assumed he was doing it to protect from both Beckerman and Sunny from missing next match due to yellow accumulations. Against Minnesta, the Rusnak substitution appeared to be the difference, and bringing Sunny on late in this game was a weird move. Missing Beckerman and Sunny will make the NER match one that RSL is very unlikely to pick up all 3 points.

acima and RSLer repped this.
  14. jessyca

jessyca Member

Jun 8, 2008
    SLC
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #petkeout and #waibelout, period.

15 to 32 and RSLer repped this.
  15. UPinSLC

UPinSLC Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    SL,UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm just going to say it, Sunny was awful, not being aggressive trying to clear the ball lead directly to the 2nd Timbers goal, it was over after that.

Glad I took a date to this game....who is from Portland...soooo lose/win?

acima, RSLer and Ismitje repped this.
  16. andyslc

andyslc No Longer a New Member

Sep 27, 2009
    Fargo
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I now they say CB's have a certain chemistry on the back line, but could have putting Onuoha in been much worse than whatever that performance was?

17. goobx1

goobx1 Member+

Jul 9, 2007
    Salt Lake
    And that’s how you play yourself out of the playoffs.

Not in the Petke out camp just yet.

Waibel for sure but not Petke.

This team is who we thought they were. Almost or barely a playoff team. There are still changes that really need to be made.

Definitely need a 9 with experience and is not a rookie. Need experienced help in the midfield to replace Kyle and definitely need to shake up the attack. Trade Bofo. Please.

BalanceUT and RSLer repped this.
  18. andylarsen

andylarsen Member

Apr 13, 2009
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    So I was trying to figure out at what point in the season I thought RSL could be pretty decent — not great, because obviously this team doesn't have the talent of the elite teams in MLS — but when I thought it they had enough to make the playoffs, maybe fight a little, and have a chance in the goofy world of MLS playoffs where even iffy teams can catch fire and win it all.

The obvious answer was the two 6-goal wins, but in retrospect, those performances were against some really awful defenses, and Colorado even was down to 9-men. Furthermore, in those games, Petke used the Damir-up-top, Rusnak/Sunny/Beckerman look that is clearly this team's best option.

But even when this team was doing well at home, it never felt like they were that good... because they're just not. Let's break it down, in vague rank of talent:

Rusnak: Nice player! Very talented. And yet over and over again, he seems to have no interest whatsoever in going and getting the ball: he'll even just chill right behind a defender as the situation begs for him to go help out the rest of his midfield. He's not Javi, and that's fine, but the difference is educational: Javi loved being on the ball. Rusnak loves making great plays on the occasions he gets the ball.

Kreliach: Nice player! Very talented. He's great as a CAM, and has even been decent enough at CF. He's fine as a CM as long as you understand that he can't be your defensive cover: he just doesn't have box-to-box workrate or defensive bite. Which is okay! But then why was Waibel's plan, apparently, to play him there?

Savarino: Fantastic dribbler, plus honestly inspiring + unique will to stay up despite defensive pressure to create. But he's a 7/10 finisher and passer, and isn't a possession guy in the midfield. Again, this is fine, but you can't count on him as a 4-5-1 piece.

Plata: Honestly, I think he's lost a step, though he's only 26. His production is pretty decent, but maybe the rest of MLS has caught up, some? He used to be able to rely on a couple of steps, then a quick bottom corner finish, but it seems like his touch is a little bit bigger than his peak.

Rimando: Started the season with a couple of gaffes, and I was worried he'd slipped, but he's been sensational over the last 6 weeks or so. He's a keeper. Oh god, the puns.

Glad: He'd be a lot better as your second best CB than as your best. Good intercepting CB, decent feel on the ball. Obviously, you want a physical CB next to him because he's 21 years old and weighs 21 pounds, not Nick f'ing Besler.

Lennon: For a guy who's just learning to be a RB, I think he's shockingly average at the attacking parts of his job. Not a great crosser or passer, but he does a good job getting back. Sometimes he makes rookie mistakes, but I think his long-term future is at RB, and I think he'll be a good one.

Sunny: Everyone is so concerned about what would happen if you just let Sunny play 90 minutes, like his lack of control would cause him to not only pick up a red card, but a cause a literal bomb to explode at midfield. But that he's only gotten a yellow-card accumulation suspension now is instructive, because while wild, he's gotten much better about that. And he actually does a good job of breaking up plays! Tonight notwithstanding, which was disappointing. But Sunny is better than...

Beckerman: He's lost five steps, and is pretty clearly the worst part of RSL's midfield. Gives absolutely no cover to his back line anymore, which is pretty sad. And when he does find himself on the ball, how often is the result an ugly, hopeful boot 45 yards up the field? Maybe it's just because no one is getting open for him, or maybe that's what Petke has instructed him to do, but it's not working.

Baird: He might be Rookie of the Year, and that's cool! He's very good at one run: a counter-attacking run on the left side of the field, splitting the CB and LB. He's not a tremendous finisher, but pretty good on the run. But he's not really an aerial threat, and while he tried to be tonight, he's not a hold-up guy. His play mostly just screams to me "What if RSL had an actual forward?" But who could have seen that need coming?

Besler: He should probably be your 7th best midfielder, so it's discouraging that he's played his role as the team's 3rd-best CB. At that, he is bad. Falls asleep on runs, isn't physically imposing, doesn't have speed or strength, doesn't connect well with Glad, etc. That Onuoha isn't playing over him means either A) it's a shocking mistake by Petke, B) a complete lack of preparation by Onuoha to stay in shape this summer, or C) it's possible he's come in and has underwhelmed on a "Fettucine" Alfredo Ortuno level.

Herrera: I don't get it. What is he good at? What potential does he have? He loses people on defense, makes awful mistakes on offense. I just don't think he's MLS level at all.

Okay, some others:

Saucedo: I don't know what he's necessarily adding off the bench other than fresh legs, but he's not fast enough or playing a position where that matters a ton. Nor is he a talented enough creator to justify putting him as AM, he just struggles with MLS-level defensive pressure.

Acosta: For the good of your career, and maybe even the USMNT, please leave RSL as soon as possible. For some reason, you're not going to play. Sorry. I don't know why.

M. Silva: Average MLS CB! Good-ish next to Glad! They're much better when he's healthy.

L. Silva: Not a forward, probably should be your 6th-best midfielder, but I'm not sure what he really brings to a game unless you're trying to see it out through possession. And then, are you subbing him in anyway? It is... problematic that he was the CF to start the season. How is he making $225K?

Phillips: He's 35! How was he part of the plan this year? Also, making $120K to not play.

It's been posited that soccer success is not about the star players, but improving your weakest link on the field. The problem for RSL: the DP signings have been a mess, and the stars aren't elite, and won't ever be. Atlanta, LA clubs, etc have raised the bar on that in a way RSL will struggle to match. Rusnak will never be Giovinco, I don't think he'll even be peak Valeri.

But worse than that: RSL players 7ish-23ish are either injured or frankly, not MLS starter level, and it costs RSL repeatedly. In other words, they're losing on both ends of the talent spectrum.

And then even worse is the lack of cohesion this roster makes. One rookie forward, the cheapest player, on the roster. Midfield players that don't make sense together. And a defense that simply isn't good enough.

Waibel's obviously to blame here, and I have no real doubt he's gone after the season. He's proven to be a wildly inconsistent talent evaluator, most notably at forward and outside backs. He's repeatedly given way too much money to aging talent, and when he tried not to (Javi) he blew the messaging. Rusnak, Sunny, Kreilach, Savarino, and even Burrito were wins, but the number and $ losses are staggering. Where his replacement comes from will be fascinating, though I'm not spectacularly optimistic about the team not promoting like Andy Williams or something. This needs to be an outside hire.

Whether or not Petke is a good coach is up in the air: I don't think he's a brilliant tactician, and he has continually made questionable lineup choices despite repeated in-game evidence to the contrary of his decision. But I think he probably deserves a chance with a roster that makes any sense whatsoever, and this winter's somewhat premature extension guarantees that - Dell Loy's not going to pay two coaches for that long.

So many of this team's contracts last through next season, so we should probably be somewhat realistic about how many changes on the roster to expect before March. But we will start to learn about the new GM and his vision, and hopefully it's one that can move RSL forward with a real identity that can work in the modern MLS.

15 to 32, Ivensor, BalanceUT and 5 others repped this.
  19. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is pretty much it. It’s not a good roster. The team reflects its organizational heirarchy tbh...It’s not good.

Some specific responses:
    1. Regarding Kreilach’s acquisition, I think Waibel simply fulfilled Petke’s criteria- - - “Get me a DM who is good on the attack”. And he did. The issue there is that Petke’s didn’t turn him loose, he has no chemistry with Beckerman, and it has taken a long time for him to adjust to the team and vice-versa.
    2. Lennon should grow into his new position rather well. I’m looking forward to him at RB next season.
    3. You were nice to Glad. That he’s a starter for us shows how bad our CB position group situation is.
    4. M. Silva needs to be traded. He’s talented and a nice asset when healthy. Buutttt....
    5. Herrera has improved the last few games. I think we need to keep him in the LB slot and see what happens.
    5. Boffo. I think there is still potential there, I’m just not sure if it will be realized. The dude has some skills. His Lone Ranger personality holds him back. He just doesn’t fit into a team concept.
    6. Baird’s role should be fresh legs off the bench.
    7. Acosta, Besler, L. Silva, Phillips all need to be cut loose.
    8. Sunny has bad days now and then, but for the most part the team is better when he is in.
    9. Beckerman’s role should be tough guy off the bench late. Maybe 4 or 5 starts.
    10. I don’t know what’s up with Rusnak. I do know that other teams pay a lot of attention to making sure he is tightly marked.
    11. Severino improved noticeably in the last half of the season.

20. SpiffCoug

SpiffCoug Member

Nov 10, 2004
    Orem, Ut
    Biggest game of the year and that's the effort we put forth. Abysmal.

I guess 2-hour church was a fair trade for that RSL performance?

Ivensor and wrennywren repped this.
  21. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Besler doesn't need to be cut loose. He's a perfect guy to have for depth. You just need to add players ahead of him at both CB and at DM.

BalanceUT, andyslc and goobx1 repped this.
  22. jessyca

jessyca Member

Jun 8, 2008
    SLC
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Genuinely curious: do you guys think Petke has what it takes to take this team to a championship?

23. PattysCow

PattysCow Member+

Apr 4, 2010
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    And Acosta? I think Petke just needs to get over his personal gripe with him instead of cutting him.

24. andyslc

andyslc No Longer a New Member

Sep 27, 2009
    Fargo
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As of know I don't think he even can get the team to the playoffs.

RSLer repped this.
  25. CrazyJ628

CrazyJ628 Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    The center of the Earth
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    I thought making the playoffs was this team’s ceiling at the start of the season and I stand by that. I think they’re better than 6th but they certainly aren’t playing like it

andyslc repped this.