Game 30: RSL @ ATL. 9/22/18. 5PM MT

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by 15 to 32, Sep 19, 2018.

1. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't have much confidence here. In fact, this has the potential of being the worst loss of the season. I expect Petke to go into ATL and play very conservative and look to just park the bus. Maybe we'll open it up a bit at moments, but getting into an open game with this ATL team would be suicide.

I am curious to see, given the situation, if we actually adjust tactics a bit and maybe even formation. Five in the back wouldn't be a terrible idea. Nor would truly not playing a nine. I think going out with our usual 4-2-3-1 is going to give far too much space for ATL's most dangerous players, so something has to change.

2. goobx1

goobx1 Member+

Jul 9, 2007
    Salt Lake
    I think that this game, like the last against Minnesota, could really tell us what kind of team RSL really is at the moment.

I really hoped that RSL would come out and put pressure and keep up the unselfish play that helped spark them to scoring goals in bunches but alas that was not to be. Pass the damn ball Plata.

So this game I'm expecting ATL to really lay the wood to RSL. So that means...

Who the hell knows.

I don't expect points from this game, or the next, but I have been wrong so many times this year.

Win or lose I will be happy if they play with passion, composure and just a little bite. Not like the second half of the last game where it looked like they got bit and were suffering from offensive rabies or something equally as ridiculous.

3. JLaw

JLaw Member

Aug 15, 2008
    Happy Valley
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

But I don't. We're going to get crushed.

4. Taragui

Taragui Member+

Aug 13, 2006
    Northern Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Sadly, this is how I am feeling lately about MLS as a whole. Are we past the point where a small market team can be competitive, or should I just adjust my expectations to being happy we even have a local team? Should I think the team can win or just enjoy seeing Zlatan, Schweinsteiger, etc. come to town once a year in a past-their-prime swansong world tour? I'm afraid that we've hit the era of teams with bigger bank balances dominating every year.

5. 2nd Mouse

2nd Mouse Member+

Apr 11, 2012
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good points, but it's been fun (-ish) to see guys like Zlatan and Timmy come to town and get their lunch handed to them.

RSL 1 - 4 AUFC.

6. El-ahrairah

El-ahrairah Member+

Sep 20, 2004
    Wanker County
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Using your hockey stick as a weapon to inflict as much damage and punishment that you can on an opponent. Often heard being yelled by drunken hockey fans (is there anything else) at hockey games. See "lay the lumber on an opponent".

7. El-ahrairah

El-ahrairah Member+

Sep 20, 2004
    Wanker County
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Relieve the Battle of Bunker Hill and bunker, bunker, bunker. Park that bus and not move it for any reason and hope for a goal on a set piece.

1-1 tie.

8. Allez RSL

Allez RSL Member+

Jun 20, 2007
    Home
    we gon lose

9. goobx1

goobx1 Member+

Jul 9, 2007
    Salt Lake
    So are you suggesting it was the smell of urine that lead to victory at bunker hill?

I hope they tell ATL to piss off too.

10. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We can't bunker this team; we aren't good enough. That's Olave-Borchers-Beckerman 2010-Wingert-Russell territory, not Glad-Besler-Beckerman 2018-Lennon-Herrera territory.

11. andyslc

andyslc No Longer a New Member

Sep 27, 2009
    Fargo
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This game will end our brief time with positive goal differential, and any hope of getting it for the rest of this season. At least this is the attitude I am carrying for this one... embrastsu

goobx1 repped this.
  12. El-ahrairah

El-ahrairah Member+

Sep 20, 2004
    Wanker County
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey, if the Icelandic national team can make the World Cup by playing bunkerball, RSL can win a game in Atlanta by doing the same. Have the team play a flat 4-4-2 and watch all the Iceland World Cup games to get in idea of how to play it.

13. El-ahrairah

El-ahrairah Member+

Sep 20, 2004
    Wanker County
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess I don't see what the smell of urine has to do with the battle of bunker hill but then maybe I don't know the whole story.

14. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Iceland uses their academy setup to develop an identity from the youngest ranks all the way to the top.
    We... well, in the most simple of terms, do not do that

acima repped this.
  15. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ATL looked vulnerable yesterday in San Jose
    But then came back from 3-1 down and won 4-3. So... Yeah, hopes are small of anything in this one but an absolute beating

16. pate

pate Member+

Jun 12, 2007
    Provo, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But, the academy, the Monarchs, player development, young starters . . . oh, nevermind

17. goobx1

goobx1 Member+

Jul 9, 2007
    Salt Lake
    So you meant Relive and not Relieve. My bad.

18. El-ahrairah

El-ahrairah Member+

Sep 20, 2004
    Wanker County
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh duh. "For want of a letter, a kingdom was lost....."

19. El-ahrairah

El-ahrairah Member+

Sep 20, 2004
    Wanker County
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not to get everyone's hope up, but.....Atlanta has a better record on the road than they do at home. Their home record is 8-2-4 and their road record is 10-3-2, so there is a slight possibility that RSL could steal a point or even win.

So, if we just hold hands, say "I believe in fairies" and click our heels together three times, RSL will win by a score of 7-0.

20. goobx1

goobx1 Member+

Jul 9, 2007
    Salt Lake
    But comedy was attempted. Poorly, but still attempted.

21. Dr. Dogfish

Dr. Dogfish Member

Aug 1, 2011
    Heart of Darkness
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ATL supporter here - here’s how you beat ATL. Take a page from DC. Defend with 32 players - all eleven, the bench, the coaching staff, the coach driver, the equipment manager, their moms. Then counter. ATL struggles with the bunker.

ATL’s game against SJ was an anomaly. We played a 4-3-3 for the first time, trying for a unique combo that might get all marquee players on the pitch at the same time.

22. DrownedElf

DrownedElf Member+

Jul 5, 2010
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can't think of a time RSL was ever good at bunkering though. Even when we had the best defense in the league, we'd still look sketchy trying to bunker for more than the last 10-15 mins of a game.

23. Dr. Dogfish

Dr. Dogfish Member

Aug 1, 2011
    Heart of Darkness
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nevertheless, the very reason why ATL’s home record is less impressive than their away record is because they struggle to break down any defensive posture. Doesn’t matter the team.

On the road, teams HAVE to attack, which is the kids of death against us.

24. Dr. Dogfish

Dr. Dogfish Member

Aug 1, 2011
    Heart of Darkness
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But don’t expect us to trot out that damned 4-3-3 again. That formation was buried in San Jose

25. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You should try a 3-3-4 instead. Today would be good.

15 to 32 repped this.