Game 22: Red Stars at FCKC 8/18/13 - 3:10 pm

Discussion in 'Chicago Red Stars' started by MRAD12, Aug 18, 2013.

1. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Well, this is it. Last game of the season. Nothing to gain or lose just getting some kids some playing time.

It is however a BIG game for FC Kansas City. The Blues are playing for home-field advantage throughout the play-offs. They will play all out.

To be honest with you, I wouldn't feel bad about a tie. Just being honest. Red Stars are my home team as I'm a season ticket holder, so as this final game is meaningless for the Red Stars, I would love to see FCKC get home-field advantage and bring the play-off games to a deserving fan base.

FCKC has some of my favorite players that I have watched over the years including college such as Lauren Cheney Holiday, Melissa Henderson, Courtney Jones, Jen Buczkowski and others.

Anyway, hoping for a good game all around and see you next year!

2. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the Red Stars can get the win. With their knack for late game heroics, and KC's surprising inability to close out games late, it's not implausible for Chicago to pull out one last bit of magic this season.

3. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    they did it!!

i have nothing but respect for this team.

4. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm normally not one to toot my own horn, but I called it.

5. Cville K C

Cville K C Member

Nov 3, 2008
    Collinsville, IL
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You have to give the Red Stars a lot of credit for finishing the season the way they did. One wonders if they had been able to finish the Washington game that was cut short by weather, if they would have found a way to score a late goal in that game as well.

The poor start to the season killed the Red Stars.

I just finished figuring the standings on only games from June 1 to the end of the season:

Chicago 8-4-4 28 pts
    Kansas City 8-4-4 28 pts
    W. New York 7-2-7 28 pts
    Portland 5-5-4 19 pts
    Boston 5-7-4 19 pts
    Sky Blue 4-5-5 17 pts
    Seattle 5-7-2 17 pts
    Washington 2-10-2 6 pts

Now I know Portland and Sky Blue, for example, played two less games over that time, but they still couldn't have made up the point differential if they had played those two extra games. So over the last three months of the season, Chicago was one of the three best teams in the league. And going to 2-1-1 against KC and 1-0-1 against WNY in those three months, one could argue they were the best team over the last three months. I know not many would agree with that assessment, but going strictly by the numbers, it's a valid argument.

Let's face it, Chicago rarely won pretty, but they sure as hell played to the end. No team could argue that they showed more grit and perserverance than the Red Stars.

No playoffs this year, but congrats to the team and the organization for a finish to be proud of!

6. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    YES. The heart of this team keeps beating. I didn't expect a win, honestly. I thought FCKC would unleash all firepower available on this group of Red Stars.
    I would have been happy with a tie. But playing for a tie would have been out of character for this team and they played their hearts out not only for themselves but for integrity. You can bet every game the CRS will play for a win till the last second.

7. Fanaddict

Fanaddict Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    streamwood IL USA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Unfortunately the link isn't working for me at the moment. But that pun. X-D

9. Fanaddict

Fanaddict Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    streamwood IL USA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Try it again now it is working.