Game 20: RSL @ LA Galaxy, 4 July @ 8:30 PM UDT

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by El-ahrairah, Jul 2, 2017.

1. stucknutah

stucknutah Member+

Feb 14, 2002
    In the Office
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nice win and great to see goals happen. It is amazing how well players finish when the ball has hit the back of the net a couple times (specifically, Sava's 1st and Pata's probably don't happen if the game is close.)

Quick comments:
    - Dunny was spot on about how deep the Gals were playing. It allowed all of RSL's offensive players to receive without high enough pressure to put them off. Plata was able to get the ball on his foot before he got bumped, and he thrived. Even Yura almost looked like he could act as a target.
    - Watching Rusnak run at a D is a thing of beauty. While Sava was given player of the game, Rusnak was sheer quality the whole time.
    - Maund is still Maund. My kids finally came to the conclusion that my preferred position for him is back up emergency goalkeeper, because ALL he does at an MLS level is clear balls off the line (for sure, a nice skill to have - but, you know, passing? tracking players? positioning? speed?) His replacement is only 2 years too late.
    - Loved the comment from Petke that the player are NOT getting extra time off during these two week, but are doing a mini training camp.
    - The Gals had nothing in the middle to threaten "the world's slowest d-mid pairing". There should be a lot of concern about this going forward. Almost every dangerous opportunity for the gals came from Luke not having the ability to handle pressure...oh, and nice assist on the last goal Luke.
    - We were given much more of a introduction to Petke's preferred attacking style. Tons of Beltran and Phillips in the final 1/3, giving RSL 6 going forward. Speaking of, was that Phillip's best game in an RSL kit?
    - Yura would not be my favorite teammate. His team hands him a no-brainer on a plate and he acts like HE had anything to do with the goal. Wait until he sees himself on video miss all of his other golden opportunities during the game. Unless he changes his attitude, there will not be improvement in his play...and my view is that Yura's replacement needs to be here soon.
    - Nice to see the guys enjoying their play.
    - DAMN to Gals were poor.

PumaJohnny, RSLer, DrownedElf and 6 others repped this.
  2. 2nd Mouse

2nd Mouse Member+

Apr 11, 2012
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    +1. Yura isn't really endearing himself to anyone.

15 to 32 repped this.
  3. CrazyJ628

CrazyJ628 Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    The center of the Earth
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    It's good to see what looks like the true 1st team all playing together. I hope this win bodes well for the rest of the season. If RSL can salvage a playoff spot from this season, I'll be happy. If they can somehow find a way to finish Top-4 in the West, then I'll be very happy.

4. goobx1

goobx1 Member+

Jul 9, 2007
    Salt Lake
    To make the playoffs the number to hit probably is going to be between 43-48 points. RSL has 14 games left to get into contention. Not much margin for error when needing anywhere from 23-28 points or more to get the last spot.

Also, every team but Vancouver have 1or 2 games in hand. Vancouver has 4.

Certainly doable.

If RSL does make the playoffs that puts Petke in COY territory.

It would be quite the turnaround.

RSLer, Lizzie Bee and The Franchise repped this.
  5. The Franchise

The Franchise Member+

Nov 13, 2014
    Bakersfield, CA
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Assuming sixth place 44 points (Vancouver's pace), that means RSL needs 1.72 PPG. This is how good Dallas has been this year. RSL hasn't managed 1.67 over any period longer than three games this season, but they need a hair better than that over 14 games.

I really don't want a pipe dream of the playoffs to get in the way of playing youth; that needs to be a higher priority than chasing a dream that just isn't in reach.

RSLer, rslfanboy, acima and 4 others repped this.
  6. goobx1

goobx1 Member+

Jul 9, 2007
    Salt Lake
    Agreed.

After last night there should be a little more optimism for RSL making the playoffs but the window is incredibly small.

If RSL can go on a run over the next 4-5 games and pick up some big points then you have a shot but if RSL continues on a point a game pace play the kids.

7. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wouldn't say its entirely playing youth. I think it's Petke finding his guys that are worth keeping in 2018 and parting ways with the rest. Certainly this should involve a lot of young players because it's a longer vision, but guys below 30 should all be in contention.

8. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    pump the brakes on the playoff talk. LA is god awful at home. Enjoy the single game for what it was. Should we go into Portland in two weeks and find a result, and follow it with a streak of home wins (3 at home in a row) then we can talk playoffs. Otherwise, just enjoy the season for what it is - a season of growing pains as the club takes on a new identity

Lizzie Bee and Allez RSL repped this.
  9. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anyone thinking playoffs should recall we lost to an Orlando team in the midst of a one-win-in-eleven streak, at home, just a few days ago.

RSLer, pcny, SenordrummeR2 and 1 other person repped this.
  10. goobx1

goobx1 Member+

Jul 9, 2007
    Salt Lake
    That's kinda what I said. There's a very small, say 4-5 game window, where RSL needs to score a boat load of points or any thought, talk or dream whatsoever about making the playoffs is moot.

Can they do it? Sure. Nothing is impossible.

Will they? My money would be on no at the moment but unlike the East the West is still pretty close in points. 13 points separates 1st, Dallas and KC from Minnesota at the bottom and 7 points from 1st to 6th.

The East has a a 19 point swing from 1st to 11th and 9 from 1st to 6th and looks to have the top 6 separating from the rest. It could all change pretty quickly but the East might just be sorting itself out a little quicker than the West.

LA sucked for sure last night but if RSL can find a little confidence and belief from that game moving forward the second half of the season should be better than the first. Which in and of itself would be a change over the last few seasons.

I'm in no way creaming my jeans like Brian Dunseth was on the broadcast last night. I was a little embarrassed for him but it has been a long season.

I think if RSL breaks the 40 point barrier this year I would find that a positive trend to end the season. 20 points to end the last 14 games would be 1.43 points a game which considering they are at 1 that would not be anything to sneeze at.

11. CrazyJ628

CrazyJ628 Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    The center of the Earth
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Portland is definately winnable. I think we lose to SKC but it's a home so, who knows.
    Columbus should be a win as should DC and Montreal. I don't expect playoffs but I don't think it's totally out of reach either.

12. El-ahrairah

El-ahrairah Member+

Sep 20, 2004
    Wanker County
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We are assuming that the number to make the playoffs is 43 - 48 points. I could very well be less than that if a majority of the teams in the West crash and burn like RSL did last year. But if RSL gets 40 points this season, I would think that the season was a success given how RSL ended last year and started this year.

goobx1 and CrazyJ628 repped this.
  13. Kratisto

Kratisto Member

Oct 19, 2014
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    only movsisyan's goal was a team goal. I am happy we got 6 goals. but we cant act like suddenly we are a kick ass team.

As other posters have said, the gals really, really sucked last night.

14. UPinSLC

UPinSLC Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    SL,UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The problem with this philosophy/mindset (that other west teams will crash and burn) is that now we face the reality that 6 teams make the playoffs and 5 don't. This isn't the good ol days where 6 of the 8 or 9 conference teams make the playoffs so basically you can shit the bed and still slip in. If half the teams in the west shit the bed it's going to mean the other half of the west teams are going to be beating up on them. Does RSL have what it takes to be a team that turns it around and starts beating up on teams that are crapping the bed? One game, against a strangely AWFUL home team, isn't enough to convince me that's the case. One game does not a trend make. The good news is that between now and the end of August we have 5 home games, 4 against western conference teams, and only 3 road games, 2 of which are against eastern conference teams. So the points are there for the taking and the schedule is favorable to make up ground on the west over the next 2 months. RSL has to stay healthy, though, and they have to take any momentum they can and hope the rest of the west drops those games in hand.

RSL has 8 home games and 6 road games remaining, we play away to LA again later in the year but other than that the rest of the road games look like draws at best and likely losses. For RSL to drag themselves to 43 points (Seattle's pace for the final spot) I'd think we'd have to go 6-0-2 at home (20 points) and managed a win or multiple draws on the road to get those last 3-4 points. That's a talllll task, so don't get your hopes up.

15. DrownedElf

DrownedElf Member+

Jul 5, 2010
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree with waiting another 3-4 games before thinking we might have a chance to make the playoffs. We've had other good performances this year, then followed them up with garbage play. I'm hopeful that this new CB can hit the ground running and help shore up our defensive woes. If we can stop leaking so many goals, it should give the offense more confidence going forward. If we can get another positive signing, like a CF, or an 8, that would also be welcome.

Extremely happy with a solid win, but I'll need to see more consistency before thinking we're on an upswing. I'll be more than fine missing the playoffs if it means we're trending upward. It would help make for a better offseason with Petke knowing who to keep or get rid of, while knowing which areas need strengthening.

16. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm at a lost
    did we not just lose at home to ********ing Orlando?

17. UofRSL

UofRSL Member

Jul 23, 2009
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sport club stats has us at a 6% chance to make the playoffs. Just above Minnesota and DC. This is a 5.2% jump from before we beat the Gals though

18. goobx1

goobx1 Member+

Jul 9, 2007
    Salt Lake
    Yup. But there's still a chance.

I don't think they make the playoffs. But until it's all but over I'll give them the benefit of the doubt that they can replicate a few more games like the LA game. Maybe not 6 goals but a recognizable attack and a little team cohesion to make me think they're headed int he right direction to end the season.

I'll even hope against hope that the new CB is a win and Waibel will pull another rabbit or two out of his sleeve to shore up the roster. maybe even a trade or two to start shaping this team into the shape of a Petke.

I think the odds of RSL making he playoffs is greater than Waibel coming through for them but it's still July and I can bask in the new CB signing and LA win for two weeks before reality returns to the pitch.

19. The Franchise

The Franchise Member+

Nov 13, 2014
    Bakersfield, CA
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Vancouver won, so the projected points at the end of the season for sixth in the West went up. At their current rate, Portland is expected to finish with about 46. That means RSL would need 1.86 PPG. Only two teams (Chicago and Toronto) have been at that level for the season so far.

If one of the teams in playoff position stumbles and Seattle has the pace to beat, then RSL needs 'only' 23 points.

20. SpiffCoug

SpiffCoug Member

Nov 10, 2004
    Orem, Ut
    That's just not true.

The first goal was a team goal with Rusnak applying defensive pressure and Luke providing support and being in a position to quickly get the ball to Plata once Rusnak won it. Then Rusnak made the run and was sprung free on the pass from Plata.

The second goal was a team goal. It may not have been in the proverbial run of play, but a corner kick requires two teammates to connect. It was poorly marked by the Gals, but it was a perfect corner from Albert and a great run by KB5.

Savarino's second goal was a team goal. There was good build up and Savarino continued his run to put himself in a position to follow up a teammate's (Rusnak) shot.

RSLer repped this.
  21. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My takes:
    1. Watching the Galaxy defense was fun. I kept thinking, "This is how fans of other teams have felt watching RSL's defense this season".
    2. Our defense wasn't that good. LA was just bad at making us pay for our style and our errors.
    3. It was fun watching "Beltrin" up high so much. The amazing thing is that he's one of the easiest guys in the league to defend and LA never pressured him. They gave him time and space all night.
    4. We ain't making no playoffs, but we demonstrated to other teams that if you just outright dismiss us you might get your ass whupped.
    5. A lot was made of the fact that the Galaxy has played 7 games in 21 days, but we have played 5 games in 17 days. Their injuries were more of a factor than their challenging schedule.
    6. I found some of the commentary interesting about how this season of poor home performances could not have come at a worse time for the Galaxy, considering local competition is on their horizon.
    7. I wonder how the game would have gone had LA scored first? Would the guys have lost all confidence and mailed it in? Us scoring the first goal and then the one just before the half were terrific for their confidence.
    8. Anyway, the result was totally unexpected and soccer was fun again. I hope they will treat us to a few more like this before the season is done.

22. BalanceUT

BalanceUT RSL and THFC!

Oct 8, 2006
    Appalachia
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I did watch this in real time. But, I'm out of the habit of Big Soccer posting.... we have justifiably a lot of negative right now... heck, I watch RSL games just because it's something to do after the family goes to bed. Even DW doesn't wait up to watch the train-wreck that is RSL, she wants to see a team that gives a damn.

Anyhoo... it was tons of fun. It means nothing. RSL needs to string together several performances that show team cohesiveness, winning attitude, and tenaciousness for me to 'stand up on my feet and Believe.'

goobx1 repped this.
  23. Boz

Boz RSL Family

Jul 14, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Balance, one must believe, then stand upon one's feet.

;)

BalanceUT repped this.