Game 18: RSL @ SJ. 8:30PM MT

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by 15 to 32, Jun 23, 2017.

1. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All right. I'm still ok with this prediction. Our goal was BS. Yes, Wondo didn;t have much of an impact. Still 0-2 was pretty close.

2. Todorojo

Todorojo Member

Oct 27, 2008
    South Weber, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    I don't think we need to bad mouth our goal. It was the last kick of the game, but the kids put together a nice play, something we failed to do most of the night. Hernandez made a great run and Bofo set him up well.

This wasn't like last week when Yura was the only guy still playing.

3. pcny

pcny Member

Sep 2, 2007
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    I remember when I used to watch every game expecting a win (unless it was in Texas). I watch this game and say, "well, we didn't look THAT bad."

Amazing how one's standards can change...

15 to 32, RSLer, UofRSL and 5 others repped this.
  4. andyslc

andyslc No Longer a New Member

Sep 27, 2009
    Fargo
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This game was Dom Kinnears last , so don't beat us embarrassingly and lose your job? Lol

TheBiff, 15 to 32, RSLer and 3 others repped this.
  5. RoyalNonesuch

RoyalNonesuch Member+

May 10, 2009
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow. That decision was probably made well before the RSL game, and just executed once everything came into place.

You could hear Dom yelling at his guys during parts of the broadcast.

It is however fun to think we're so horrible that a 2-1 win gets you fired. Yeah, it's fun.

The Franchise, Allez RSL, RSLer and 3 others repped this.
  6. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1. I can appreciate the desire to "go for it" from Petke with the lineup. But, at the same time, this team just gave up 15 ********ing goals over their last 3 road games. I was not a fan of the idea of Luke being the lone "defensive" minded player.
    2. Further, do y'all remember the last year or so of Chivas when they made a big deal about "attack with 5 / defend with 5"? and how ********ing terrible that worked out for them? The modern game is not simple enough to be like that.
    3. I got in a debate with KIR on twitter about Wingert starting this one. IMO, this season is to a point (and has been there for a bit) where playing any veteran player when you have a young player available that could use experience just doesn't make sense. Have Schmidt and Dunk been less than stellar? Of course, but why are we playing to win this one game when the season is shot? That's a narrow ass vision for what this club desperately needs - development.
    4. And it proved a ********ing terrible decision on the first goal. Were a lot of players to blame? Certainly. There's hardly a goal scored where multiple players aren't on the hook for a mistake. But Wingert had ample opportunity to sweep the ball away, like a good defender would for their teammates, and he whiffed. I mean, that tackle (and the line he took before it) were just atrocious.
    5. I will say, though, that as the half wore on we grew more and more into the game. I was pleased with the level of play we showed. We still gave up far too many opportunities for my liking (ones that a better team probably put one or two away on) but we kept it close. So kudos for that.
    6. What was sad, though, was that we had Yura/Silva/Plata/Brooks/Savarino all on the field. Yet, we had one shot on goal in the first half. We continue to get the ball into dangerous positions just to have a god-awful shot or the last pass being "just off".
    7. More on that - Yura makes arguably the weakest runs of any forward supposedly as good as he is. If the ball isn't within inches of where he wants it (and even then) he doesn't put in work to adjust his body. He makes a run to a dime sized spot and bitches if the ball isn't on said dime. I can't stand it. The services isn't THAT bad yet he continues to make zero effort to adjust his runs.
    8. The switch at half, IMO, really didn't do much to fix the problem. Telling Silva to drop in more was a bandaid fix at best. He isn't going to suddenly fix the central midfield issue we had. Another body there isn't the fix. A different person was.
    9. The SJ second goal was weak, yes, but it was a long time coming. Again, multiple players are at fault, but Maund looks especially bad on that play. Rimando took a bad angle, too. Based on his movement it looks like he was certain the guy was going to shoot near post.
    10. How many times do players have to slip before they accept the need different studs?
    11. Lima is a ********ing hack. How do you complain on either of those tackles? In CCL, both of those (especially on the road) probably get you a straight red. I'd love to see an additional fine or suspension for the second one.
    12. Its so very RSL to be up a man and look even worse. Credit to SJ for frustrating us. But, it wasn't just that. We looked genuinely lost out there after the red card.
    13. Godoy is a hack. I loved the yellow bofo got for a foul on him. Godoy deserved every bit of that foul if not more.
    14. I have serious doubts on us getting another point on the road this year. I would put serious money on not winning on the road in 2017 again. A draw could maybe happen, but we don't have all that easy of a road schedule.
    15. At the end of the day, we played above my expectations so that was nice. Still, we're a garbage team that has LOTS of players and staff that need to change by years end.

RSLer, DrownedElf, Lizzie Bee and 2 others repped this.
  7. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The whoscored stats are not flattering for a team that was up a man while down two goals. With that kind of scenario, you should see a spike in possession, passing, etc numbers. Instead, we lost on most every important category.

An especially interesting part of this game - especially when you factor in all the offensive talent supposedly on the field for us - the low amount of dribbles for RSL. Is it a case of moving the ball better? (passing numbers don't exactly support that) or did we simply not have confidence on the ball?

8. BalanceUT

BalanceUT RSL and THFC!

Oct 8, 2006
    Appalachia
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One does not need stats to see clearly we suck. Embratsu!

RSLer, 15 to 32 and rslfanboy repped this.
  9. Lizzie Bee

Lizzie Bee Member+

Jul 27, 2004
    Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll take that bet.

10. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're gonna regret, cause 15 to 32 is the best that's ever been.

11. Taragui

Taragui Member+

Aug 13, 2006
    Northern Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    cue fiddle....

SoccerMan94043, Beerking, RSLer and 2 others repped this.
  12. SoccerMan94043

SoccerMan94043 Member+

May 29, 2003
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Taragui, RSLer and 15 to 32 repped this.