Game 15 - Red Stars vs FCKC 7/14/13 - 3:00 pm

Discussion in 'Chicago Red Stars' started by MRAD12, Jul 11, 2013.

1. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Red Stars have maybe the most important game this year when they face FC Kansas City this Sunday at Benedictine. With a win and 3 points, the CRS can make a statement that they are not giving up on this year's play-off race.

The CRS are coming off a nice win against Washington.

2. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Very important game today. The Red Stars have a chance to jump ahead of the Boston Breakers in the standings into 5th place and within striking distance of the last play-off spot.

I like the addition of Leon. They now have a diverse set of attackers that can be played in various combinations.

Those of you watching the live stream feed, please send in texts asking Tom Sermanni when Lori Chalupny will be called back to the full USWNT. It is an injustice that this talented player is left out. I understand the health issue several years ago, but it seems to me that this may be in the past and US Soccer needs to address this.

3. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I haven't been watching for this, but is Chalupny doing any headers? If so, is she going up for contested headers?

4. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    My understanding was that it was the Fed's doctors who blocked her from playing, and I don't see how that would have changed just because the coach changed. Unfortunately. =-(

5. Cville K C

Cville K C Member

Nov 3, 2008
    Collinsville, IL
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Chalupny, I had pretty much quit discussing it two years ago, because people on the forums were stopping just short of calling me an indecent human being for suggesting Lori should be able to play after her concussions.

I have never understood, if they really had Lori's best interests at heart, why there wasn't a discussion between the doctors on this. I don't mean a public discussion, I mean a discussion between the national team doctor who made the decision and Lori's doctors, who cleared her to play and gave her a clean bill of health. Apparently, from what I've been able to piece together from the little the US team had said on the subject and interviews with Lori since the decision, that conversation never took place. If the national team doctor really believes that Lori's health was seriously at risk, shouldn't they have let Lori's doctors in on why they thought that.

I have heard others say there are other tangent issues involved as well...insurance...position (Lori played back for the USWNT and the theory is defenders have to use their heads more in contested situations than midfielders), etc.

I would say that Lori plays the game the way she's always played the game. The best way I can describe her is a blue collar player with a heck of a set of skills. But where she really shines is her work ethic and her decision making on the field.

If you look at both WPS and NWSL since the decision by the USWNT, Chalupny is consistently among the leaders among both fouls commited and fouls suffered. I don't think the concussions have changed the way she plays at all, but I will admit that at 5-4, she was never known for her headers.

The funny thing is that at the start of the 2010 season, the thing that seemed to sound the alarm regarding Chalupny were frequent headaches, which according to her, were later found to be caused by a sinus condition rather than the concussions. See this article by Grant Wahl:
    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/grant_wahl/10/27/soccer.concussions/index.html

I don't think this decision will ever be changed. She's already lost several years, probably her best years, with the USWNT as a result of this decision. I figure she would have been at around 200 caps by now had she been allowed to play. It's a shame, because I think we would be talking about her as one of the all-time greats on the USWNT at this point.

6. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do you know how many concussions she has had? Also, do you know if she was baseline tested pre-concussions and, if so, whether she ever returned to baseline? (I'm guessing she was not baseline tested, but if she was and never returned to baseline that would be a consideration.)

Also, I recall reading statements that she had decided to avoid contested headers. That's why I asked whether she now is going up for headers and, in particular, contested headers. I haven't seen a response yet on that.

I have experience with athletes and others who have had concussions, repeat concussions, and post-concussion syndrome. There remain a lot of physicians who do not take concussions seriously. I also have experience with physicians who, under pressure, will clear patients to play.

You may be right about Chalupny. If she has had multiple concussions, however, I am very leery of physicians who are clearing her to engage in all out, contested header, soccer.

7. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I was at the game yesterday but had to leave shortly after half time to go referee a local game myself.

This team does have heart and Rory Dames has figured out workable and successful combinations.

Also , as I often say, thank God for Lori Chalupny.

8. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
  9. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
  10. Wayne Famous

Wayne Famous Member

Jul 21, 2012
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Amazing comeback yesterday. Fantastic playing from Masar and Chalupny late.

Holding my breath on the Hemmings MRI today, but even as an eternal optimist, I have to say it didn't look good.

11. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A good finish, but a draw at home will not help in the playoff push :(