G.Best vs Messi& Cristiano Ronaldo

Discussion in 'Players & Legends' started by Homesmoina204, Apr 11, 2011.

1. mos_10

mos_10 New Member

Jan 2, 2011
    Club:
    Real Madrid
  2. phil80

phil80 Member

Aug 25, 2007
    Messi is only 23, if his form continues, he can score at this rate for another four years easy. To say it is only going to go downhill from this point forward is illogical.

3. Homesmoina204

Homesmoina204 Member

Apr 7, 2011
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Thank you dudes for ur insights and comments. So aftr reading all i m happy to come to the conclusion dt Bestie was a defender beater par excellence,Messi a prodogious genuis and Ronaldo a defence terrifying world class player. So my ranking would be
    1. George Best.
    2. Messi.
    3. Ronaldo.
    Bt i think if messi plays like he is playing right now and if he is as prolific with ARG he might end up being better than Pele, Maradona. Now Chris as we all know is like those sport film villian who no doubt talentd bt always end loses to the hero or fan fav playr(messi)

4. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    Statistically that's the truth ... players score less with older age as FACT .

So you THINK your "speculation is "logic" while the satistics are "illogic"?

Let's WAIT and SEE ... you can still hope ... La liga won;t fix their issue for anotehr 3,4 year so Messi will ONLY score more ? LOL

Lastly, DO NOT twisting my words: I said players (and Messi) will ONLY SCORE LESS whne getting older - not neccessary "downhill" like your own words! For example Pee did score less when older (69 onward) but becuase he got slower, and played deeper - not really "down hill" per se.

=================================================

Here is what Cruyff said (as a Barca legend and also a Barca "God like" influence of the games now and then ..

"Yes, he's on his way," Cruyff said, when asked how close Messi is to greatness. "He's just played now four years or something like that and the others have played at least 14 years, so he's got 10 more years to go with same quality and, hopefully, the same success."[/I]

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story/_/id/907316/johan-cruyff:-barca's-lionel-messi-trumps-real's-cristiano-ronaldo?cc=5901

5. phil80

phil80 Member

Aug 25, 2007
    No one is arguing that players score less as they age, but in this specific case the player is not done with his prime years, so he should not (logically) be scoring less for another three or four years. I dont know where your confusion is, it is not my speculation, it is logic. A player at 23 still has several years theoretically before his scoring numbers go down.

6. y.o.n.k.o

y.o.n.k.o Member

Jan 12, 2010
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    I think that Messi can continue on his form from the past 3 years for another 3-4 years, if he remains injury free. The question is, is he in his prime right now? If he is, how long can he sustain it, 3-4 or more years? And if he is not in his prime yet, then how better can he become once he reaches his prime? It could be scary for all his opponents (and critics/skeptics) if he is yet to reach his prime.

IMO, he has just entered his prime this season, considering his maturity and stats. This means he has reached that stage earlier than normal. Now it will be interesting to see how long his prime lasts.

What do you guys thing about this?

7. gmonn

gmonn Member+

Dec 8, 2005
    I don't know, he's still getting better every season, so I wouldn't call this his prime yet. As a speedy forward you expect him to peak early, but as an aspiring and growing playmaker you expect him to peak later. He's in his scoring prime right now, and was last season also. As a playmaker, he's not yet in his prime, and when it begins it could last until he's 31 like Xavi.

8. schwuppe

schwuppe Member+

Sep 17, 2009
    Club:
    FC Kryvbas Kryvyi Rih

This is complete bollocks.

Name me a player other than Pele who had even five seasons as good as Messi now.

9. benficafan3

benficafan3 Member+

Nov 16, 2005
    Gerd Muller was damn consistent over a real long period of time. Consistently excellent, too.

10. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    Meazza, Puskas, Di Stefano, PELE, Eusebio, Cruyff Beckenbauer, Muller , Zico, Maradona Yashin, Dino Zoff Maldini Baresi D>Santos, Nilton Santos, Sepp Maier all had at least 7-12 years of world class

Garrincha, Rivelino, Socrates, Platini, Ronaldo, Basten, Zidane, Gullit, Baggio Romario Charlton, Scirea, Krol, Passarella, Schmeichel, Filol ... all hasd at least 5 to 8 yrs of worldclass

11. schwuppe

schwuppe Member+

Sep 17, 2009
    Club:
    FC Kryvbas Kryvyi Rih
    Years of World class ≠ years Messi has right now

Thank you

12. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    Of course there is a difference as Messi enjoyed the LIga downfall while the others gotta perform with more competitive seasons ...

Now thank you to remind the last 2,3 terrible seasons of La LIga

13. y.o.n.k.o

y.o.n.k.o Member

Jan 12, 2010
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Oh, those terrible competitors from La Liga are so bad!

Atletico Madrid won UEFA cup last season and Villarreal are in the semi-finals this year. Both teams give Barca very hard games on a regular basis in La Liga, regardless of where they are in the standings. Face it, you don't watch La Liga games, you just look at standings and stats. That is how you draw your conclusions. Take a look where Barca and Real M lost points in La Liga this season.

Meanwhile, in the EPL, Man United doesn't even have to sweat a lot. They just watch how all their title competitors fall apart as the season goes on.

14. schwuppe

schwuppe Member+

Sep 17, 2009
    Club:
    FC Kryvbas Kryvyi Rih
    worst post ever

15. phil80

phil80 Member

Aug 25, 2007
    :rolleyes:
    What a poor, tired argument. Even if what you said were true, which its not, his performances in the champions league for the past several seasons disprove your claim whole-heartedly.

16. condor11

condor11 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 2, 2002
    New Zealand
    not to mention Barca beat Arsenal comfortably enough two years running...Hercules put up more of a fight

if anything la Liga is underrated, the epl is overrated and they are both about the same quality overall

17. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    We are not talking of the "overated" or so... Barca and Real are always among the best teams in the world with or without the liga crisis.

Let's move to the other thread to discuss of this particular case:1
    1- with just more than HALF a season gone, and the 3rd, 4th best teams (liga) have NO chance for the competition as the gap become beyond the reach/dream

2- The (even bigger gap) between the top 2teams (Barca and Real) in financial to the rest is just ridiculous for a so called "tournament or competition" - there is NONE but the two teams rival to eachother (since 2008 up)

=================================================

Note that I am a big fan of La liga since 80's, and La Liga was still #1 and very competitive from 2000 up to 2006

18. y.o.n.k.o

y.o.n.k.o Member

Jan 12, 2010
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    But you can't just look at the standings and the difference in points, James. You have to actually watch the games to see that Barca and Real M don't have their wins easily. There are plenty of teams that put up a very strong fight against these two. Most of the time, Barca and Real M still end up winning those games anyway, as they have the two best players in the World in Messi and C.Ronaldo, respectively. But it is not as easy as it looks from the standings, nevertheless.

Meanwhile, Man United regularly play below par for most of the game and still end up winning against many teams in the EPL. Their top scorer is on the bench for every game against a top opposition.

The EPL may be more competitive but the quality of play is worst than La Liga's and even the Bundesliga's. Barcelona toyed with Arsenal, one of the best playing sides in the EPL. Imagine what they would do if they play against a mid-table team?! They can beat 4-5 EPL teams, as badly as they did Almeria in the Fall. Real M under Mourinho could do pretty much the same.

EPL has always been overrated and probably always will be. The best players do not play there. The league is full of average quality, physically dominating foreign and domestic players.

19. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    As keen as I am to jump in and refute all this, I've seen too many threads go off on a La Liga v. Premiership tilt before.

This isn't the thread for this.

20. Izzy9

Izzy9 Member

Apr 21, 2011
    U.S.
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I watched a few videos on Best and based on what I saw, he is the best dribbler of the three. However, I think Messi is more valuable as a player than Best ever was due to his scoring ability. Best was not only a great dribbler but, also a great passer and a good (not great) scorer. However, Messi has become a great scorer and also a great passer. So far this season, Messi has scored, 49 goals and has at least 20 assists in all european competitions and still has about 8 games left. That is simply amazing! Messi strikes more fear in the opposition than Best did in his days. C. Ronaldo is a fantastic player but, he is not at Messi's level. The discussion should really be between Best and Messi. I know, in the past, when Ronaldo played for Man. U., he was compared with Best, but I always thought it was premature because Best was more of a complete player than the one-footed Ronaldo will ever be. Don't get me wrong, I think C. Ronaldo, is definitely the second Best player in the world right now behind Messi and is worth his price in the current soccer market nowadays.

Overall, when you take everything into consideration, Messi is either at the same level as Best or has surpassed him.
    The only player right who can match Best in terms of dribbling is Neymar.

21. verde-rubro

verde-rubro Member+

C.S.Maritimo + Liverpool FC
    Portugal
    Jan 15, 2005
    LONDON
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    :D that so funny try staying off the wacky backy ;)

22. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    We had a long discussion of this phenomenon Liga today ... and that helps boosting Messi and CR7 goal stats considerately.

CR7 might not be a great two footed like the Real Ronaldo, Pele, or Zidane but he is definitely a two footed player.

23. Izzy9

Izzy9 Member

Apr 21, 2011
    U.S.
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I will accept that. By the way, Ronaldo Nazario is probably the best two-footed ever. According to Zagallo, he was a better two-footed player than Pele.

24. SirWellingtonSilva

May 30, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    While it may not be true la liga teams have gotten weak, their performances in the champions league and eurupa league suggest la liga still has alot of quality, this does NOT validate messi and ronaldo's scoring records. There is clearly a huge gap between madrid and barca compared to the rest of the league, not because the rest of the league is bad, but because barca and madrid have gotten much better. That itself is a big advantage to ronaldo and messi and it is logical to suggest that would inflate their scoring records. Regardless of that, messi is clearly one of the best players ever, and ronaldo one of the best of his generation. Best was a fantastic talent, comparable with messi if not ronaldo. My opinion : Messi (just) > Best > Ronaldo

25. Heinz

Heinz Member

Nov 19, 2005
    Evergreen State
    Well, instead of just comparing the leagues that they've played in, why not just go ahead and compare their teammates too? Surely, Messi without Xavi and Inesta = Messi (Argentina version) < Thomas Muller < Best < C. Ronaldo :D