Future USWNT Players in Upcoming Cycle (2015-2019)

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by FC Radar USA, Jun 26, 2015.

1. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I thought newsouth said she'll play for O' Canada, are you sayin there's some star spangled baby in her?

2. BrooklynSoccer

BrooklynSoccer Member+

Jan 22, 2008
    She played for the Canadian youth teams.
    She never played for US junior teams in a competition, she did train with them, i think only once.

3. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    She played for Canada in a competition at the U17 level. That pretty much meant she would have to make a one-time switch to do more than be in a camp for the US.

4. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    ...to you.

some people have track in their blood. it's much more fun to them than running after a ball or toward goal.

5. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Being a numbers person, I'm wondering if there might be some quantitative standards that could identify players from the NWSL who should get serious looks for the WNT roster and another set of quantitative standards for college players. The standards would have to relate to data that's accessible and reasonably reliable. I can see the possibility of data for forwards and GKs, but it's hard to figure what one would use for midfielders and defenders that would be specific to particular players. For that group, it's not that the data couldn't be developed (I've seen reports on passes attempted and completed, etc.), it's rather that it isn't generally available now and certainly isn't collected in a systematic way for the entire caste of potential candidates.

What I'm looking for is some way to measure players' potential that isn't simply posters' personal opinions. I.e., "Who are they and what are the numbers that prove it?" An impossibility?

Smallchief repped this.
  6. Smallchief

Smallchief Member+

Oct 27, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I share your desire -- but also think it is an impossibility to prove potential --- although one can do so with a fair probability.

I have long been irritated at the lack of detailed statistics coming out of the national team. At a minimum the NT should release individual and team stats comparable to those released by the NWSL -- which are pretty good.

You're probably familiar with him, but for those who havent a guy named Devin Pleuler posts on twitter some good, albeit occasional, work on the National Team. For me, his graphic of about a year ago showing the direction and destination of each and every pass by the NT in a couple of games was influential. I concluded, for example, that Holiday and Lloyd hardly ever passed to Christen Press on the right flank. For whatever reason, Press was left out of the game. That's an important tidbit of information in my opinion.

7. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Well Ellis is a numbers person as well so there's ur hope. At some level it's probably a numbers game right now. Somewhere in the deep recesses of April Heinrich's root cellar Id be pretty sure that most of the players in and around the pool have an evaluation. My problem with the system is these metrics dont seem to get updated so if u werent a candidate at 20 it's very hard to become one based on league play.

8. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    League play is exactly what I'm talking about. I remember the graphic Smallchief is talking about. And, I know there is software for assembling team statistics -- passes attempted, completed, etc. -- that, of course, requires someone to be entering data either as the game goes on or while watching a replay. With enough data entry time, that could be done by player. There aren't that many NWSL games, couldn't the WNT have a staffer who sits there with a computer, watches all the NWLS games, and enters the player by player data? I know that wouldn't give the entire picture about a player, but perhaps there could be thresholds a player could meet that would merit a WNT look?

9. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    The best chance u have at this is having an independent source keeping track of and collating the data on a web page so the NT could have access to it. The NWSL front office currently takes three days to approve a trade, 6 months to get out a schedule and all their league announcements begin with ICYMI. I would think anything they could not glean from the official match sheet would be beyond them...HOWEVER...I do think it's a very good idea and wish it would happen in some form.

10. brjohnson

brjohnson Member

May 30, 2015
    indiana
    would like to have seen what sanchez could do right now along with pugh. her talent looks to be at or near pugh's level. ucla getting both is unfair.

i havent heard or read savannah jordan's name in a while...