Future USWNT Players in Upcoming Cycle (2015-2019)

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by FC Radar USA, Jun 26, 2015.

1. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Member

Jul 18, 2011
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    So her style is a bit like Iniesta?

2. BrooklynSoccer

BrooklynSoccer Member+

Jan 22, 2008
    I've watched her a bunch, she's not slow...she's just slight. which is why she was passed up by teams early on. but it also allows her to move with the agility of a brazillian on the ball - she turns better than any american, imo.

3. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    been pushing this name (rose l.) since 2013.

so everytime i see a post on her i jump in with an enthusiastic "yes"!!

with regard to some of the earlier names in this thread -

i've changed my mind on some of these players.

horan - no. good technique, but too achingly slow for the international game.

hagen - no. from what i've seen in the nwsl, she is being bypassed by new and younger forwards. i'd take huerta and williams before i'd take her.

winters - again no. she seem good only because she's in seattle's system. doesn't do enough for me for an nt callup.

4. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Member

Jul 18, 2011
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    So Robinho?

5. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Member

Jul 18, 2011
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I've watched the 2014 U20 WWC, Horan was awesome. How about Sarah Hagen? Does she have great mobility?

BrooklynSoccer repped this.
  6. BrooklynSoccer

BrooklynSoccer Member+

Jan 22, 2008
    I agree, i like her game. Some posters here think she's too slow. But she's so technical and smart, she deserves her chance. (i don't think she's THAT slow)

I will say, between Brian, JJ, Rose, Dunn, Horan we have some really technically gifted players coming up....more technical than just about everyone on the current team and on par with Rapinoe and Heath.

Namdynamo repped this.
  7. ForeverLOST108

ForeverLOST108 Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Orlando
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't forget to add DiBernardo & Huerta.

8. BrooklynSoccer

BrooklynSoccer Member+

Jan 22, 2008
    true, i've only seen Huerta play once though (oopsie daisy) ya'll think she's got the goods? how does she play?

9. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    #34 luvdagame, Aug 4, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2015
    same games different eyes.

horan was awful.

she always impresses with her technique. that's a given. but there are a lot of supremely technical players who never make it to the international level because they simply cannot get to the ball before the defender.

for someone around who's attacking prowess the team was built, horan disappointed. thru balls played into space for her repeatedly showed that her top speed was barely a canter.

...and this was at the u20 level.

10. BrooklynSoccer

BrooklynSoccer Member+

Jan 22, 2008
    awful...

I could eat a bowl of alphabet soup and sh*t out a smarter, truer statement than that.

11. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    I thought Horan did a good job at the U20 WWC and yes when you see at PSG she is not quick as a center forward. But Wambach is not either and she made a good career out of it.

12. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    that's because of wambach's excellence at a particular kind of scoring - at which horan is not preeminent.

13. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    I dont think Horan was the biggest problem with the U20s but her performance didnt cry NT either. It wasnt like 2012 when u watched Johnston, Dunn and oddly Ohai and thought NT sooner than later.

14. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    i could similarly characterize your statement about her performance, but i wouldn't. because one truism about football is that people look at the same game(s) and see different things.

just stating the way i saw her play.

15. BrooklynSoccer

BrooklynSoccer Member+

Jan 22, 2008
    Except there are objective statistics to quantify a players performance that weed out the idiotic subject opinions, such as "she's awful".

She has 46 Goals in 63 caps for a first division French club team, as an 18 year old to 20 year old.
    She was her team leader in goals, shared with ASLLANI, and ranked 6th in the league.
    She had 24 Goals in 26 caps for U20

16. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    #41 luvdagame, Aug 4, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2015
    that's not what i said. i said:
    obviously speaking of the 2014 u20 wc and the fact that as the only pro in the team she should have, imho, done much better specifically against the better teams where she was desperately needed.

i also said:

so it's clear that i do not think that "she is awful".

my opinion, idiotic according to you, is simply that she was substandard against germany and dprk when she was really needed - and that at the u20 level - and therefore does not deserve a call up to the wnt.

thankfully, that's not a prediction. she'll certainly get a call up if the wnt coaches think she deserves it.

it's just mho.

17. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Philadelphia Independence
    Yeah I don't think anyone is claiming she was the problem with that team. I do agree with the rest of the statement though. I was someone who hadn't seen much of the youth but her performance in the U20 left me less than impressed. On the other hand, I was mightily impressed with Lavelle and has been on her bandwagon since than. I think she should start at least training with the full NT to get her acclimated with the game on that level if we want to use her in 2019.

18. WWC_Movement

WWC_Movement Red Card

Dec 10, 2014
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Papua New Guinea
    She's not as slow as Wombat.

19. BrooklynSoccer

BrooklynSoccer Member+

Jan 22, 2008
    Lotta backtracking above.

http://espn.go.com/espnw/news-comme...-least-one-uswnt-veteran-misses-2016-olympics

Foudy's Olympics roster:
    (yea..it includes Horan...)

Goalkeepers: Hope Solo, Ashlyn Harris
    Defenders: Becky Sauerbrunn, Meghan Klingenberg, Ali Krieger, Julie Johnston, Kelley O'Hara, Whitney Engen
    Midfielders: Carli Lloyd, Megan Rapinoe, Morgan Brian, Tobin Heath, Crystal Dunn
    Forwards: Abby Wambach, Alex Morgan, Christen Press, Amy Rodriguez, Lindsey Horan

20. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Philadelphia Independence
    I don't see how Horan makes this team given that she hasn't been called up to a senior camp in recent years. Also, when they will be qualifying in February she will be with her French team. It is more likely that a forward from the NWSL take a forward spot if it is up for grabs.

21. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Too bad the victory tour coincides with the NCAA schedule. Because they dont have to pay Lavelle it probably wouldnt have been hard to bring her into the camps for the victory tour to get her some practice time with the big team.

BrooklynSoccer repped this.
  22. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders

sitruc repped this.
  23. Calci0

Calci0 Member

Jun 22, 2013
    NC
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    If she thinks Horan can rebound from her injury, why couldn't Leroux? So Leroux's spot depends on how fast she comes back from her injury.
    If she's out until the beginning of November, and the Olympics aren't until August 5th?!?

24. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Despite a Stanford education, Foudy is awful at Math.