Future of the Silverbacks

Discussion in 'Atlanta NASL' started by TerminusFooty, Sep 13, 2013.

1. TerminusFooty

TerminusFooty Member+

Feb 4, 2012
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Okay, time to start discussing this. In light of recent MLS to ATL news, does anyone have the inside skinny on the future of ASFC?

Is Blank planning on buying the club and maintaining some continuity between now and his MLS team's debut?

If not, is ASFC going out of business? Will we be without soccer for a couple seasons? There has been NO news since they announced the team was up for sale earlier this year.

Anyone with updates, please share...

2. blkbrnrvr

blkbrnrvr Member

Mar 2, 2003
    Auburn metro
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    I've heard nothing concrete at this point, but I can only hope that Blank would see fit to continue on with the Silverbacks identity. It's been around for a while now, the fanbase is there, and hey, they're winning trophies these days. Would be a shame to see it disappear.

On top of that, I'd love to see Wynalda and Haynes still on board should or when the life in MLS comes. I'd like to see what they could engineer at that level with a bit more money to spend.

3. GoDawgsGo

GoDawgsGo Member+

Nov 11, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A bit early in the game folks. The earliest MLS in ATL would start is 2017.

Just a personal opinion but I highly doubt Blank gives a damn about Silverbacks at all. I'm sure they will be around until MLS starts up. Does anyone see them competing head to head with MLS for ticket sales? I don't. I highly doubt any ownership group is going to help them out when no one is going to games either.

Assuming MLS kicks off in ATL in 2017, I'd guess Silverbacks Pro team is gone by 2018/2019.

On the flip side and a more positive guess; maybe he buys them out, changes them to USL (assuming that MLS/USL partnership continues) and uses the Silverbacks as their farm team.

4. TerminusFooty

TerminusFooty Member+

Feb 4, 2012
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are we sure Traffic and Boris are willing to keep the club around until then, seeing as how they've been trying to sell it off? That's the crux of the issue. Time will tell, I guess.

5. Bisquick_in_da_MGM

Jul 26, 2013
    Club:
    Atlanta
    They should move to Birmingham.

6. TerminusFooty

TerminusFooty Member+

Feb 4, 2012
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. 30King

30King Member+

Jul 22, 2013
    Rocklin, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Is there any advantage/ incentive for Blank to buy out the Silverbacks? Besides keeping the team name, is there infrastructure or logistical issues in the background that would aid the MLS franchise?

If he ponies up the $$$ to buy the Silverbacks, what does he gain?

8. TerminusFooty

TerminusFooty Member+

Feb 4, 2012
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #8 TerminusFooty, Sep 15, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2013
    Honestly, I am just hoping not to miss a season of footy, lol. I guess he would get a ready made fanbase to generate buzz for a couple years until the team moves up to MLS, not to mention some practice at running a soccer club before they hit the big time.

As for the name, I am one of those in favor of Atlanta FC. (Since they own both the Silverbacks and Chiefs names, adopt them both as unofficial nicknames. Sell a little retro gear from both of those clubs. Embrace the entire history all the way back to 1967. But the crest just says Atlanta FC.)

9. cflsteve

cflsteve Member

Jul 21, 2013
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    From what I have read the current owners want out so the team is basically there for the taking by who ever may want to buy them.
    For Arthur Blank Promoting an Atlanta MLS team with his NFL Falcons team at a stadium that is specifically going to be built to be converted from a larger NFL venue capacity to a smaller more inimate MLS capacity very similar to what is being done in Vancouver at BC place. Blank seems to be very serieous about the MLS by also making the stadium wide enough to comfortablty fit a full size soccer pitch unlike many of the NFL venues who tend to not have the full width. In there I really do not see the Silverbacks franchise fitting into Blank's scheme.
    However width everything already in place to bring an NASL team to Hamilton; the new stadium, agreement with the Caretaker and the city on costs for using the stadium could Bob Young perhaps find it easier to buy the SB a team he once was part of and move them to a city that he has a lot of passion for in Hamilton.
    Instead of starting from scratch he would be able to bring key members of the staff and keep a core of their better players while adding the Canadian player flavor that would be impotant to woning a franchise in Canada.
    If Young does take a pass would the Flames LP be interested in doing the same that they did when purchasing majority shares in the CFL Calgary Stamps keeping all key personell in place while placing them under the Umbrella of the Flames LP front office of promtion and management.
    Flames LP have already began making some small upgrades to McMahon Stadium in its first full season and offseason to go along with the already under belly of the venue with first class training facilities for the Stamps as well as the CIS university football Calgary Dino's. Perhahps investing in a seperate building next to the stadium for their soccer team to have the similar first class locker room and training etc.
    I can see these two possibilities making much more sense for one of the two Canadian ownership groups to make an easier transition into a new sport and new venture for their synergy of their teams

10. oneeyedfool

oneeyedfool Member+

Nov 17, 2012
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Would there be any substantial value in moving a NASL franchise vs starting a new one? Unless the fee to buy it is cheaper then the franchise fee, I don't see it. Maybe there's a little bit in terms of already having staff and players but those folks will likely be available anyway.

11. cflsteve

cflsteve Member

Jul 21, 2013
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    I am not sure really. I guess my last post would be more of a question as to what or who would benfit from buying a team like the Silverbacks as opposed to starting from scratch with an expansion franchise.
    Its been done both ways in all sports so I guess it would be based on an induvisuals needs on whether to buy and move or start an expansion franchise if there is a choice.
    As for this situation with the Silverbacks there seems to be that choice.
    I will be very interested to see what happens.
    Either way I can see soccer in NA US/CANADA MLS/NASL ready to step up into a higher level of success as well as popularity:thumbsup:

GoDawgsGo repped this.
  12. TerminusFooty

TerminusFooty Member+

Feb 4, 2012
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hope either Hamilton or Calgary gets a club.

Although it would be nice to have our hockey team back. ;)

13. drummer

drummer Member

Nov 29, 1999
    Atlanta
    Why buy the Silverbacks and turn them into an MLS team?

For the same reason Seattle and Portland and Montreal: The Silverbacks already have passionate fans, some of whom have Silverbacks tattoos! I am sure they would much prefer a MLS Silverbacks yet another re-start. The MLS team shouldn't begin by disrespecting their best fans, and the franchise won't cost much.

As for myself, I can tell you that after cheering and drumming nearly every game for the Silverbacks since 1998, I'd definietly think twice before I'd support an Atlanta based team that drover off or ended my team because they were too cheap to buy the brand.

14. Smoke & Mirrors

Jul 18, 2010
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    The clock is already ticking on the Silverbacks. We all knew it since the moment they were resurrected as the 8th team in the new NASL. Traffic was not going to fund three teams forever. Now, if the SI reports are true, and Atlanta is virtually a lock to get one of the four remaining MLS spots, then we probably don't have much longer to wait. The instant MLS announces Blank's MLS team, the Silverbacks become worthless. No one in their right mind will continue to fund, or come in to buy a D2 team in a market where an MLS team plays. Don't try and say "What about the Cosmos in NY" either. NY is not subject to all the same rules as other markets. It's an animal all its own.

I'm sure Davidson and Peterson have the egos to try and "challenge" a Blank MLS team in Atlanta, but it would be pathetic at best. Sad to say, but the Silverbacks will likely die shortly after MLS is announced in Atlanta, because I don't see Blank being interested in buying the brand.

15. GoDawgsGo

GoDawgsGo Member+

Nov 11, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not sure how spending millions of his own money to start an MLS team out of the sheer love for sport could be considered driving off or ending your team. He is a business man. He's not going to just buy the Silverbacks to make you and the 200-300 passionate fans appeased. I'm sure there may be some pros to buying them out, but I'm guessing the cons far outweigh those and it's a bit of a fantasy to imagine Blank buying the S'backs.

I'd like to see it happen as well, but don't get your panties in a wad if it doesn't.

USvsIRELAND and kenntomasch repped this.
  16. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That would certainly be your right as a consumer.

I fear you'd just be doing it out of spite, though, and actually hurting no one but yourself.

I mean, do you like soccer or not?

DavidP and USvsIRELAND repped this.
  17. cflsteve

cflsteve Member

Jul 21, 2013
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Thats why I think that the best chance for the Silverbacks to survive would be for a owner group interested in an NASL team in their city buy the whole organization as is and move them.
    As for Blank his Brand will be one that will be attached to the Falcons and the specialty built retractable roof stadium that will be able to accomodate a larger NFL capacity and a lower bowl MLS capacity similar to what they came up with at BC Place. Snynergy with a rich NFL owner in a stadium that will be configured for both not like the afterthought attemps in Foxboro stadium in New England.

18. GoDawgsGo

GoDawgsGo Member+

Nov 11, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My biggest problem with MLS in the new GA Dome (whatever it ends up being called) is that it will likely (anyone seen plans??) be an artificial surface, which is AWFUL for soccer.

Being a retractable roof I really hope they realize that they can just leave the roof open for some sun and use real grass.

I concur. Be willing to bet he is one of the first in line for season tickets.

19. Foxinc

Foxinc Member

May 17, 2010
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
  20. Bisquick_in_da_MGM

Jul 26, 2013
    Club:
    Atlanta
    People just don't want Atl to get a team.

21. TerminusFooty

TerminusFooty Member+

Feb 4, 2012
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And yet we ARE getting one. Gotta love it! :)

GoDawgsGo repped this.
  22. drummer

drummer Member

Nov 29, 1999
    Atlanta
    My honeymoon was the 2001 USA - Mexico qualifier at Crew Stadium. I drummed with the supporters. I have drummed for a second division side and remained positive every game, winning or losing, rain or shine, since 1996, in part to promote the sport in the ATL. I think that qualifies me as a fan.

But even though I am a fan, and pleased to see the sport grow in Atlanta, you can't expect me to be excited about an Atlanta MLS team ending a team that has become family to me. I am a loyal die-hard fan, not some band-wagon hopping, coat tail riding, groupie. Would you expect a life-long fan of AFC Wimbledon to happily and eagerly watch AFC Wimbledon be run out of existence to make way for a better financed club in a higher division? Would you question whether that Wimbledon fan was a fan of futbol?

I would be excited to see the MLS side be named Silverbacks. It would say to Atlanta fans that the MLS team values tradition, perseverance, and loyalty, over the latest fad or some short-term gain.

So my question remains, if the price was right, why not name the MLS side Silverbacks? Is there any reason why not? Why belittle and discount even 200 or 300 likely season ticket holders just to create an all-new brand that no one except the guy creating it and his mother will be excited about?

RalphsMom and ATLfirefan repped this.
  23. Smoke & Mirrors

Jul 18, 2010
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I respect the hell out of your passion and loyalty sir. I too would never support an MLS team coming to my area that killed off my Strikers. But there are two things you have to keep in mind. One is ego. It's not often people of Blank's financial standing come without one. So, unless he were to have some previous connection and affinity for the existing brand, I'd say the chances of him bothering to acquire it are low, and him creating his own are much higher. Plus, don't take this personally, but how much brand power does the Silverbacks name actually have? I don't say it with any like or humor, just impartiality, but I don't think anyone could make a real solid case for the Silverbacks brand to significantly enhance the value or marketability of an MLS team.

The only possible thing I could see there being interest for would be possibly purchasing the team and the stadium and moving them to D3 to be the ATL MLS team's reserve squad. If it was at the right price it could make sense.

30King repped this.
  24. Jossed

Jossed Member+

Apr 23, 2011
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    #24 Jossed, Sep 17, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2013
    While I am no expert on Atlanta soccer fans, is it because there are a lot who don't like the Silverbacks name? It has always been a sore spot with the team. The Atlanta fans I see on BS seem to be suggesting everything but the Silverbacks to name the MLS team.

The NASL team itself was seriously considering rebranding itself just last year. What would those people with the Silverback tattoos have done then?

A name is very imporant when launching and I think the fans can come up with something that speaks to the area and what the team will stand for. No offense, but the Silverbacks brand doesn't do that and might even confuse new fans. The MLS team will have to reach the many fans who have been ignoring the Silverbacks. It is not correct or accurate to say that an all new brand would only appeal to Arthur Blank and his mother. The fans prove you wrong. People are generally excited to pick a name for the franchise.

25. RutgerATL

RutgerATL Member

Nov 10, 2009
    Decatur, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What is in the name? For those that grew up here or have lived here for 15 or more years the Silverback name does mean something. Willie B. Everyone in that category knows who he was, the old silverback gorilla at the zoo. There is a life size bronze statue of him at the zoo. Payed for in part by the team.

Should Blank buy the name? I don't know. While I have been a very long time follower, almost as long as Drummer, I realize the team front office through the years has done a great job of driving away casual fans. Up until this year they have always seemed to screw up and alienate fans. I keep going because I enjoy the game and more importantly to me, I enjoy hanging out with my friends. I count Drummer as one of those friends.

So we get an MLS team. Be they the Silverbacks or the Ocelots, or the Flaming Death Kickers. Say the latter,FDK FC. The Backs can't compete at the NASL level with the MLS in town and fold like a cheap lawnchair, or drop down to NPSL. What do I do? I doubt I get season tickets to FlamingDeathKickers FC. I MIGHT be able to afford them. Most cheap seats for MLS go for $35. I figure supporter seats will have a deal around $25 . That works out to $500 per season. That is three times what a payed this year, but the season is longer, so make it about double. Then I shell out $10-$20 for game day parking (it was free this year for season tix). Next, I like to have a couple of beverages during the game. Again the price goes up.

The real rub is I don't think most of my friends that I currently hang out with will buy tickets at this price. We talked about it at this last weeks tailgate. Most would go to a couple of games a season. We would still go to NPSL games though because it is in our budget. Sure we wouldn't see "the best level of soccer". So what, it would still be fun.