Future of RSL Academy Territory

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by Todorojo, Apr 26, 2017.

1. Callgolf

Callgolf Member

Jan 7, 2012
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Grant Wahl is a numptie douchbag who thinks that soccer begins and ends with the coasts in the US. I'm sorry, RSL's academy has raised more talent than the major coast teams combined.

2. El-ahrairah

El-ahrairah Member+

Sep 20, 2004
    Wanker County
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    SI? A magazine that's only good for pictures of models in bikinis one week out of the year and lining birdcages the other 51 weeks.

3. El-ahrairah

El-ahrairah Member+

Sep 20, 2004
    Wanker County
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's because football, basketball and baseball don't really have development academies so he can't understand concept.

4. Todorojo

Todorojo Member

Oct 27, 2008
    South Weber, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    I'd still argue that we've constantly had 3 DPs for a while now, and our salaries paid is in the top half of the league currently. The only other thing I can think of is if we have a smaller front office and back office staff. Or maybe the unwillingness to pay to keep Kries and Lagerway.

We were one of the earlier teams to build our own stadium as well. His rankings are off, especially considering what this team does while being in one of the 2 smallest markets in the league.

The one thing people cannot fault Hansen for is spending money. He does a lot of that... just not always in the way everyone wants.

5. Allez RSL

Allez RSL Member+

Jun 20, 2007
    Home
    I read The Beckham Experiment and watched his weird videos trying to get nominated to run for president of FIFA.

I don't need any more Grant Wahl.

rslfanboy repped this.
  6. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I got a big kick out of the hand-wringing the year the Swimsuit Edition contained an article on BYU Basketball.

rslfanboy repped this.
  7. El-ahrairah

El-ahrairah Member+

Sep 20, 2004
    Wanker County
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What, they actually report on sports in that edition? I thought it was all babes and bikinis, ads about babes and bikinis and how the aforementioned babes in bikinis are just regular, down-to-earth, take-home-to-meet-mom, hometown girls and how a life of a jet-setting billionaire bikini supermodel hasn't turned them into anything else.

8. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's the Sports Illustrated article from 1995 - Stormin' Mormons.

And here's a Deseret News article about the conundrum - To Reid or not to Read

I have been reading SI for almost as long as I have been alive, and it surprises me that this was 22 years ago. Yikes. Seemed more recent.

9. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    which is odd, since he is from KC (which probably explains some other things I don't like about him).

10. El-ahrairah

El-ahrairah Member+

Sep 20, 2004
    Wanker County
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From time to time over the years, I have had a subscription to SI. Back in the day, it was interesting, but not any more. I dropped it because I realized that I never read any of the articles. I would get the magazine, flip thru it to see if there was anything I found interesting (which I usually didn't) and then throw it away.

11. DrownedElf

DrownedElf Member+

Jul 5, 2010
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was never big into magazines, and even less so now. By the time they're distributed, it's already old news. I find it far easier to bounce around the sites I enjoy to get the info as it's happening. That's not to say that print media is dead, I just think they're going to have to shift how they do things to make it work.

12. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I read the first few pages (short stories on stuff of interest to me) and then the weekly feature in the back, which is typically long-form sports journalism at its finest. The middle section about current American sports I almost never read, though I am pleasantly surprised at times, and I pay about 75 cents an issue, so it's well worth it to me.

13. GoRSL

GoRSL Member+

Jan 7, 2013
    47.615587, -122.200340
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Back on topic...

Hopefully AZ isn't that big a loss if it happens, as Barca is laying claim...

http://www.rslsoapbox.com/2017/6/7/...ers-grande-sports-arizona-residential-academy

14. El-ahrairah

El-ahrairah Member+

Sep 20, 2004
    Wanker County
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  15. El-ahrairah

El-ahrairah Member+

Sep 20, 2004
    Wanker County
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Speaking of the RSL academy (What? El-ahrairah posting something on topic), whilst I was driving to (and from) Provo today, I saw billboards announcing that the RSL Academy was accepting applications for the 2017-2018 school year.

http://rslacademy.org/

Makes me wish just for a moment (a very short moment) that I was still in high school.

16. UPinSLC

UPinSLC Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    SL,UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Very interesting setup, I wonder how they are choosing enrollment as STEM (charter) school that is "free". Will students have to have a certain ability level as a soccer player AND qualify academically? What will the total student population be?

17. Taragui

Taragui Member+

Aug 13, 2006
    Northern Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Easy! STEM-Shooting, trapping, engineering, and math.

I did see a pre-game spot on the academy where they mentioned blending soccer prospects with locals that would only be involved in the academics portion. Wonder if that was part of the deal with the city of Draper.

18. elkaholic

elkaholic Member+

May 28, 2009
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The school doesn't have any soccer requirement. It is just a charter high school. They needed it for the academy team players. They have to fill up the rest of the school with students though. They will have high school boys and girls soccer teams that I'm sure the academy players will not be allowed to play on. My older son got a spot in the school but not 100% sure he'll attend. We've asked several questions about things that haven't been answered yet.

Allez RSL repped this.
  19. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ******** charter schools

RSLer and goobx1 repped this.
  20. DrownedElf

DrownedElf Member+

Jul 5, 2010
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didn't mind the charter school my kids went to. It seemed better than the public options in the area at the time. This last year we had to pull them and put them into public school because I couldn't swing transport both directions each day, and their mother wasn't able to help at all.

Overall, I don't have a preference either way. Schools of either type can be good or bad, and it's best to research and try to put your kids into whatever school will be better.

The Franchise repped this.
  21. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would have preferred the RSL setup go private. Going charter means they pull funds from the... this is going to get rapidly off topic.

I'll leave it at "I wish they would have done a private school instead"

goobx1 repped this.
  22. DrownedElf

DrownedElf Member+

Jul 5, 2010
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That makes sense. I didn't realize that was the angle you were going for. I wonder if it's possible that they eventually go private once the academy is really taking off? Maybe that's what they're going for. Get the ball rolling for now, and as the academy grows, they eventually go private and make it a full on school/academy for just soccer prospects.