Future of a left back?

Discussion in 'Youth & HS Soccer' started by CornfieldSoccer, May 26, 2016.

1. Terrier1966

Terrier1966 Member

Nov 19, 2016
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Take note, I did say “rule of thumb”...I didn’t say it was an actual rule of soccer, law or the universe.

While it isn’t always your choice, giving the player as much experience as possible with the game “on all sides” is helpful. Learning to play with the whole field in front of you isn’t bad, but as substitutions decrease and coaches try to find ways to get midfielders on the field they will ask themselves if they could play fullback.

2. OverseasView

OverseasView Member+

Olympique Lyonnais
    France
    Feb 3, 2013
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Sorry, if I am arriving late in the conversation. Can I share my two pence vision from the old Europe? ;)
    Background: my two sons were in pro academy, one was called in the U18 Swiss National Team. Both chose the opportunity to play NCAA D1, as at the end of high school they wanted to continue their studies (they loved both football and studying). So they were scouted and got scholarship. They were/are first starters in their team and seen as leaders, respected by both their mates and the staff. Their PDL/NPSL seasons were good also: the youngest one is attracting some attention from MLS scouts.

One was playing defensive mid-fielder and the second is central defender. In their early years, before reaching elite leagues, they were well above other kids and were more prone to attack and score goals. However they chose to be at the back: we did not mind, as what is the most important is that they enjoy what they do. And here in Europe, it is not a demotion to be a defender. Coaches obviously know that a football team is made up with 11 players. Numerous coaches build their team from the back. My sons enjoy defending and helping their team to keep its shape.

Personally, I have always told them that the coaches' decisions are always for the good of the team (and as human beings can also make errors) and that they must enjoy just to be on the pitch and to show they feel the trust put in them: be left back, midfielder or…. on the bench. Any minute has allowed them to develop, improve and understand what makes up a good footballer. And earn high respect from all.

In modern football, the wide backs' role is critical and highly tactical: look Guardiola's teams: He recently put over 137 $M in Benjamin Mendy and Kyle Walker: his left and right backs.
    Let's just name: Marcello, Philip Lahm, Lilian Thuram, Hector Bellerin, Jordi Alba, Roberto Carlos, Paolo Maldini, Bixente Lizarazu, Benjamin Mendy, Alonso, Dani Alves etc… Who did/do not love watching them merging defensive and attacking skills on the pitch?

By the way, who did score the FIFA's top goal during this year's world Cup? Benjamin Pavard, French right back.
    Just tell all this to your sons.;) And show them this (4'26 in the video):

CornfieldSoccer and bigredfutbol repped this.
  3. nysoccerdad

nysoccerdad Member

Apr 18, 2016
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    My son played CB since his U8 years, and he enjoyed it, a lot. I enjoyed watching him too. The coaching staff came from a culture where the best player of the team was placed in CB and clocking every minute.
    Fast forward to U11 this year in which the team starts to play 9v9. After 3 years of CB, he is now placed to play central mid, and again clocking every minute of the game unless he himself asks out. I can tell the 3 years of CB experience completely pays off, because the kid simply dominates the middle and takes ball away from the opponents. He probably forced 5 turnovers in yesterday's game.

But more importantly I want to add here, I brought him to futsal training since last winter. The indoor training completely changed the way he approached the game. He is now attacking the space when he has it, and tries to create space when he doesnt. Note that he is not trying to beat his defender by dribble or any moves, he simply moves the ball into space and creates angle.

I think the indoor training is really the key for his successful transition.

From my experience, if you have a DS/DD playing defense early on, put him/her in additional futsal training.

bigredfutbol repped this.
  4. CornfieldSoccer

Aug 22, 2013
    A two-goal game last weekend for my left back -- they weren't exactly Pavard strikes, but they weren't bad.

OverseasView and bigredfutbol repped this.