Future For MLS Multi-Team Cities?

Discussion in 'MLS: Expansion' started by MattyB316, Jan 10, 2015.

1. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry but MSA and CSA distinctions in the Bat Area are nothing but a government made construction that have no bearing on reality. It's all one region.

2. I<3NJ

I<3NJ Member

Jan 12, 2011
    Jersey Shore/Philadelphia
    Club:
    New Jersey
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Economics don't quite work like this all the time. If a singular team market is drawing 20,000 average, adding another team isn't going to result in 10,000 average attendance for each team. Adding a product can induce demand. I would go to a ton of Union games if they played in Center City and I could walk/bike/subway to games. I'm a lot less incentivized to get in my car or regional rail, shell out a bunch of money for gas and parking, and I don't really go. For fans coming from the suburbs, Chester isn't just a comparable trip from a lot of places, but easier if you want to drive. I'm not saying another Philly team would survive, but I would go see a downtown team play, probably frequently.

This is just one of many examples of factors that determine things like attendance. You could absolutely put another MLB team in New York or New Jersey without sacrificing attendances at Yankees or Mets games. Orioles attendance dropped 2,000 in 2005 when the Expos moved to DC (down from a high 34,000 in 2004), when the Nats were pulling 33,000. Not to say that multiple teams in every city is a sustainable model, but some of these arguments don't really work.

3. The One X

The One X Member+

Sep 9, 2014
    Indiana
    Club:
    Indy Eleven
    That is a completely different argument that is kind of irrelevant to TV as TV does not have limited seats.

4. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    The O's were garbage. They went from regularly having one of the highest payrolls in the 90s to not spending when the idea of a team returning to DC was brought up so they could say attendance would suffer even more if another team was down the road.

5. I<3NJ

I<3NJ Member

Jan 12, 2011
    Jersey Shore/Philadelphia
    Club:
    New Jersey
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My point is that you added another team without actually losing attendance.

6. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Different market though. So again, not a two teams in one region model.

7. tallguy

tallguy Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    MoCoLand, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not really. Northern Virginia, D.C., the Maryland suburbs and Baltimore have gown together & inter-tangled basically. Baltimore still has a distinct personality, of course.

JoeTerp repped this.
  8. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    Your perspective is off. While people in Montgomery & PG have a level of comfort with the whole area, to NoVA people, Baltimore is another planet & vise versa. Besides I'm guessing NoVa people can't get Baltimore tv stations and I certainly couldn't get DC stations when I lived in Balt county.

9. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly. Different states, different media market, different actual market. Yes they've grown toward each other but they're still separate markets culturally, socially, sporting-wise.

The Bay Area by comparison has always been the same media market, same state, and same CSA. And the MSA division is largely a made up separation using county lines by the government that has no actual bearing on reality. Folks in San Mateo County, Alameda County and even the two largest cities commute in both directions every morning both up to SF and down to SJ and do the same for sporting and other social events. TV stations are based in all 3 of the major cities, Fox is in Oakland, NBC is in San Jose, ABC and CBS are in San Francisco. Radio stations are spread all over the region with transmitters in the Santa Cruz Mts up to Sutro Tower in SF and several points in between and beyond.

ceezmad repped this.
  10. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are Local news in the bay area the same for SJ, SF and Oakland? or are there 2 or 3 different local news channels?

I also wonder about Minnesota-St. Paul. Or Anaheim and LA.

11. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    See my additions above.

12. tallguy

tallguy Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    MoCoLand, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not true. Lots of guys in the D.C. Maryland burbs are Reavens and Orioles fans. Montgomery County T.V. and cable shows all Ravens and all Orioles games. I have had friends who live in MoCo and are Ravens & O's season ticket holders.

JoeTerp repped this.
  13. TheUltra

TheUltra Member

Mar 23, 2008
    2.4 Miles from home
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If indy gets a team there will be a fantastic I-70 Rivalry with Cbus and Indy.

Really if Indy gets a club there will be nice big ball of midwestern hate going on with Cbus/Indy/Chiraq all easily within driving distance of one another.

tallguy and The One X repped this.
  14. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do they show Orioles and Ravens games in DC. Or Nats and Skins in Baltimore?

Because in the Bay Area all Bay Area teams are viewable from all Bay Area cities. Same goes for LA as ceezmad asked above. As much as Orange County hates to admit it, they're effectively an LA suburb when it comes to media market. They share all the major TV networks which broadcast of out LA proper and LA is the primary economic and social focal point of the region. Though they do have the somewhat bi polar sporting set up thanks to the Angels and Ducks (I won't insult anyone's intelligence by mentioning OC Blues). But you can still see all the OC team games in LA and vice versa.

15. tallguy

tallguy Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    MoCoLand, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, yes to the O's because Angelos controls the MASN cable network that televises Nats and Orioles games. Don't ever watch Ravens games in D.C., but D.C. has bars that caters to fans of many NFL teams. You can watch all D.C. United games on cable in Baltimore and more than a few United fans come down from Charm City to RFK Stadium for games wearing Orioles caps. Doubt if the 'Skins are at all popular in Baltimore except when they lose.

16. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The fact that and answer wasn't just "yes" should probably tell you something...

17. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    You're all wrong.

18. JoeTerp

JoeTerp Member

Jul 9, 2007
    USA
    In MoCo, the Ravens are always on. If there are a bunch of 1 pm afc games, the one we will get is the Ravens game. However, I am pretty sure we don't get Ravens preseason games in MoCo. The Washington Comcast station covers the Ravens and Redskins, although I am pretty sure the Skins always lead.

Os and Nats are treated the same, but there is an asterisk there because of the tv deal is not a market outcome. Even if it was, I think the Os would still have to be on in MoCo, there are still a decent amount of fans who remained loyal after the Nats came, and when they were growing up the Os were the only game in town and they loved Cal Ripken etc.

19. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    The entire DC area gets both teams now. WUSA (CBS Washington, 9) has gone all in on covering the AFC local team so all of the games are on CBS now. The pre-season games are on WJLA (ABC 7) and CSN as Redskins pre-season games are on WRC-TV (NBC Washington, 4) and CSN. It has only been the past few years that WUSA has shown all Ravens games though.

20. tallguy

tallguy Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    MoCoLand, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep.

21. krudmonk

krudmonk Member+

Mar 7, 2007
    S.J. Sonora
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Sacramento itself is not part of the Bay Area CSA, but right now the Quakes and Kings both have games on CSN California. Only NBA-specific blackout rules keep Sac Kings games from being shown down here. A middle ground like Stockton is in Kings TV territory but daily commuters make it more connected to the Bay, as the US census sees it. When SRFC comes in, they actually will be the second team in this Northern California market, meaning SF would be an unprecedented third.

22. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Independent Republic of the Bronx, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    I am wondering if or when the Cosmos will join the MLS. They came with a lot of huff and it seemed like they were gonna be NY2 but the Sheiks beat them to it. The NHL gave the NYC area 3 teams and it somewhat survived.

RBNY draws from North Jerz, Staten and Manhattan. I am a Bronx guy but long time fan so I am part of the few. NYCFC draws from the Bronx, Manhattan, and Westchester with small pull from Bk and Queens that are near Manhattan. Cosmos draw from Queens and Brooklyn areas that border Long Island and Long Island so with the Greater NYC area around 11-12 mill they can do it. Just not sure if being an original NASL side and so iconic with the league, the league don't want to lose them.

23. VBCity72

VBCity72 Member+

Aug 17, 2014
    Sunny San Diego
    Club:
    Plymouth Argyle FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The only way there will be any more two team cities is through pro/rel. After LAFC I can't see any more places that could do it other then Chicago. If the Fire were better then I could see the justification for a second Chi team but right now it's a stretch. San Francisco or Baltimore getting a team is not the same as San Jose or DC getting a second team. I do see having a team in both Minneapolis and St Paul, Tampa and St Pete, Dallas and Ft Worth as the same area.

24. joeyBocook

joeyBocook New Member

Aug 13, 2015
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I think NYCFC/RedBulls can survive. But if Chivas already lost it can we really expect LAFC to flourish with the Galaxy as their competition for TV and fans?

Honestly, I think the MLS might be overstepping in their rising popularity. Popularity is going up but putting two teams in one city is something that should wait. Someone early mentioned the possibility of a Columbus/Cleveland, even that might be a reach. The Crew has a great and loyal fan base but still hardly a fraction of a blip when it comes to local support of Ohio State and some days even the NHL's Blue Jackets. I say ride the popularity for a while and see where we are in 7-10 years.

All that to say, I think Cincinnati will be a more likely expansion with the inception of FC Cincinnati and the money behind it.

25. Don Boppero 3000

Don Boppero 3000 DNALMQNLGLLMX!

Jan 15, 2001
    The Fullerton Hotel Chicago
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico

Forget the burbs something in the city of chicago would be nice. Aint nobody trying to see some futbol in Bridgeview depressing ass corn byproduct smelling old never was suburb.

Got be some land on the north side that can work. Some Old jewels washed up Marshalls or something.

harrylee773 repped this.