Future Aztex Stadium?

Discussion in 'Austin Aztex' started by AustinFC, Mar 12, 2009.

1. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No shit. That's beautiful. Damn, wouldn't that look sweet in the Highland Mall area?

2. Alejo

Alejo Member

Jul 17, 2008
    Austin, Texas, Yall
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not if we all stick togethor, they can't nick us all "COR UNUM." ;)

But seriously, beside a full oval version of the Ft. Lauderdale Cricket Ground, these two have to be my favorite designs yet, and I could soo see house park getting a third stand like that one in the Czech Republic.

"Nastrave"

Question: Just how much wider would the pitch at house have to be made in order for it to be up to you guys's standards?

3. Barbaro

Barbaro Member

Roma
    United States
    May 3, 2004
    Austin, TX
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Sure is. It's also really far north, over 100 years old, and sometimes used for rock concerts (Elton John, Rod Stewart").
    And for the turf/grass discussion, here's an interesting pair of webpages about the turf installation in 2004, and the needed replacement in 2009.

4. Scooter Pete

Scooter Pete Member

Apr 3, 2008
    Austin
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. Native Aztexan

Jan 27, 2002
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess that better than sucking back into the Daily Texan.

7. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    KC Stadium renderings are out. The important part are the last four pictures.

Not in any way suggesting that we want the acres of parking they're going to put around theirs. Just suggesting that the area right next to their stadium is a pretty good idea of what would be really nice at the mall site.

8. Wachhz

Wachhz New Member

Apr 15, 2009
    Denton
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That is an incredible design. It's similar to the open air mall design of the Round Rock Outlet mall. I think that chunk of retail space layout near the stadium would be ideal for Highland. As VC said, omit the acres of parking lot and other facilities. I would imagine an Austin committee would rather have more retail/residential mixed use.

Basically, I think we need a Triangle v2.0. This new development would of course include the soccer stadium, and the thing that everyone always forgets... a GROCERY store! Mixed use urban developments tend to fail because designers/developers never include a grocery store that is easily walkable from the living space.

9. AustinFC

AustinFC New Member

Sep 20, 2008
    Austin
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    This type of developement is the bees knees. It really opened up my eyes as to what Highland could (should) be like. Mixed-use development is the way to go (including a HEB or Wholefoods). God please bring Triangle v2.0 to Austin.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    BTW, that building on the bottom right of the picture is a pub.

11. Scooter Pete

Scooter Pete Member

Apr 3, 2008
    Austin
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Considering the size of the property, a grocery store should be a requirement. I know of a couple neighborhood leaders that are very much in favor of a grocery store.

Yeah, Triangle v2.0 is what I'd like to see as well. It really amazes me how much space all that parking takes up. You could fit a stadium plus THREE Triangles in the acreage that's there.

13. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah. There's going to be office buildings and a few youth fields outside the range of those renderings. For those that don't know, Highland is 'only' 70-80 acres.

14. Chowda

Chowda Member

Sep 13, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    I get a kick out of the way they nearly always put a featured pub in stadium renders. That got soooo many people excited about Bridgeview. :)

15. AustinFC

AustinFC New Member

Sep 20, 2008
    Austin
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I really don't know what to say about this one.
    Maximum Security Prison or Modern Work of Art?

Stade de la Licorne: capacity 11, 875. (france)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. kingqueso

kingqueso Member

Jul 8, 2008
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That is hideous! WTF France? France, we love the food, women, and wine, but your sense of fashion and style is very questionable sometimes.

I'll pass on this one AustinFC.

17. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I vote 'maximum security prison.' Though I guess if you think 'Thunderdome', then it might be a good selling point.

...nah.

Looks like we're leaning 'Scandinavian' with our stadium ideas so far:)

18. Wachhz

Wachhz New Member

Apr 15, 2009
    Denton
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well considering most of the popular movies/music in this part of France are ours from over 20 years ago, maybe they were going for Thunderdome! :p

Seriously, France isn't a third world nation, but you wouldn't know it from their stereotypical love of far outdated pop culture (ie, Michael Jackson is still great in France... I guess they didn't see the multiple court trials).

19. Roma_Wolves

Roma_Wolves New Member

May 4, 2004
    Austin, Texas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would definitely like to see a grocery store as part of the development. I hate the HEB at Koenig and Burnet. Triangle with a grocery and stadium. Perfect! We could call it the Trapezoid.

20. Alejo

Alejo Member

Jul 17, 2008
    Austin, Texas, Yall
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As an inside Supporters nickname, not a bad idea. :D

I personally think "Tenochititlan" , with the stadium being "Temple Plaza", would be pretty sweet but thats me.

21. JC Tottenham Hotspur

Apr 12, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Have you seen the interview with Phil Rawlins on the Aztex site where he talks about future stadium plans. It sounds like our stadium is going to be a long time in coming.

http://www.austinaztex.com/home/

22. AustinFC

AustinFC New Member

Sep 20, 2008
    Austin
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Yeah, I just read it. Bummer. I got the same thing out of it, it will be a very long time away. I actually wouldn't be suprised if it takes 10+ years.

23. Alejo

Alejo Member

Jul 17, 2008
    Austin, Texas, Yall
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Will you take 4/5 years at 5-1? ;)

24. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Glad he posted that.

10 years is a believable length of time.

The Triangle took nearly that long from initial strip mall idea to what we have now... and it's still not entirely built out. There's a plan for a condo on the site as well.

And, considering how long it took MetroStars/Red Bull to get their stadium, and how long it's taken DC United, it's important for us to keep in mind that it's a VERY LONG PROCESS, and is sure to have a few heartbreaks along the way (for those that aren't familiar with it, check on the history of getting stadiums in Columbus and Salt Lake City).

There's all sorts of fun news right now, and some of us are having a lot of fun playing with ideas. And there are little steps forward with tantalizing hints, but the real world moves slowly.

If we ended up with a stadium anywhere in town in five years, it will have been done stunningly quickly. Hell, getting a stadium in town at all, in any time frame, would be stunning.

Remember, other than UT and rec sports, no stadium has been built in Austin since the 50's.

It's hard not to get excited about possibilities. I'm as guilty as anyone.

But we'll be playing at Nelson and/or House for at least as long as the contract they currently have.

One worry I have is that the injury costs on players will force the team to chose somewhere a little more forgiving (Dragon).

The other worry that I have is that the AISD will get fickle again and not let the Aztex play in town anymore. But with the good work Phil has done with UT, I'm confident that he'll keep a good relationship with AISD, so this is a smaller worry.

...and, I guess, now that I think about it, another worry is that us soccer fans will get impatient and grumpy about the struggles our team is having and stop showing up to games. This may be an even bigger barrier to getting a stadium. If the Aztex aren't drawing a consistent 4-5k per game, there's very good arguments against building a stadium for them. I wouldn't be able to argue it politically, and wouldn't try.

25. Alejo

Alejo Member

Jul 17, 2008
    Austin, Texas, Yall
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I will tell ya right now if we draw the same numbers, or better, at house the noise that will be generated, literally and figuratively considering the design and location of the stadium, will be too great to be ignored by a significant portion of the downtown population, meaning 24th to 6th