Future Aztex Stadium?

Discussion in 'Austin Aztex' started by AustinFC, Mar 12, 2009.

1. AustinFC

AustinFC New Member

Sep 20, 2008
    Austin
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    If you build it, they will come.

2. AustinFC

AustinFC New Member

Sep 20, 2008
    Austin
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Dream, Dream, Dream...
    [​IMG]

3. Alejo

Alejo Member

Jul 17, 2008
    Austin, Texas, Yall
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well Phil all ready has the dream, and a potential location at Highland mall maybe, all he needs now is the $ and the approvel and we all know how tedious that can be, just ask the Timbers folks. Lets not, of course, forget TTET are going to stall the dream from becoming a reality as well. But hell yes Austin FC we can Dream Dream Dream..... :D

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKn6h2x5IcY"]YouTube - Everly Brothers - All I have to do is dream + Cathy's Clown[/ame]

4. explosionsinthesky

explosionsinthesky New Member

Jan 16, 2009
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Highland mall? eww. I read that Phil wanted more of a central downtown location as atmosphere tends to be very important. Highland Mall is pretty much in the same location as Nelson.

cool shit though. I dream about this all the time. It's the only thing that Austin is missing.
    What stadium did you use for this rendition?
    [​IMG]

5. mattmanp

mattmanp Member

Jul 2, 2007
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does anyone who's not a millionaire live downtown any more? All those damn 500k+ lofts.

6. AustinFC

AustinFC New Member

Sep 20, 2008
    Austin
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    The answer to you question is "no". only fat-cats can live in those. & I heard that the vacancies for the highrise lofts were pretty high. I have no idea why they were built. Although they are very nice buildings, what they represent is everything i'm against. The cost of living in Austin is becoming ridiculous thanks to shit like that.

The stadium used for this is Ullevaal Stadion in Oslo Norway. (cap. 25,000)

7. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fun image.

There's a parking lot right about there. But I doubt it's big enough to put a stadium in;)

I do think Phil's definition of downtown is different from yours. It's a definition of 'not the suburbs'. That is, not Round Rock. I'm glad to see that he's hoping for that.

There might be some spots east of I-35 that could be considered 'not-suburbs', but I still think the Highland Mall location is the best possible one. Being as Dillard's is also closing now, that mall is well on its way to being an empty crime magnet.

Yeah, it's not 'downtown' and is nearly the same place as Nelson, but it has one more thing going for it that Nelson doesn't -- right on the commuter rail line.

Any stadium is still a dream, but it's fun dreaming.

And the view from Highland mall, if you set the sight lines right, could still be pretty sweet.

8. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    More accurately, does anyone know anyone at all that lives downtown? Apparently people do, because I see a heck of a lot of them when I drive through there on my way home from work on days when Mopac is too backed up to go that way.

But I've been here too long. Everyone I know lives in houses.

9. explosionsinthesky

explosionsinthesky New Member

Jan 16, 2009
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I say just build the damn thing at House park. Of course, it's all in the hands of AISD. It would cost tons of money and need lots of negotiating. That's another dream, so to speak. But if Highland was the spot, i would still be grateful. (would prefer somewhere on the east side to highland though).
    [​IMG]

10. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've wasted a ridiculous amount of mental energy trying to upgrade House. Some seating on the ends would make the capacity nice. But the east stands would have to be moved back to make the pitch wide enough. With the basketball building behind it, that would be entertaining as hell. Plus, there is literally NO decent access.

Highland mall, with all the highways around it and the rail line is light years better. Yeah, it's not RIGHT DOWN TOWN. But, seriously, unless you're going to try and do a Vancouver original plan and build over the river, I have a hard time believing there's any open land that anyone but Michael Dell can afford.

11. mgrayscale

mgrayscale Member

Mar 10, 2008
    Buda, TX
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Two other big issues with the House Park area is that there is insufficient parking for the crowds that we'd want to draw, and frankly, if you're going to build a stadium to house a program that has 3 or 4 teams (USL1, PDL, Women's, and Youth Academy), you really need a primary stadium plus a couple of practice fields. I think that's why House would not be realistic and Highland seems logical.

12. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you're wanting a couple practice fields along with a stadium, neither place will work. ...well, Highland would work, if you use the entire mall footprint. But I'd expect that any mall redevelopment would be mixed-use, like an expanded Triangle. I'm pretty certain that there wouldn't be room for practice fields. But maybe they could work out a deal with that private school just north of the mall. They have a very nice field crammed between the SBC building and another office building.

I guess I've always been imagining that a Highland Mall stadium would require a suburban practice facility.

13. Roma_Wolves

Roma_Wolves New Member

May 4, 2004
    Austin, Texas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually, while I know what you mean, Highland Mall is vastly different from Nelson Field. Primarily, there are more restaurants and businesses around it. Also, perhaps more importantly. It is a major bus transfer hub, and will be a stop on the commuter rail line from Cedar Park or Leander or where ever the hell it goes to East Austin and the downtown convention center.

14. tsaldana3

tsaldana3 Member

Apr 26, 2008
    TX
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    and it's 5 minutes from where I live. which is the crestview area.

:D

15. Barbaro

Barbaro Member

Roma
    United States
    May 3, 2004
    Austin, TX
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Exactly. I'm pretty sure you could get three fields in there -- one in each wing of the "T" -- if you tear out the stores back to the outside walls, leaving just enough of the second floor to be the framework for the really steep tiered seating. I guarantee, it'd be the eighth wonder of the post-modern soccer world.

16. Alejo

Alejo Member

Jul 17, 2008
    Austin, Texas, Yall
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    uuuh, just out of curiosity Nick could you enlighten those of us, who have only been following the game seriously since 06, as to what the "seven wonders of the post-modern soccer/football world are? :eek:

17. soccerjohn4

soccerjohn4 New Member

Nov 10, 2008
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Louis II Monte Carlo, Aztexa, Maracana, San Siro, Nou Camp, New Wembley, International Stadium Japan Yokahama, probably the top stadiums in the world.

18. soccerjohn4

soccerjohn4 New Member

Nov 10, 2008
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Also I dont think the Practice fields have to be anywhere near the Stadum, the practice fields do not have to be like FC Dallas, Frisco, they could be a whole new complex somewhere off 130 or the new expansion on Mopac.

19. bmantx

bmantx Member

Jun 11, 2008
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is there any real talk of Aztex at Highland Mall or just something being tossed around in this thread? That property is going to be very pricey. They have great light rail potential and the areas to the west are already turning upscale.

20. Madmartigen

Madmartigen Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Elgin, TX
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it is mostly wishful thinking by some of the members of this forum, but the owner has expressed his interest in staying "downtown" instead of moving to a 'burb... And what piece of real estate could use re-development more than the Highland Mall?

21. kingqueso

kingqueso Member

Jul 8, 2008
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Quick thought. Can we call the stadium Aztecca North?

He he he

22. Alejo

Alejo Member

Jul 17, 2008
    Austin, Texas, Yall
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Dude!! thats creeepy cus I've been thinking that same damn thought for awhile now. In my dreams it would be one of these.

Azteca Norte
    Tenochititlan
    RAW(Red and White) Plaza

23. mgrayscale

mgrayscale Member

Mar 10, 2008
    Buda, TX
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would agree that it's scary, but for the reason that both of you think calling it Azteca Norte is a good idea. I'll rack it up to the day after St. Patrick's Day, as you're probably still tanked. :) Naming it after the Mexican National Stadium is muy mal in this hombre's opinion. Of course, I'm also the one who wears a skirt to matches, so what the hell do I know?

24. Alejo

Alejo Member

Jul 17, 2008
    Austin, Texas, Yall
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A lot more than you give yourself credit for mi compadre :D.

And yeah I can dig what your hinting at, and as for wearing a "kilt" to matches. If I had one I'd wear it any day over my cheap, boyscout belted, loincloth. :p

25. kingqueso

kingqueso Member

Jul 8, 2008
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was hoping it would come off as a dig at Mexico football. Along the lines of we beat you at your own game, and we'll just steal your precious stadium name while we're at it. All in good taste of course.;)