futsal courts are key for soccer growth.

Discussion in 'Soccer in the USA' started by soccernatzi, Apr 7, 2019.

1. soccernatzi

soccernatzi New Member

River Plate
    Jan 29, 2019
    the day when futsal courts are as ubiquitous as basketball courts, is the day when the United States..may have a shot at becoming a soccer power. It's absolutely necessary for the continued growth of soccer and the development of technical/skillful players.

NewDadaCoach repped this.
  2. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We never had futsal courts in England. We used our coats, bags and jerseys as goalposts.

3. CoachP365

CoachP365 Member+

Money Grab FC
    Apr 26, 2012
    Actually, we have thousands of courts - basketball and tennis - sitting lightly used.

What would be key would be for the local SelectEliteGoldalona United Youth Soccer Club to send their coaches out into those communities, maybe every other week, for a year or so, and show the kids how to play variations where hitting the post is a goal, or putting down 4 crushed cans, etc. The game being the best teacher and all that :)

But I realize, there's no money there. Sure everyone can float a scholarship for 1 baller from a disadvantaged background, but when 18 kids show up that are all better than Dylan and Cooper it's hard to sell the parents with cash to play on the B team and support an A team.

RalleeMonkey, CeltTexan and soccernatzi repped this.
  4. soccernatzi

soccernatzi New Member

River Plate
    Jan 29, 2019
    #4 soccernatzi, Apr 7, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2019
    In the United States ONLY fancy infrastructure and equipment MIGHT get people to TRY futsal and even then likely to fail to catch on. Doesn't help trying to grow a "NEW" sport in this tech age...where kids and adults are locked in and spend their free time bullshitting on social media,video games,etc.. Furthermore the sad fact is that there is no tradition of soccer here.(at least 100 years behind) Thanks to America's belief in exceptionalism and isolationism. 19th century Americans wouldn't dare be fond/love a sport created by England..the former oppressor/ruler. That's why baseball and american football were created, then later on basketball. Unfortunately all that infrastructure is in place and un-likey to be converted into soccer fields or futsal courts. Unless residents demand it of their recreation depts and their local government with petitions,etc..

5. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    None of which is true. The first professional league in the US was started by baseball owners. The ASL in the 1920s was very popular but killed itself through infighting over Open Cup participation. NASL was given every chance to succeed but failed because of the way it was led, not because of any "exceptionalism".

6. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    soccernatzi repped this.
  7. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Local indoor soccer facility here in Northern VA--where there are multiple travel clubs--set up a designated futsal court when new ownership bought it and renovated the whole place.

It never got used. They ended up having to re-configure it as a second, smaller indoor soccer court. I'd hoped that local coaches would use it for training and development, but it never caught on.

Chesco United and soccernatzi repped this.
  8. soccernatzi

soccernatzi New Member

River Plate
    Jan 29, 2019
    soccer folks(players,parents,coaches,etc..)in the United States should aggressively urge their local government to retrofit existing playgrounds into multi-sport courts,with special emphasis on building futsal courts...will grow the game massively.

RalleeMonkey repped this.
  9. kinznk

kinznk Member

Feb 11, 2007
    I would like the local governments to retrofit existing soccer fields into a large circles with a bowling patch in the middle so kids can play cricket. That will grow the game massively here. I'm tired of the US lagging behind other cricket playing countries. Plus no pay to play cricket clubs either, that will also grow the game here. Is there a bigcricket.com website?

bigredfutbol and kenntomasch repped this.
  10. soccernatzi

soccernatzi New Member

River Plate
    Jan 29, 2019
    comment from the peanut gallery...very dumb

11. kinznk

kinznk Member

Feb 11, 2007
    Build any field you want but you need people to use them to get benefit out from them. Would making more courts correspond with more people playing? Or would be the same group of dudes of various ages that play at the park at 9 o'clock at night? We have lots of baseball field but pickup baseball is almost nonexistent.

12. soccernatzi

soccernatzi New Member

River Plate
    Jan 29, 2019
    I have no doubt..that if there are Latinos, Africans...they will be used..for another group of people..who knows...but since the demographics indicate a huge number of Hispanics growing...well answers your question.

13. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    jaykoz3 repped this.
  14. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There are probably a dozen full-size soccer fields/pitches within 5 miles of where I live and I've never seen one being used for anything other than an organized game. How do you make impromptu kick-abouts part of the culture?

bigredfutbol repped this.
  15. An Unpaved Road

An Unpaved Road Member+

Mar 22, 2006
    Club:
    --other--
    Same for me as well. Pickup golf is more likely to happen on the multiple soccer fields near my house than pickup soccer. Which goes to show you don't need a specialized playing surface to get out there and play.

bigredfutbol and Paul Berry repped this.
  16. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And that's the thing--the fields don't create the demand, no matter what the OP insists. See my example above--a local business gave the local youth scene a regulation futsal court, available for a very low cost. They got no takers.

Meanwhile, I see pickup cricket games being played every weekend on open spaces here in Northern VA. Not on designated cricket fields, sometimes not even on grass--there used to be a regular Sunday game on the parking lot of one of our local high schools, for example--but wherever local enthusiasts (south Asians, mostly) could find some open space they could use for a few hours.

song219, blacksun and kinznk repped this.
  17. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's a lot of pickup soccer played in my part of Northern Virginia--we have an enormous immigrant population. My son grew up playing pickup with local kids he met through school soccer, and then made friends in the pickup soccer scene here. To a large degree, those players have to work around the public park system because of permit issues, etc. There are three really nice Bermuda grass fields withing walking distance, and my son and his crowd used to get chased out by park rangers all the time. There is a local middle school with a turf field which tolerates pick up soccer when the school isn't using it, and that became their main outdoor venue.

What's notable is that while my son played club all the way from first grade through HS graduation, by and large he never played pickup or street soccer with his club teammates.

18. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Futsal isn’t soccer. Like ping pong isn’t tennis.

19. Elninho

Elninho Member+

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Oct 30, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If there is popular demand for futsal courts, they will be built. If there is no popular demand, and someone builds them, they will not be used. It's that simple.

20. soccernatzi

soccernatzi New Member

River Plate
    Jan 29, 2019
    fine, they should be built where they will appreciated...that being where there are Latinos, Africans and anyone else that loves soccer in any way,shape or form. As far as i'm concerned..futsal is soccer.

21. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Futsal is outdoor soccer without all the excitement.

Futsal is baseball if all you could ever hit in baseball were singles.

An Unpaved Road repped this.
  22. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    If the fields are in good condition then there is probably someone who has the right to use them and shooo's people off if they try to get a pickup game going. That's what happens here in the Newport Beach/Costa Mesa area. You get a 3 on 3 going and a "park ranger" shows up to shut it down.

Not only that, the OP is about *futsal.* 6 kids getting together to play 3v3 is very different from getting 22 together to play full fields.

23. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    Totally agree with your post. When Gulati stepped down, and there was some general request for ideas on "how to grow the sport", that was my response.

Imo, in these days, any time a public park is built w/ a basketball court, there should also be a futsal court. The Fed should be pushing this. They should be funding futsal courts in he construction of new public parks as a proof of concept. See what gets used, the basketball court or the futsal court.

And, MLS teams should be required to build/pay for a certain number of public courts within a 50 mile radius of their home stadium.

CeltTexan and soccernatzi repped this.
  24. An Unpaved Road

An Unpaved Road Member+

Mar 22, 2006
    Club:
    --other--
    If the demand was there it would probably happen. See skate parks, which are a lot more ubiquitous now than in the 90s. What's needed first is a glut of soccer kids clogging up spaces for other sports. Fenced-in basketball courts are soccer ready as is, for instance.

soccernatzi and bigredfutbol repped this.
  25. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    I've been kicked off basketball courts for playing soccer, when there was no one wanting to play hoops, and there wasn't going to be.

And, at least in So Cal, the skate industry was super pro-active getting skate parks built, as in they designed and paid for them. The skate park example is actually a great example of why the Fed should be investing in an initial push for futsal courts in public parks.

soccernatzi repped this.