Futebol dos Gringos: Football unrelated to NT and Brasileirão [R]

Discussion in 'Brazil' started by Mengão86, Mar 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kaka10725

Kaka10725 Member+

Jun 1, 2007
    How are they overrated?

2. ripalino

ripalino Member

Feb 26, 2013
    Sao Paulo
    Club:
    Fluminense Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil

Of course they are.....They won in 1990.....After that they go in every tourney as favorites but never win.....Its 24 years man......

3. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Well... thank goodness Brazil never went through that! /sarcasm

They're favorites and they consistently do what favorites should do, reach the top four. Over the last three World Cups (in reverse order) they finished 3rd, 3rd and 2nd. That's better than anyone else over that time. In the mid-90s they were merely in the top 8 twice, which is the same that Brazil has done over the last two Cups since winning. And we're also favorites.

They're only overrated if you think more than 1 team can win. There are always multiple favorites and they are the one team that always gets as far (in the last 12 years) as one of many favorites should (top 4).

celito repped this.
  4. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Germany is definitely not overrated. That's insane. Had it not been for a brilliant Spanish generation, they might have bagged a WC and an Euro.

5. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
  6. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    I think they're properly rated. Very good, but not quite good enough; some of Low's choices were never very sensible to me; playing Podolski for so long was.........odd.

MatthausSammer and benni... repped this.
  7. Emperor Adriano

Emperor Adriano Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Utica NY (the refugee city)
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
  8. Emperor Adriano

Emperor Adriano Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Utica NY (the refugee city)
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    ...........Kind of diminishing the prize
    10366053_508932102567443_1213192627673569165_n.jpg

9. ripalino

ripalino Member

Feb 26, 2013
    Sao Paulo
    Club:
    Fluminense Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil

The "favoutites" tag means that you should win the whole thing.....It actually depends on your perception of what you consider as being a success....If you think that making the last 4 is a success, then i wont say that germany is a LOSER. But, If you are a Brazilian and dont win the cup you are consisdered a LOSER..

So, it depends on your perception. If you ask me i will say that if a team is labelled as favourites, it should do justice to that tag by winning it at regular intervals ( now what "regular intervals" is also depends on your perception.......once in 10 years or once in 24 years etc ).

10. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    There's more than one favorite every time, and only one team can win the whole thing.

Only two teams have won more than Germany, they win at fairly regular intervals by that standard.

11. Kaka10725

Kaka10725 Member+

Jun 1, 2007
    They also tied with Spain as the most Euro championships. So, they win international titles on regular intervals. You can't win a World Cup every time, that impossible.

I also disagree with the notion that if Brazil don't win; they should be considered loser. The tournament is too difficult and far too many variables decide whether you win it or not.

MatthausSammer repped this.
  12. NotreDameFlamengo

Jul 25, 2011
    Raleigh, NC
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    A lot of luck is needed to win. There's a small group of teams (8 or so) that have the talent to win. The amount of luck these teams get in balls bouncing their way and opposing teams screwing up plays a huge part in a knockout tourney. And of course, the more talented the team, the less luck you need, but every team does need it.

MatthausSammer repped this.
  13. Kaka10725

Kaka10725 Member+

Jun 1, 2007
    Luck, form, talent and coaching IMO. You must have all 4.

14. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    Roque Jr. won practically everything that can be won; I think we're already there. :D

benni... repped this.
  15. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
  16. Ribo_2006

Ribo_2006 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 13, 2006
    Uk
    David villa has signed for some msl new francise New York.

Can't deny feeling abit sad, knowing the wc is probably the last time I'll see anything of villa at top level.

However he is physically declining, he's still very capable of getting 15 possibly even 20goals a season in la liga, but in another year or two I think he would probably struggle, his once raw pace appears to fading at an alarming rate.

In any case a 32 yr old David Villa will absolutely smash it in America. Massive boost for the MLS.