Futbol catracho - Seleccion Honduras-

Discussion in 'CONCACAF' started by efernandez9, Jul 30, 2002.

1. efernandez9

efernandez9 Member

Jun 6, 1999
    Joe Pool Lake
    he is injury prone or does not waht to miss preseason bonus with the metro stars in NY! he is not going to asia

Tyson nuñes is not going either....

first game vs. Honk kong

2. Ronaldinho11

Ronaldinho11 Red Card

Jul 28, 2003
    San Pedro Sula
    Club:
    CD Olimpia
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    I heard david suazo, "Rambo" de Leon, Dani Turcios, Milton "Tyson" Nunez, Amado Guevara, and Carlos Pavon weren't gonna go.

the first 4 because they didnt get permission from their teams to go.

Amado because of injury

Pavon got cleared to go but Bora didnt wanna take him??$-)

That's like 6 starters out of an 11 man team? are they serious? They are gonna make fools out of theirselves in Carlsberg Cup.[-o<

3. efernandez9

efernandez9 Member

Jun 6, 1999
    Joe Pool Lake
    today: 0-1 perdio Honduras

La selección sub-23 de México venció esta noche a su similar de Honduras 1-0 en partido de preparación para el torneo Preolímpico ante unos 17 mil aficionados en el estadio Lockhart de esta ciudad.

El gol fue anotado por el delantero Rafael Márquez al minuto 16, quien culminó una brillante jugada del conjunto mexicano que incluyó cuatro toques.

México dominó ampliamente la primera mitad del partido con base en un juego de conjunto más dinámico que le permitio poner en peligro en varias ocasiones la meta del conjunto dirigido por Edwin Pavón.

cuanta gente iria?

4. beachesl

beachesl Member

Oct 21, 2002
    Mendoza, Argentina
    Why are Hondurans called "catrachos"?

5. efernandez9

efernandez9 Member

Jun 6, 1999
    Joe Pool Lake
    let me ask the wife....ummmm

hey dude, the carlsberg Cup on golTV direct from 1/22, second game on 1/28

6. Ronaldinho11

Ronaldinho11 Red Card

Jul 28, 2003
    San Pedro Sula
    Club:
    CD Olimpia
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    Uyyyy Papa!!!!!...Golazo del Tyson el sabado por la noche para que Necaxa consiguiera una victoria de 2-0

Es el primer gol del Tyson desde llegar al Necaxa.

Pavon no se vio bien y no anoto, pero por ay le va bien en el futuro.

Oy debuta Dani Turcios en el Tecos por la Clausura ojala que le vaya bien!!!!

7. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
    AMÉRICA DE CALI
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    18,214 at Lockhart watch Mexico win

If the Fusion had attracted more crowds like the one that filled Lockhart Stadium for Saturday night's friendly between the under-23 teams of Mexico and Honduras, the defunct MLS team might still be around.

Before a crowd of 18,214, Mexico scored a 1-0 win on a 17th minute goal by Rafael Marquez that came as many fans were still entering the stadium. The turnout was a surprise for promoters, who were still counting tickets after the match had ended.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/sfl-locksoccer18jan18,0,745145.story?coll=sfla-sports-headlines

8. efernandez9

efernandez9 Member

Jun 6, 1999
    Joe Pool Lake
    por eso creo que la idea de vergara y chivas USA funcionara con los latinos. Sacar un equipo de latinos/estado Unidenses de nacimiento y un par de refuerzos de Nombre en concacaf o conmebol

seguro no hacen 18k por game, pero muy bien pueden igual el promedio de los demas!

rnal11 - a pavon le anotaron un gol, ojala le valla bien con el colombiano del DIM: Mao molina

9. Ronaldinho11

Ronaldinho11 Red Card

Jul 28, 2003
    San Pedro Sula
    Club:
    CD Olimpia
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    Hoy juega honduras vs. Hong Kong por la copa carlsberg, trajeron a muchos jugadores experimentados los hondurenos ojala que les vaya bien.

efer, como asi que le anotaron un gol a pavon?

10. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
    AMÉRICA DE CALI
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Honduras viajó a Colombia para jugar partidos amistosos

Como parte de su preparación para las eliminatorias de los Juegos Olímpicos de Atenas 2004, la selección sub-23 de Honduras, que dirige Edwin Pavón, viajó a nuestro país para disputar tres partidos amistosos con equipos del torneo local.

http://www.colombia.com/futbol/noticias/DetalleNoticia20706.asp

11. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
    AMÉRICA DE CALI
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Telemundo is going to be showing Honduras versus somebody on Sunday the 25th at 1 p.m. eastern.

12. IowaBoy

IowaBoy Member

Jul 23, 2003
    Des Moines
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Honduras game on Telemundo

is against Norway, who beat the Swiss 3-0.

Here's a link from La Prensa with information on the game, as well as the one with the HKXI, with an interview with Pompilio Cacho, who scored the game-winning goal against the Hong Kong side:

http://www.laprensahn.com/deportes.php?id=1006&tabla=January_2004&fecha=20040124

Also, my understanding of the term catracho/a is that it is similar to "Yankee" for Americans, that there isn't necessarily a meaning in Spanish associated with it, other than to identify as Honduran. At least, this is what I got from my Honduran girlfriend.

13. beachesl

beachesl Member

Oct 21, 2002
    Mendoza, Argentina
    Source of "Catracho"

Actualmente, Hawkeye, I went on a Honduran talk forum and found out the source, which apparently a large majority number of Hondurans don't know about. Catracho doesn't mean anything in Spanish or any other language, it's derived from a surname. From poster "Ramon":

<<- "Catrachos" stems from the nickname given to the followers of General Xatruch, in post-colonial Honduras when there were small battles and rebellions for control of power. Remember that in old spanish "x" was pronounced as "j", take for example "Mexico" said "Mejico". So when Xatruch would go to a battle with his team, people would say, "here come the xatruch ("jatruch")". "Xatruch" eventually started to degenerate (as do many words in any spoken language) to "xatruches", then to "xatrachos" and finally to "catrachos". Now you know the history of "catrachos", don't you just feel a bit prouder of your heritage. >>

I think he tought I was a Yankee of Catracho ancestry. Actually I'm a Canuck of Taffy ancestry.

A little more research shows that this same General Xatruch became a Vice-President of Honduras in the mid-nineteenth century, but was removed from office by a constitutional court (why, I don't know). Although many sources ascribe some shady dealings to this character, and that he may have been a bit of a mercenary raider ( at the time apparently many of these irregular "armies" roamed throughout the chaotic Central America, and since Xatruch came from Honduras, people from other countries associated him with Honduras), his name is still held in some esteem by some in Honduras. In fact, when Honduras assembled a military contingent to assist with the American occupation of Iraq a few months ago, it was christened the Xatruch Brigade to evoke pride.

14. IowaBoy

IowaBoy Member

Jul 23, 2003
    Des Moines
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    very interesting, thanks!

I'll have to give the girlfriend a history lesson!

Oh, by the way, I have family ties to Iowa State, so even though Iowa is the "Hawkeye" state, as that is the University of Iowa's mascot, I'd prefer to be called a Cyclone! :)

15. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Honduras Changes Coaches

http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com/06/en/041017/7/2fpz.html

Honduras sack Martinez and bring back Herrera
    17 October 2004
    by Reuters

Honduras have sacked Raul Martinez as national team coach after seven games and replaced him with veteran Jose de la Paz Herrera, who returns for a third stint in the job and becomes their third coach this year.
    Herrera's first game in charge will be next month's World Cup qualifier at home to Costa Rica, which Honduras must win to qualify for the final stage of the CONCACAF zone next year.

"Professor Herrera will give the team the energy and experience they need at this moment," said Rafael Callejas, president of the Honduran Football Federation (FENAFUTH).

"I think it's the appropriate decision and will have the right effect on the team."

Martinez took over after high-profile coach Bora Milutinovic resigned last June in protest at fierce criticism from the media and local directors.

Martinez was in charge for two friendlies and five World Cup qualifiers in Group B in the second stage of the CONCACAF qualifiers.

Honduras made a spectacular start to the group, winning 5-2 away to Costa Rica, but failed to capitalise as they drew their next three matches and lost 1-0 to Guatemala last week.

Herrera was in charge when Honduras qualified for their only World Cup in 1982. He returned again 20 years later but was sacked after less than one year at the helm.

Edit: I see this was discussed in another topic.