News: FUNDS APPROVED! - Wizards Stadium Thread v8.4 - NOW WITH PICTURES!

Discussion in 'Sporting Kansas City' started by Beech, Nov 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kot Matroskin

Kot Matroskin Member+

Aug 10, 2007
    SF Bay Area
    Re: FUNDS APPROVED! - Wizards Stadium Thread v8.4

As far as competing for soccer headlines, I can see it both ways. It might actually be perfect timing that the two events coincide.

You might see it as "competing for soccer headlines", but the problem is that usually there are no soccer headlines to compete for. Except for during a World Cup, that is, when it seems that even people who are normally ambivalent about the sport are suddenly thinking and talking about it. That's a perfect time to build a connection between the excitement people are feeling toward the WC and the Wizards stadium/team.

The perfect time for the opening would be right after the WC, with news of the stadium being released in a way that builds anticipation during the WC.

Just not too long after the WC. We don't want to allow time for enthusiasm to wane. The first or second weekend after the final would be perfect.

2. matthias

matthias New Member

Jan 11, 2004
    opark ks

I agree to not agree with any of those ideas. I think any time near the end of the world cup or right after would be nice. Who knows what the schedule will be like by that year, maybe we will be in the playoffs as well.....World Cup is only time non-soccer maniacs watch soccer or at least know theres something big going on, may tempt them to come out. I'd imagine the opener will be sold out anyway, and surely be close to sold out for the remainder of the season. I don't think it makes a marketing difference.

"June 25, 2006
    In the Grand Opening match at TOYOTA PARK, an overflow crowd of 20,133 sees the "Men in Red" use goals by captain Chris Armas and midfielder Thiago to notch a 2-0 victory over the New York Red Bulls. "

Thats a sellout, but the games following the Opening saw a drop. I will call FIFA today, to see if I can change up the World Cup Schedule, they usually get right back to me......so hang tight.

3. Craig-o

Craig-o Member

Sep 8, 2005
    Derby, KS
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

However, the ESPNZone/Pub/Whatever it is should be open for all the people not travelling to South Africa. That would be a great way to introduce the stadium a little early without actually opening it.

4. Lord Helmet

Lord Helmet Member

Apr 29, 2005
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: I Will Crush You - Wizards Stadium Thread v8.4

Quoted for truth :)

5. Lord Helmet

Lord Helmet Member

Apr 29, 2005
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Same reason I did...to have a good laugh.

6. matthias

matthias New Member

Jan 11, 2004
    opark ks

Can there be a better commercial for the stadium opening than the World Cup?
    It should be packed however many games we see there in 2010, esp if the KCW have another couple of good seasons! Fire up the Hype Machine.

M.

7. KCFutbol

KCFutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 14, 2001
    Overland Park, KS
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

But so much of it isn't the least little bit funny. The hate and racism usually expressed in the comment sections is truly frightening.

8. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Again, the reason I'm waiting (but not holding my breath) for the Star to make you have to register to have to post comments.

9. YiddoInAkron

YiddoInAkron Member

Mar 1, 2008
    Akron, OH
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC

Congrats to your organization. Nothing better that I love to hear than a new stadium being approved. Can't wait to see it built. Every team deserves their own soccer specific stadium.

10. tKCyclone

tKCyclone Member

May 2, 2007
    Johnston, Iowa, USA
    Club:
    Des Moines Menace
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

This would be great because the WC is pretty much the only soccer event that ever hits the main-stream in the US. It's how a lot of people get into it...I know I've already said that it's how I got into soccer. If there had been a brand new soccer stadium in town right after the WC I would've definitely gone. Heck, it's why I went to my first Menace game...especially since it was the playoffs.

All I know is that the Chiefs are depressing, the Royals forgot what the word 'playoff' means, and their rennovations will, hopefully, be done AFTER Hillcrest is completed, plus it'll be right after the WC. This may be happening at the perfect time...then again I might just be overly optimistic.

11. kopiteinkc

kopiteinkc Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2000
    Shawnee
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

My preference would be to open the stadium at the beginning of a new season rather than midway through.

I can see the argument for trying to get a World Cup bounce, but is that too dependent on the US doing well? Hypothetically, if the US were to go 0-3 and come home early would that hurt a potential opening?

12. tKCyclone

tKCyclone Member

May 2, 2007
    Johnston, Iowa, USA
    Club:
    Des Moines Menace
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I don't think so. I wish it were different, but most people in the US don't really care about the national team, they end up cheering for another country, anyways. Although, if the US does well I could see it impacting it a little.

13. kcscsupporter

kcscsupporter Member+

Apr 17, 2002
    D17
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

i disagree about this comment. i think people care every bit about our national soccer team as they do about our basketball team or any other type of national squad. the media doesn't give it the same treatment, but that's a foregone conclusion. also, those that you find cheering for another country are probably doing it as a second-team-type thing, but would choose the united states in head-to-head. obviously, there's exceptions like recent immigrants or clueless morons.

14. Kot Matroskin

Kot Matroskin Member+

Aug 10, 2007
    SF Bay Area

You're both right.

Head to head, and in general, people will root for the US team. However, there is a lot of interest in teams that aren't the US team.

Partly, I think that there is a kind of vague expectation that the USMNT will not do very well. Partly, too, there is the idea that soccer is a Foreign Sport, therefore people look for a foreign team to follow. Also, the media do very little to promote interest in the team outside of the WC.

That's just the way it is, unfortunately, but what's good is that every WC year, there are more people who are converted to fans, and some start following their local team.

Mark, I hear what you are saying about ideally starting at the beginning of the season, but I thought that that ship had sailed. Even starting demo at the end of September we were saying that we were looking at May 2010 at the earliest. As it is, I reckon they'll have to hustle in order to even be ready by the end of July 2010.

15. KCBearcat

KCBearcat New Member

Nov 16, 2004
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I'm sure he meant something like the beginning of the 2011 season.

16. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Not that it matters a whole lot cause it's not official renderings, but has anyone noticed how the new renditions of the stadium and surrounding area has a new stadium placeholder? This one more square than the one at the bottom of the Hillcrest Road blog?
    new
    [​IMG]

old
    [​IMG]

17. Kot Matroskin

Kot Matroskin Member+

Aug 10, 2007
    SF Bay Area

You're right. I read his post too fast the first time and missed that he said "a new season". Sorry, Mark, for the misunderstanding.

Of course, that means that I have to out and out disagree. No way do I think we should wait for the following year if we can move in earlier. Look at the Salt Lakers. They only had a very few games in their new stadium this year, but it was a great success.

18. SombraAla

SombraAla Member+

Apr 2, 2006
    Waldo (Kansas City)
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I don't see that right now (on Hillcrest Road at least) - where did you get that from?

19. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

The one I have marked as old is down at the bottom of the Hillcrest Road website. Just go and hit your end button and you'll see it. The one I have marked as new is on the Wizards website in the gallery for "New Wizards stadium plan approved" on the main page.

20. morry

morry Member

Jun 17, 2006
    Denver- Captial Hill
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Nice find- I see where one says "Preliminary Site Plan" While the newer one is simply "Site Plan". "I've got to spread reputation around"

21. TPBinKC

TPBinKC Member

Feb 2, 2007
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Covered the rep...

Does not look like there is a roof over the Cauldron in this version.

22. cjgwizard

cjgwizard Member

Apr 25, 2006
    LSP, section 129
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

It also looks like there is a beach on the north side of the stadium.....maybe that will be the tailgate area. Sand, sun, and beer....can't beat that for a good party, right? :D

23. Helghallen

Helghallen Member
    Staff Member

Apr 16, 2003
    Raymore, MO

Starting 11 girls in bikinis? :D

24. PezJunkie

PezJunkie Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Independence, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

:rolleyes:

Also, you'll notice that the buildings in the office complex just to the right of the stadium no longer cast a shadow! Either they've decided to install some serious artificial lighting around this area or this "office complex" has been moved *underground*. ;)

25. TPBinKC

TPBinKC Member

Feb 2, 2007
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I wasn't being too serious, just did not put a smilie on it...;)