Fun 1 on 1 games to play at home

Discussion in 'Coach' started by elessar78, Oct 11, 2018.

1. elessar78

elessar78 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 12, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    #1 elessar78, Oct 11, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2018
    So winter is coming and me and my kids tend to play inside the house. We clear out the basement, garage, play room, living room and we try to play "soccer" games. For example, in the garage, I rigged up a rudimentary game of soccer tennis. Or we play this game with two cones spread ~3 yards apart, one player tries to dribble her ball to touch the cone before i can touch the cone. Dribbler gets a point if she can touch the cone with her ball first, it's good for practicing changes of direction.

With my younger one we play silly games where we set-up her dinosaurs and try to knock them down or pass to each other without hitting them—helps work on passing.

Our house is set-up in a loop. I do "challenges" for them—can they do the loop without hitting any walls or objects? Left foot only? Sometimes we set up obstacles. Sometimes we do it as a time-trial.

I saw a video tweet once, this one coach he's more of speed and agility trainer, he set up all his cones, hurdles, hoops, etc around the house for the kids to run through an obstacle course.

Do you have any other games that can be: played indoors, in small spaces, soccer or athletic related?

rca2 repped this.
  2. rca2

rca2 Member+

Nov 25, 2005
    Excellent topic.

3. Dynamo Kev

Dynamo Kev Member

Oct 24, 2000
    I break out the agility ladder when we’re stuck inside. Wish so bad I had a basement with a wall.

elessar78 repped this.
  4. elessar78

elessar78 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 12, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Expain this one. Do you have a basement? Or they are just occupied with things. Yeah, I have a book case against one of my basement walls but it's concrete block. so I'm now thinking of moving that and use it as a wall the older one can pass against. Thanks for the idea!

5. Dynamo Kev

Dynamo Kev Member

Oct 24, 2000
    No my house is 120 years old. I have a cellar, the kind you don’t want be in for too long. Growing up I had basement with a cinderblock wall and would endlessly throw/kick balls against it. Whenever I go to a game now and the field has a practice wall I will use it for 10/15 mins, I find it therapeutic.

elessar78 repped this.
  6. Cantona's Eyebrow

Dirty Leeds
    Togo
    Oct 8, 2018
    Growing up I used to play keepy-up with a balloon in my house. Good for your touch.

7. Peter Rival

Peter Rival Member

Oct 21, 2015
    I used to do that against a wall of bricks that were reserved for finishing the chimney on my parents' house - my Dad had become very busy at work and the chimney was unused at the time. I guess when he finally had time to work on the chimney again he was, ah, rather displeased at how many of his bricks had corners chipped off. Oops... :ROFLMAO::whistling:

8. rca2

rca2 Member+

Nov 25, 2005
    I guess I basically don't view winter the same way you guys do. I grew up in Michigan and winter was the time for winter sports. I skated daily. We played basketball on shoveled off driveways. Are people getting soft?

9. Buckingham Badger

May 28, 2003
    people aren't getting soft. Just think of who is on here. People who love, LOVE soccer. The average fan/rec coach isn't here. Therefore the people on here are biased toward soccer.

A secondary question is what is wrong with the kids. My answer is nothing. The kids are good. the parents are nuts. My oldest is in 3rd grade. My kids do soccer, flag football, basketball and wrestling and they like golf and tennis. Every club sport they talk about kids being kids and having time off and school comes first but then they push their sport in the offseason. My kid just had tryouts for 3rd grade basketball. When I was a kid basketball didn't start until 3rd grade and the first tryout was in 6th. Now we start in September, practice all October and play all Nov-mid Feb. its crazy.

Every kid that I knew that went 100% to one sport before middle school all quit in HS because of burning out.

10. Buckingham Badger

May 28, 2003
    #10 Buckingham Badger, Oct 19, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2018
    To simply add what I do with my kids - My wife won't let soccer balls in the house (same with footballs or whatever). What are allowed are tennis balls. There are probably 1-2 balls in any room. The kids know they will get in trouble for kicking them and potentially breaking them (so they still do it sometimes) but mostly they dribble them around. This naturally leads them to playing with each other and they learn to shield the ball. My kids make up their own games, add in some races and winter goes pretty quick.

One cannot push them all the time and we rotate sports in my family. Winter is for wrestling and basketball and maybe some indoor or futsal but we welcome the break. We live a few miles away from a small ski hill. Its not fun for a full day but its great for a few hours. I love seeing the skills from one sport translate to another.

11. elessar78

elessar78 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 12, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    We decided to make our house "play" friendly a few years ago. We don't keep anything around that we wouldn't mind breaking. We've eschewed getting new pieces of furniture until the kids are older. It hasn't been a problem since the kids don't have the power to break anything yet, but that seems to be rapidly changing—so we may update our policy.

I have a gravel driveway, so we can't play on that. Our house sits on a corner lot with two blind corners, and I don't trust the drivers to be smart and keep their speeds down.

12. rustysurf83

rustysurf83 Member

Dec 30, 2015
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    We play panna in the living room all the time. Only a couple holes in the walls so far...lol.

13. elessar78

elessar78 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 12, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    from balls?

14. Cantona's Eyebrow

Dirty Leeds
    Togo
    Oct 8, 2018
    Who wears the trousers in your house, Badger?!! Set that wife of yours straight and give the kids a ball ;)

15. Buckingham Badger

May 28, 2003
    I follow the old rule. If mama isn't happy - nobody's happy.

The reality is there are a few soft balls in the house but my feet cannot step on legos or even worse beyblade parts that my 2 youngest are into. My house is a giant mess as I am trying to finish our basement.

16. Buckingham Badger

May 28, 2003
    Oooh, I just googled this. I like the instant win w/ a nutmeg.
    When I was a kid it led to massive amounts of shit talking but my kids now think that is bullying.

17. Cantona's Eyebrow

Dirty Leeds
    Togo
    Oct 8, 2018
    A good rule to follow :)

18. rustysurf83

rustysurf83 Member

Dec 30, 2015
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Ball doesn’t really get enough velocity in Panna to make it through drywall, so I assume mostly body parts. One of them definitely looks like a foot...My daughter continually reads Dan Blank’s books and definitely took some of the “attitude” portion from Everything Your Coach Never Told You to heart. She gets a little intense, lol. As long as we don’t break the fireplace we’re good.