Fulhamerica: the Ream Continues [R]

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Real Corona, Jan 24, 2012.

1. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    We may be rooting against them due to a team we support. It's not malicious. I hope for the best for Ream and the legacy of Fulham, but they have been terrible x10 this season.

2. KALM

KALM Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Boston/Providence
    Right now the worst you can say about Ream is he is someone who has been voted Player of the Year for a Championship team in multiple seasons, including for a top 3 promoted side. It's very possible that's his ceiling and he has no place in the Premier League -- although that's an awfully tight space between a floor and a ceiling to feel 100% confident about.

But even assuming that's the case, that strikes me as pretty similar to a number of our players -- like Jay Demerit, or Gregg Berhalter, or Eddie Lewis -- who each played one season for a terrible, relegated top flight team, but otherwise carved out a respectable career as a standout in the Championship or Bundesliga 2. And I just don't remember their threads on this forum being filled with disparaging remarks.

The main difference I think is that Ream's career has been defined, in a lot of fans' minds, by a couple of bad USMNT performances -- mainly a Gold Cup from 8 years ago, and 2 bad WC qualifiers recently. I think that's a bit of a shame because Ream's overall professional career (and his presence on a now legendary club in this forum) makes me want to root for him as much as I did Demerit, Berhalter, or Lewis (even if he's never started in a successful World Cup like those other three players have).

3. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    Raleigh
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ream has some of the elements of a top notch central defender. He’s pretty fast, he’s pretty agile, and he’s a good passer.

His weaknesses are he needs about another 10 pounds of lean body mass, and better concentration. IOW, he’s pretty much the definition of who he is...a player who bounces between the top two levels.

4. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

Arsenal
    United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I think it's more that Ream had hype. He was viewed as a potential ball-playing CB of the future.

Plus, Ream has a habit of looking really bad when he makes an error. Like comically amateur. Obviously he's not a bad player, but his mistakes often make him look like he snuck into the locker room off the street.

neems and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  5. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    I kinda wonder how might be perform in a less physical league like say Serie A.

6. neems

neems Member+

Liverpool FC
    United States
    Apr 14, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’m curious if the rant Tim made to his teammates earlier this year really had an effect on chemistry. I remember listening to SiriusXM FC and they mentioned to coach coming to Reams defense in a presser. Well, that coach is long gone now and Ream doesn’t look to have inspired the side.