Fulhamerica: the Ream Continues [R]

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Real Corona, Jan 24, 2012.

1. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So can the players they have at the club, ffs. They aren't going to spend any money on a player who can't trap a ball with pace of any kind under pressure. That kind of technique buys you a job in MLS, but not in the Prem.

2. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    While, Ream did start and lose 1-4 to Arsenal; this graphic is for, his fellow Yank Abroad, Eric Lichaj.

freisland and Winoman repped this.
  4. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Okay. Yes, I made mistake.

Here is the correct lineup card.
    :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

5. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Such a sweetheart. :D

6. quolo

quolo Member

Fulham
    United States
    May 11, 2005
    Austin/NYC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was a bad result today, but from what I saw, Ream is playing like a player transformed from earlier in the season.

He looked completely lost earlier in the season--a step slow, hesitating, devoid of confidence. I was all but ready to concede that he is no more than a Championship player. He looked totally out of place.

Today I thought he was Fulham's best player.

7. striker

striker Member+

Aug 4, 1999
    he was great in blocking one point blank shot, but I thought he was late in recognizing a late run into the box by an opponent that led to one of the goals.

ttrevett repped this.
  8. quolo

quolo Member

Fulham
    United States
    May 11, 2005
    Austin/NYC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If that's Xhaka's goal, I'm of the opinion that was Cairney's man. That's a midfielder making a run and Cairney just handed him off to nobody.

Ream did have a couple of bad moments right at the end of the first half, but that's about all I felt he did wrong.

9. KALM

KALM Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Boston/Providence
    Probably worth noting, Fulham lost one of their starting CB's -- Alfie Mawson -- to what might be a long term knee injury just a few days ago.

10. kruck

kruck Member+

Jan 12, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
  11. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll agree that Xhaka was not his man, and had made a great late run from midfield to get into the box and on the end of that pass. My initial thought was that the run happened in front of TR, and he had a defender on his left, so IMO he should have recognized the threat from the run and moved to cover for the midfielder who let him run free into the box. Not directly at fault, but a good defender would have seen that develop and known how dangerous his presence was in the box.

striker repped this.
  12. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
  13. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They play lately with three at the back, and at some point even if TR is makeweight for Cahill one of the other two will show some flaws. It ain't just TR that is the problem in this team.

14. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    I would substitute quicker-reacting for good. It's a team game, and defense is certainly a team effort. Not that Ream is blameless, but Fulham's defense has been pretty poor all season, with Ream and without him, with Ream involved in conceding some goals and without his involvement in others. [A video compilation might be worth undertaking.]

A fair number of Ream-involved goals share this quality: Ream has a tough choice in deciding which attacking player to defend - his guy, or someone else's. Ream moves to take on a teammate's responsibility, whereupon Ream's (unmarked) attacker scores (and blame ensues). [Note that some - but of course not all - of the goals USMNT opponents' scored 'on Ream' also share this quality, with Ream trying to cover for a teammate's deficiencies.]

Where I would agree with many/most here is that Ream lacks the elite quickness, physicality and athletic ability to individually handle Premiership-level attacking players. Where I likely disagree is my opinion that on the right team, in the right set-up with the right teammates, he could a last a couple more years in the Premier League. He's not great, but that doesn't mean he's not good enough.

chad and ttrevett repped this.
  15. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would definitely agree with that take. It seems like he is caught between two players and the guy he doesn't take scores the goal.

16. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    The best that can be said is that Ream is not their biggest problem.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  17. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
  19. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    What division is Oldham in?

20. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Fourth. 10th place in League Two.

They don't even have a permanent manager right now.

21. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It’s probably good for Fulham in the long run. They need to focus on their league campaign.

22. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the bigger upset is the Leicester City loss.

23. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    They need to prepare for their return to the Championship.

24. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    That game was still happening when I posted, but yes, I'd agree, even accounting for Newport being home and Oldham being away.