Fulham Yourself If You Don't Believe It: Dempsey VI

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Dr. Gamera, Sep 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SoccerKowboy

SoccerKowboy BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 13, 2007
    Virginia, USA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's funny, because even as a Spurs fan I would have been happy to see Dempsey cap his career by playing at Arsenal. In fact, that seemed a much likelier scenario.

This is so much better.

2. MightyMouse

MightyMouse BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 19, 2003
    Island paradise east of the mainland
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I feel your pain, I know a few other Liverpool supporters that were cautiously happy that Liverpool were in talks with Fulham, still believing the deal would go through when it was first rejected, in complete disbelief when they heard Liverpool stopped negotiating but were still holding out hope, and now completely suicidal as fans.

USvsIRELAND repped this.
  3. Frankball

Frankball Member+

Sep 11, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My take: Brendan Rodgers was betrayed by the Liverpool hierarchy. Simple as that.

4. McGarnagle

McGarnagle Member+

Apr 29, 2010
    Club:
    FC Ingolstadt 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.tottenhamhotspur.com/spurs/News/dempseys-dream-01092012.page?

Some more quotes in addition to the twitter ones posted earlier:

5. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good move for Dempsey... Spurs are a cut below top 3, but will fight for 4th and have as good a chance as anyone. This makes the Carroll loan all the more bizarre from an LFC perspective.

I don't see Dempsey playing a lot when all is said and done, but we will see.

6. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    distinct possibility. I honestly see mid table as best case scenario for them. and im talking 10-12 mid table

7. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    You have got to wonder why the owners couldn't pony up an extra few million.
    Especially when they are trying to sell the club to America with this tour and documentary series.
    Having (arguably) the best US player of all time on your team could make a difference there.

And on top of that I think Clint would have fit in alot better at LFC compared to Spurs. No bias I just think he's guaranteed PT every match at LFC and he's got alot of competition at Spurs.

8. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Being a Texan playing for Spurs just conjures up a slew of good thread titles. You could only dream of a perfect match! :D

9. Editor In Chimp

Editor In Chimp Member+

Sep 7, 2008
    Judging by the way he and Larry Lucchino approached negotiating with the Cubs over Theo Epstein last winter, I'd say that's a distinct possibility.

If the report about a $3m bid is right, then either LFC truly thought they were the only option and felt they could lowball FFC, or Rogers was given far, far less than he thought and did his best to make it work with money + players.

10. Frankball

Frankball Member+

Sep 11, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Indeed. Personally, it wouldn't be surprise Liverpool finishes between 11th to 15th in the table standings. In fact, the Reds could plunge into relegation battle zone if they lose to my club (Arsenal) on Sunday.

11. KALM

KALM Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Boston/Providence
    I'll go further and say that Liverpool will likely find themselves in League One before this season is even over.

12. Frankball

Frankball Member+

Sep 11, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's either communication failure (between coaching staff and ownership) or division within management/ownership on planning to get Clint Dempsey. Another possibility is that they were using a statistical model (coined from the "Moneyball") in determining Clint Dempsey's transfer value.

The partial content from the Daily Mirror UK story is amazing (see below).

"The Reds boss cleared the decks at Anfield by offloading EIGHT players in the transfer window to keep his side of the bargain as the club looked to slash a bloated wage bill.
    Yet after loaning Andy Carroll to West Ham, Rodgers revealed he did so only because he had been promised the board would provide a replacement.
    He wanted America hitman Dempsey, but that deal collapsed as Fulham revealed they had rejected an offer of JUST £3million for him."

It boils down to a simple question: Who wields the decision-making process at Liverpool?

13. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope someone can work 'chicken fried steak' into a thread title or maybe chicken fried spurs

14. Fanatical Monk

Fanatical Monk Member+

Jun 14, 2011
    Fantasyland
    Ah, the ole' double relegation. When just one relegation wont do.

Cris 09 repped this.
  15. oscar_in_fw

oscar_in_fw Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Kansas City
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed. I'm surprised the American owners did not step in to give BR the latitude to bid up on Dempsey. If they were serious about selling the club to America, Dempsey would have been the perfect fit. They should have done more to acquire Dempsey BEFORE the American tour this past summer. But even during the hours before the trade deadline, not bidding more than £4M for Dempsey was a huge mistake for an alleged "Big Club".

16. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    I just dont understand it.

17. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dempsey and Dembele really look that alike, huh?

18. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Cheap bastards.

19. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's shocking. No way Rodgers does all that if he new ownership would tighten its purse strings as soon as he sold/loaned everyone out. Wouldn't surprise me if Rodgers leaves at some point this season or next summer. If you're a manager and do what's asked of you, ownership doesn't hold up their end and you're far less potent because of it, why stick around?

BTW, I;m now also rooting for Fulham to finish above Pool.That would be great. Tottenham is almost certain too, but if Fulham does as well it will be quite deserving, and entertaining to see the fallout.

20. supercooper

supercooper Red Card

Jun 23, 2008
    With or without Suarez, they are going to really struggle to score goals.

Were Lucas not hurt, they could move Sahin up into one of the 3 forward spots.
    I guess they could bring Henderson into the side (for Sahin) and put Sahin up front.

But this is all patchwork stuff (including using the 17 year old). If everything goes right,
    it could work- but the odds favor it not working. Heaven forbid Suarez misses a run of
    games. They would implode offensively.

Very little margin for error. Even less than Everton.

I've got now:

1) Man U
    2) Man City
    3) Chelsea or Tottenham
    4) Chelsea or Tottenham
    5) Everton
    6) Arsenal
    7) Newcastle
    8) Liverpool
    9) Swansea
    10) QPR
    ** Fulham 12th **

21. checkolad

checkolad Member

Aug 13, 2010
    London,putney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    City,United, Chelsea, Arsenal, Tottenham, Newcastle, Fulham and Everton could possibly finish above us this season although I think we'll have an impovement from last season. I highly doubt we'll come 11th to 15th considering our team is better this season.

22. checkolad

checkolad Member

Aug 13, 2010
    London,putney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    Three games in its really early to say, Sahin should help us create clearer cut chances, the team is still getting used the the sytem and If Aissaidi can perform as I know he can i'm optimistic.Borini looks like he's getting the ball in good positions but Gerard needs to read his runs better however if Borini AND Suarez get injured we are ********ed.

23. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Put Sahin up front? That's not a good place for him...much less in a new league. Kid is a CM.

24. Frankball

Frankball Member+

Sep 11, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, you have to factor Swansea City, West Brom (they beat Liverpool 3-0 on the first game), and Sunderland. If they maintain their stellar performance - it's early in the season, so I know - Liverpool would have a mid-table fight in their hands. And you can't dismiss Wigan Athletic since they got big £ from Chelsea, whom they spend some of it.

25. wooglin12

wooglin12 Member

Mar 26, 2005
    Birmingham, AL
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is there any chance Dempsey sees the field tomorrow?