Fulham vs Liverpool FC - EPL - Mar 17 [R]

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by el-capitano, Mar 13, 2019.

1. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I don't really disagree with most of the critical comments made, but at the risk of being repetitive - if Mo was at even 50% of last season's effectiveness, we would have put this game and the Everton game to bed very comfortably.

Klopp has decided to let him play back to form. Hard to argue with that but if it was me I'd shake things up a bit - Mo at LW with Mane on the right for a while ..... or at least have them trade places 4 or 5 times during the game.

Mo is working his ass off yes but he is right now v predictable for defenders plus his selfishness is getting to be a real problem.

2. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    This is the kernel of it. I'd add that everything gets switched to TAA or Robertson too often = always, every-time, allowing for banks of defenders to mass against the crosses - if Karl-Heinze Reidle or Ronaldo or Gry Speed or Les Ferdinand were playing for us that would be fine.... but they aren't....Too many times yesterday I thought that instead of the pass to Trent or the big switch, Fab could have ran toward the edge of the box and then seen if Firmino or whoever had wriggled open for a sharp deft pass into him (sure, those plays are % much more likely to lose you the ball, but they are the ones that break tight defences down)
    (lallana does that but he tends to not be often enough in the position where Fab and Naby seem to get on the ball and run where Naby often opts to run it - Lallana tends to be wider out). We got to start playing that variant a bit more.
    Anyway, still in this thing .... pheww....

3. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    Top scorers in the prem

Aguero 18
    Salah. 17
    Mane. 17
    Kane. 17
    Aubamalaladingdong. 17

Mo has had chances to double that I agree but still he's not doing to badly. He's playing on the right obviously so he can cut back onto his left. He missed a couple of those Sunday as well as a 1v1 after a brilliant run. In the normal run of things he'd have had at least 2 in this match. He does switch places during the match, and does a fair share of tracking back to defend.

He needs a good shot of confidence and I don't know how to administer that. We just can't afford to drop him.

4. usscouse

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    #104 usscouse, Mar 18, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2019
    As for the run in we'll see who can hold their nerve. Both teams were lucky to see 3 points over the weekend. Obviously we have to play 6 ( or is it 7 ) cup finals. We can't afford a draw let alone a loss.

Then for our state of mind we have to hope (shit ... I never said this) that Manure...,, I can't say it. :) and spurs put up a fight and don't take Citeh lying down

I'd like to win it on our merits though not relying on others. But I'll take it anyway without worrying about pride. :)

5. dcc134

dcc134 Member+

Liverpool FC
    May 15, 2000
    Hummelstown, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hyperbole much?

Mo is finishing at the same rate as last year, he's just not getting as many getting quality chances as before. Teams are overloading his side to shut him down, which is creating openings for Mane. We are 3 goals off our pace from last year.

usscouse repped this.
  6. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Spurs also won't play 8 men within 40 yards of their goalkeeper for the majority of the game.

7. dcc134

dcc134 Member+

Liverpool FC
    May 15, 2000
    Hummelstown, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Another reminder that Lallana is pretty useless against any team that has players with athleticism. That said, we needed those minutes out of him and will likely need another 60 from him at some point.

8. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I don't see how anyone can even suggest that. They guy occupies two opposition players constantly... ffs ....

bayern is god repped this.
  9. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Personally I'd be re-integrating Keita instead of Lallana when he shakes off this latest knock. (on th e+ side, like you said, we needed those lallana minutes - and for once he was fit to give them ....)

10. usscouse

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    People still call Keita's name. But so far he's hardly earned a sub spot.

burning247 repped this.
  11. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Reminder: City's win (at Swansea) was for the FA Cup, not the league. We're ahead of them right now because we've played a game more.

12. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's not true - he's had 2 really good runs in the team - 1) start of the season, 2) about 1 month ago....both times after he got injured/ill. It's been a choppy season for him.

13. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    he was also playing fairly well last time ....

14. usscouse

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    Screwed up with 3 points bit. I guess what I meant that it was a hardly a confidence booster. For either of us.

burning247 repped this.
  15. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's playing really well! Just can't quite finish multiple chances. Annoying.

16. usscouse

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    Hardly living up to the what 12 months of hype

Hey, I don't hate him. I'm just waiting for him to prove that he's a Liverpool player.

burning247 repped this.
  17. usscouse

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    For us and him. That face showed it all when he missed the top left 90 toward the end.

He put one in the keepers hands in the first half. Then the one over the top. He had that "What do I have to do" look about him.

EruditeHobo repped this.
  18. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #118 EruditeHobo, Mar 18, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2019
    The bold is true, but the reality is if the Salah of late last season were getting the chances that Salah of late this season is getting, the numerous 1 on 1s would result in more goals, more comfortable wins for LFC, and at least a couple (or more) points in the table. Mane picking up that slack isn't a reason for Salah to be missing multiple 1 v 1s with keepers.

And by the way in the league Salah is currently finishing at a rate of 16.3%, and last season he finished at a rate of 22.2%. And that's ignoring that he scored 3 pens this season and merely 1 last season... so it's really more like 13.4% vs 21.5%, by my calculations.

You are right that he was getting better chances last season, though. But to further my own point, his chances from open play in and around the penalty spot, last season those were good chances that often turned to goals, but this season there are a LOT of saves in there and very, very few goals. Misses/goals from what used to be Salah's money-zone are fewer this season, but what remains have largely turned into saves.

19. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    BTW Mane's xg90 is quite a bit lower than Salah's this season... but like last year's Salah, Mane is way outperforming his xg90 number... but with 0 scored pens to boost that number.

20. delaynomo

delaynomo Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    No we can't. Even if he's not scoring, he is still putting in the work which (together with his reputation) occupies defenders which creates more space for the others.

usscouse repped this.
  21. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The reason that we shouldn't worry is he's being a real menace and drawing tons of attention, as dcc said... lately he's still doing lots and lots of good work, just need a goal or two to go in and everything will be perfect.

Would also help if Bobby got his passing more together in that regard, as someone else suggested.

22. dcc134

dcc134 Member+

Liverpool FC
    May 15, 2000
    Hummelstown, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While not having the impact we all expected, Keita has done every bit as much this season as Lallana has in the past 2 years, if not more.

Wingtips1 repped this.
  23. delaynomo

delaynomo Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
  24. usscouse

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    That's not raving endorsement.

He's played as much as Lalana has in two years. :)

In M not so HO. Neither at the moment are Liverpool standard.

25. bayern is god

bayern is god Member+

May 26, 2007
    india
    Exactly.

People actually criticizing Mo for his "apparent" selfishness in front of goal,missing chances,etc etc etc...You lot must have really high levels of Delusion..From min 1' of every game until min 90', He's constantly running defenders ragged with his pace,movement & trickery and according to me is INVALUABLE to our style of play(as much as Bobby is)..His Vision and attacking nous has created spades of goal scoring opportunities for us which no one refuses to take time and time again...Its no coincidence that Mane is scoring a goal every game now cause Mo is constantly triple teamed leaving the forwards to benefit with the extra space..The Guy is Class and is NOT A FORWARD...He's a Winger FFS!!!!!!!!!!!...Take Mo out of our team and We'll be struggling to make Top 4...He's our Lone Talisman who has been so prolific,going through a slightly rough patch and How Fickle Fans can be to question his credibility in the Team:rolleyes::rolleyes:

He Recovers and secures the Golden Boot AGAIN...You heard it here First.

YNWA.