FtL Strikers Attendance

Discussion in 'Fort Lauderdale Strikers' started by Smoke & Mirrors, Apr 5, 2011.

1. drSoFlaFan

drSoFlaFan DEFEND THE FORT!

Feb 25, 2008
    Plantation, FL
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Attendance

It's all general admission. They probably just use the numbers/sections to keep track of the tickets a little easier.

If you're on the ends you can sit wherever you want.

2. Robert Lanza

Robert Lanza Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Boynton Beach, FL
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Smoke & Mirrors - hope they don't call you "S&M" for short ;) - this last paragraph literally brought a tear to my eye. It's me exactly! I was nine when I attended my first Strikers game in 1979. I remember my second game more vividly though - Strikers-Cosmos: sold-out crowd, beer flying through the stands when Neeskens (I think) scored the goal that beat us 4-3. As my mom and sister walked out drenched in Budweiser, my dad and I smiled and stayed until the final whistle. I've been to many games at Lockhart in between - Sun, A-league Strikers, Fusion, MFC - but today in my Ray Hudson throwback jersey, I'll have my 6-year-old son with me. Hoping too that the same magic will rub off on him - minus the flying beer, of course. Can't wait.

3. Gater

Gater Member

Apr 5, 2011
    Davie/Ft Lauderdale
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

This is what it is all about, and why the Strikers name and rebranding was so important. There are still many of us who have similar memories - I'll be there with my wife, my 13yr old daugher, and my 11yr old son...they are both around the age I was when I went to my first Strikers game. Something I've been looking forward to for some time!

4. Call me Ralph.

Call me Ralph. New Member

Aug 27, 2008
    New England
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

These sorts of issues wouldn't exist if they had actually shown up in any significant numbers when the team was playing in Miami. Sort of hard to do a boycott when you never supported the team (with a few honorable exceptions) in the first place.

A boycott by people who never supported the team isn't a boycott; but a boycott by a tiny handful of people who used to support the team isn't going to be noticed either. It is statistically insignificant compared to the new fans you are attracting by embracing the legacy of the Ft. Lauderdale Strikers.

I see the Ft. Lauderdale situation, historically, as being similar to San Jose: "less sexy" city nearby a more traditional major league city/cities turned out to be the better fit for pro soccer here in the USA in the modern era. Maybe someday Miami (or San Francisco or Oakland) might have a team in MLS, but I don't see it happening any time soon (and maybe not in our lifetimes).

Anyway, best of luck to you guys on your opening home game. Attendance-wise, that is! :)

5. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

6,402 announced on the live feed!

That is a much better number.

7. Antique

Antique Member

Nov 11, 2008
    the river of grass
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

If this is for Lockhart; it looked to be around that. Nearly full North Stands. Many in the West End zone Stands. A few in the South Stands. Packed parking lots. Very good size crowd. I hope we enjoyed the sight. Strikers lost 2-1. Not pretty to watch. Looked bad doing it. I'll be back Friday, but I wonder how many 1st timers will return?...:(

8. Smoke & Mirrors

Jul 18, 2010
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

I'm optimistic Antique. The one drawback to game 2 is going to be that it's on Friday rather than Saturday. That will keep some folks away, but I think the $5 GA tickets they were selling tonight, plus this refer a friend thing where sason ticket holders can get up to four free tickets for a friend will help keep the crowd at a good number.

The atmosphere was great! I didn't get a chance to get to the stadium very early, but the tailgating seemed to be in full force, just like I remember it all those years ago. Jerseys were all over the place (got mine too!) and I think the team did a great job of making at a fun night. If the only thing that was going to bring back certain fans was a win, then we'll lose some. But I think that won't play a big effect yet.

As for the game itself......ugh....is about as nice as I can put it. All night I kept asking myself, why on Earth are we stuck watching what looked like a slow, out of shape Wheeler?!? Where in the HELL was Abe Thompson?!? The first Edmonton goal was just an absolutely brilliant shot to the top right corner. No keeper would have stopped that, you just gotta tip your cap. But the second should not have happened. The Edmonton guy took the feet right out from the Strikers left back, right in front of the linesman, who did not make a call, and the other defenders kind of hesitated expecting the call, and then got burned.

9. Antique

Antique Member

Nov 11, 2008
    the river of grass
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

The Miami Herald's article on the game said Thompson picked up an injury on Thursday. I hope he's back on Friday because we don't seem to have any other scoring threat...:mad:

10. pb9000

pb9000 Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Lauderhill, FL
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Abe will be out for at least a month with an MCL injury. Strikers have a new speedy Columbian (I think he's Columbian) player coming in soon. Hopefully he can replace Abe in the short term.

11. longballer

longballer Member

Aug 10, 2005
    Club:
    Carolina Railhawks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Sorry to be a spelling stickler, but it's Colombian, nor Columbian. ;)

12. LuckyStriker

LuckyStriker Member+

Favorite club? a German one..........
    Apr 14, 2010
    in exile-Statute of Limitations yet to expire
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Everything was good.....except the game.:(

I'll use the term "disappointed" and leave it there- because I never saw Miami FC play. Is this the "effort" that folks who have come to games before expect from this bunch?

4-5-1 = defeatist-and not what you want to show folks you want to return.
    I read that #9 is hurt, and I'll accept that. I just think maybe you want to go into a campaign with more than 3 F on the roster..........

Edmonton just started up, is that right? Looked the more imposing and better coached group by far. Their #7 is a hell of a player, give him full marks on the night.

I'll be back Friday. Going right from work. Good to see the old jerseys running around a pitch again, but I hope I don't have to leave Lockhart as....."disappointed" as I was last night.

Kudos to everybody who showed and the rest of the experience-particulary the tailgating and traffic control. Lot to be said for in/out quickly when you're discouraged a bit.

13. drSoFlaFan

Feb 25, 2008
    Plantation, FL
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Edmonton did played an exhibition season last year, including games against Portsmouth and Colo Colo. But we still should have been able to handle them.

14. TheHun

TheHun Member

May 5, 2005

Congratulations to the Strikers fans for increasing their gate numbers. I hope it continues. Orlando did very well drawing just shy of 8,000 for their home opener.

It's good to see soccer trying to rebuild again in Florida. Let's hope its for the long haul.

15. drSoFlaFan

Feb 25, 2008
    Plantation, FL
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I agree. Orlando needs to get back to D2 with the big boys like they were in Austin. We could have a great 3 way rivalry going if they ever join NASL. I hate the way they snuck out of Austin, Batlimore Colts style, but you gotta give the fans props for showing up.

I hope these 3 teams are here to stay.

16. celeste4life

celeste4life Member

Dec 16, 2007
    United States
    Club:
    CA Peñarol
    Nat'l Team:
    Uruguay

Both stands look almost completely full, and the South stand had some people as well.

Also good to see was that people weren't leaving early. That means they actually care about the team.
    Beautiful women at the game will also help attendance, and there were many hot women in attendance yesterday.

I think we'll get a good crowd on Friday. Many people probably bought tickets at the game, and there will also be a good walkup crowd. I think the promotion of people going to school/work with their newly purchased jerseys on Monday will help. Also the facebook pictures.

I reffed this morning, and all the parents in every team were talking about the game. And I asked one coach if he knew about the Strikers, and he told me the whole team went and they're looking forward to going back.

I can't go on Friday but we enjoyed it so much that the rest of the family will be going.

Honestly, having pro soccer in South Florida rocks. It brought back so many memories of going to the Estadio Centenario to go watch Peñarol play when I was a little kid.

Let's hope we can make the atmosphere better and better every game.

17. bobbyfusion

bobbyfusion Member

Dec 26, 2002
    Boca Raton, FL

Dont be a stickler, because my spelling is even worse.

Summary of Game one

Pregame activities A+
    Crowd A+
    Enthusiam A+
    Atmosphere A+

By the way, as far as quality of play, lets give the guys some time and be a little more forgiving on this. This is not the Premier League, nor are the ticket prices. I suggest holding critisim on the level of play to a minimum

I hope everyone comes back on Friday. Its going to be about one month before the team is back in town again.

18. Smoke & Mirrors

Jul 18, 2010
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

Hope you and your son had a great time Robert! My son and I did, and it feels real good to know it was only the beginning! Here's hoping for another large crowd on Friday, and this time, we all go home happy Striker Likers.

19. Smoke & Mirrors

Jul 18, 2010
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

Damn......this is what I was afraid of. Since Paulo Jr. left, Abe has been the only guy on this team with any kind of consistent scoring. If we saw the best Wheeler has to offer last night, he is definitely not the answer. Coach Shore is going to have to come up with something fast!

20. Smoke & Mirrors

Jul 18, 2010
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

I agree on all your grades Bobby. The only commentary I will make on your request to keep down the criticsm of the play on the field is this - South Florida, more than a lot of other sports markets in this country, relies on a quality on-field product to get people coming back in the stands. I sincerely hope the Strikers are not as affected by this as say the Marlins, Panthers, and Heat have been in the past. But you can never discount the possibility, so yes, it does matter.

21. LuckyStriker

LuckyStriker Member+

Favorite club? a German one..........
    Apr 14, 2010
    in exile-Statute of Limitations yet to expire
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

....and Ft.Lauderdale ignores this at their own peril.

Any truth to the rumors of some F help coming from S.America?

22. pb9000

pb9000 Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Lauderhill, FL
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Yes, there is truth to a S.American young player coming soon. His paperwork is not quite finished yet. Coach Shore gave me this information. Just don't have a name yet. Just know is a very fast attacking player.

23. Antique

Antique Member

Nov 11, 2008
    the river of grass
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Expedite! Expedite! we need that young'un immediately. If not sooner...:D

24. speedcake

speedcake Member

Dec 2, 1999
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

You guys don't really believe that Ft. Lauderdale/Miami is unique in that a losing team loses fans, do you? I mean, if you want to claim the title of King Bandwagon Jumpers or El Primo Fairweather Fans that is fine by us! :D

Nice to finally see a crowd down there, though. Too bad game two is on a Friday, but the Rowdies will be rolling that way before long to help boost attendance so don't fret!

FCTB just found another close to 500 fans in attendance for our opener on Saturday, so over 4160 for us. About where I expected it to be and hopefully we see that improve as buzz grows. Although I'm expecting at least a 1k drop off from game one to game two, just to be safe and keep my expectation lower.

Good luck on Friday!

25. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

What? Traffic/Strikers/MFC are getting a new South American? Get RSL on the phone, I smell a new loan!

JK ;)

Great turn out for the first match. And RSL nation thanks you for Paulo Jr!