Ft Lauderdale Strikers down Ottawa Fury, 2-0

Discussion in 'Fort Lauderdale Strikers' started by G Enriquez, Apr 13, 2014.

1. G Enriquez

G Enriquez Member+

Apr 1, 2002
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. Smoke & Mirrors

Jul 18, 2010
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    It wasn't a solid effort by the Strikers, but they were definitely the better side on the night. Aside from a propensity to hack at our guys all game long, Ottawa weren't overly impressive. MF was the weak point for the Strikers in this game. Won't be surprised to see a slightly different look on the wings for them in Game 2. Would love for Hall to play his way into the right back spot so Coach can move Darnell up to MF on the right wing and let him just run at Carolina's defense all game long.

3. AmericanMag

AmericanMag Member

Mar 23, 2011
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Attendance: 3,105

This was a bit disappointing. Any theories as to why?

4. Smoke & Mirrors

Jul 18, 2010
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Yep. Unlike Tampa, San Antonio, Indy, and New York (the other home teams opening weekend) the Strikers are owned by people completely unwilling to put the resources in place to properly run a professional team. To say Striker fans are embarassed by the fact that our pitiful attendance was less than half of every other game this weekend would be a gross understatement. Traffic refuses to properly market this club and apparently doesn't have a proper sales team, or at least one that isn't large enough. Guesstimates on season tickets for this year I've heard is 600. Indy has what, 7,000? Pathetic as always from Traffic. The Strikers as an organization will not improve until someone besides Traffic owns them. And thanks to Beckham wanting to set up shop in the next county, interest in owning the Strikers is almost certainly at an all-time low and dropping.

Antique and Never Offside repped this.
  5. Never Offside

Never Offside Member

Apr 2, 2011
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly what Smoke said.
    I might have missed it, but I didn't hear or see one commercial on TV or the radio for the Strikers. I know Tim and Tom did online radio, but nothing on the terrestrial radio side. I think the fans in the league are catching on that Traffic USA is one of the weaker owners in the League in regards to The Strikers. Carolina seems to be able to be efficient with the budget they are getting from Traffic USA for some reason. Why? I'm not sure. I'd rather Traffic USA sell Fort Lauderdale and move their shop to Carolina. Not a big fan on how they conduct their business.
    To be at 3000 for an opening game at this point in the Strikers relaunch should tell you Traffic USA hasn't figured out this market yet.

Antique and Smoke & Mirrors repped this.
  6. MLSinSTL

MLSinSTL Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Mar 20, 2009
    Ohio - near a city
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think what makes this even more depressing is that when the club rebranded to become the Strikers, Traffic actually spent some money and did some things right. They had Tim Robbie running the show and making a lot of noise in the community. Then after that first year - it's like they thought the work was done and they stopped.

Never Offside repped this.
  7. Smoke & Mirrors

Jul 18, 2010
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    It's about money. In the first year of the rebrand Traffic did open the wallet a little more than ever before. The Strikers made it to the final and lost - to the team operating on the lowest budget in the league, the NASL-owned Stars. Since then they have slashed spending each year. The fact that they no longer own the Silverbacks, and they still cut spending yet again this year should tell you all you need to know about Traffic. They won't promote the team by marketing and advertising locally. They have no radio or tv deal. The don't even have more then a couple guys trying to sell tickets in the FO. Yet we're supposed to believe Traffic is committed to this team, and is even willing to spend $15 million on a stadium? :rolleyes: No chance. If they are so intent on not losing money, they need to be actively shopping the team at a reasonable price.

Antique repped this.
  8. AmericanMag

AmericanMag Member

Mar 23, 2011
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ridiculous. I did notice that there was no advertising for the game and looking at the parking lot before the match it was evident that it showed.

9. G Enriquez

G Enriquez Member+

Apr 1, 2002
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If the Strikers drew 3K fans without any advertising,I think that's not bad. My team,the Rowdies,drew 7K and the FO had the team on tv spots and a concert after the game.

10. AmericanMag

AmericanMag Member

Mar 23, 2011
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How were the Red Hot Chili Pipers?

11. G Enriquez

G Enriquez Member+

Apr 1, 2002
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Very good band. Unique.

12. Smoke & Mirrors

Jul 18, 2010
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    You statement is valid, but it just further shows why Striker fans are so frustrated. Given the proper resources and smart marketing, this team could very easily have a fanbase that averaged 7,000+. But Traffic continues to cut spending, marketing, and sales rather than grow them. Instead of getting the word out in a big way in the places they should be targeting they are doing stupid things like getting Miami printed on their jersey sleeves and removing the craft beers from the already pathetic concessions.

Never Offside repped this.