FSW Aussie Rules Schedule?

Discussion in 'Rugby & Aussie Rules' started by Sykotyk, Mar 11, 2004.

1. Sykotyk

Sykotyk Member

Jun 9, 2003
    Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The season is fast approaching, when will we find out if the AFL is going to be on FSW this year? I know last year there was speculation that they wouldn't show it. What about this year?

Sykotyk

2. westcoast929406

westcoast929406 New Member

Oct 10, 2003
    Perth Western Aust.
    Fox Sports USA

Fox Sports Canada and MHZ (Washington DC) now say they are waiting for Fox Sports USA decision.
    Basically same speculation as 2003. Lobbying has started to AFL and FSW USA again this year.

3. OldFanatic

OldFanatic Member

Jan 12, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. westcoast929406

westcoast929406 New Member

Oct 10, 2003
    Perth Western Aust.
    AFL internet site cover for 2004

The AFL has changed its policy on live Audio only coverage of the 2004 season.
    Audio only off the the AFL Website is FREE for 2004. If anybody wants to sit up that late.
    The Audio-Visual package has also been revised.
    Check the site www.afl.com.au

5. OldFanatic

OldFanatic Member

Jan 12, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: AFL internet site cover for 2004

That's great news in these days when everyone else is charging money for coverages that used to be free before.

6. Spartacus

Spartacus Member

May 20, 2001
    The NO SOCCER Zone
    FSW's home page is now adorned with a banner ad touting AFL every Thursday night. Their master schedule doesn't show anything for tonight, so I'm assuming that will begin with coverage after Round 1 is played.

Wish I knew what the Match of the Day would be so I know what match not to try to tune on internet audio...

7. BhoysFC1995

BhoysFC1995 New Member

Nov 30, 1999
    NYC
    interesting, actually great news..... but i just looked at the site and can't find anything on it. no banners, nothing

8. BhoysFC1995

BhoysFC1995 New Member

Nov 30, 1999
    NYC
    well, just checked AFANA.com and heres the good news!!!!!

The AFL has informed AFANA that a last minute deal has been reached to restore coverage of Aussie rules in the US and Canada. Coverage will be very similar to last season on FOX Sports World, FOX Sports World Canada, and MHz Network (Wash DC area only).

In addition, it is reported but not yet confirmed that the Grand Final (and only the GF) will be live on ESPN. Thanks to all the fans who supported our campaign to save TV coverage. This web page will have full schedules for the US, plus Canada and Washington DC below within a day or two as soon as they are available to us and verified.

9. OldFanatic

OldFanatic Member

Jan 12, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unbelievable. That would be a major coup! Not since the mid-late 80's has any Australian Football been on ESPN. What is Disney thinking? Have they run out of bowling/cheerleading/spelling bees/World's strongest man telecasts?

10. Spartacus

Spartacus Member

May 20, 2001
    The NO SOCCER Zone
    VFL/AFL was one of the establishing sports in the early history of ESPN. I even have some old video when they actually hosted in-studio previews of the Grand Final (though personally, I prefer the live pre-game pageantry of the handing down of the guernseys and all the entertainment).

I wonder if this has something to do with ESPN's 25th anniversary celebration...kind of going "back to the future"?

And your're right, Chandu, they can only re-run "World's Strongest Man" so many times...

11. OldFanatic

OldFanatic Member

Jan 12, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But I was just hoping they would have some lumberjack and pool programs I haven't had a chance to record into Tivo yet. :rolleyes:

It sounded like Foster's won't be sponsoring this year's telecasts (source: Oliver Tse). Any idea who it will be? Is it Toyota? I noticed Toyota's heavy presence is the sponsorship deal this year. Carlton is gone (the sponsor, not the Blues team. BTW, I always found the identical name for a sponsor and a club to be a conflict of interest in the past). Does Toyota's sponsorship mean the Crows automatically get a bigger share of the telecasts? How does it affect clubs that are sponsored by competitors (Ford)?

12. Spartacus

Spartacus Member

May 20, 2001
    The NO SOCCER Zone
    FSW has posted the broadcast schedule for next week.

http://www.foxsportsla.com/world/pdf/fsw14.pdf

Appears to be the same schedule as last season (2 hour highlights show Thursday evenings at 8PT, 1 hour highlights show Friday noon).

Looks like Richmond/Collingwood will be Match of the Day (of course, the one result I already know...)

13. OldFanatic

OldFanatic Member

Jan 12, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Reminder, the week 1 show Thursday night.

14. BhoysFC1995

BhoysFC1995 New Member

Nov 30, 1999
    NYC
    hey guy, trust me, there's no way i'd forget this and the highlight show on friday at 3pm est

:)

15. Spartacus

Spartacus Member

May 20, 2001
    The NO SOCCER Zone
    FSW has changed the schedule for the 1-hour highlights show this week.

The Match of the Day (Melbourne/Richmond) will air at its usual time Thursday night (11pm EDT/8pm PDT).

The highlights show will air in the wee smalls of Friday morning (4am EDT/1am PDT).

Set your VCR's accordingly.

16. BhoysFC1995

BhoysFC1995 New Member

Nov 30, 1999
    NYC
    just a note, if you watch the game, they show highlights league wide after the match and also a top 10 plays of the week- some good stuff.

17. Spartacus

Spartacus Member

May 20, 2001
    The NO SOCCER Zone
    My strategy is usually to watch Match of the Day...then stop (before the highlights)...then watch the 1-hour show because the highlights and Top 10's are the same, but they add News of the Round on the 1 hour show (features tribunal results, injury and training reports, etc...).

18. BhoysFC1995

BhoysFC1995 New Member

Nov 30, 1999
    NYC
    you see, i am the opposite. i try to make sure i see the highlights after the game, b/c i doubt i'd be able to watch the show the next day.

looks like we both win :)

19. Spartacus

Spartacus Member

May 20, 2001
    The NO SOCCER Zone
    FSW has posted next week's schedule. Looks like a permanent change for the 1-hour highlights show...4am EDT, 1am PDT.

Match of the Day next week is Kangaroos v. Carlton.