FSV Mainz [R]

Discussion in 'Germany: Clubs' started by holgers_heroes, Dec 9, 2003.

1. todd11

todd11 Member

Oct 23, 2002
    Berlin, Germany--
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, FSV Mainz 05 (not FC Mainz--sorry to be pedantic), move into our new stadium at the start of next season. As much as I can't wait to see the new stadium, it's really going to break up my game day routines and habits! More info on the stadium can be found at www.cofacearena.de.

2. Aztattooedsean777

Aztattooedsean777 Tattooed Football Fanatic

Liverpool FC
    Netherlands
    Feb 15, 2009
    Chandler, Arizona
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands

I think the 05 on my computer keyboard wasn't working that day. :p

Why is it going to break up your routine?

3. footyfan1

footyfan1 BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 20, 2003
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Or to be more specific, 1. FSV Mainz 05. ;)

4. todd11

todd11 Member

Oct 23, 2002
    Berlin, Germany--
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Well, I live across the river and it's currently an 11 min. s-bahn ride to meet up with friends at the main train station... grab some beers for the walk at a kiosk in the station, walk up the hill, maybe have a smoke on the bench near small soccer field by the youth center and into the stadium in time to get a spot near the top of R block (picking up a feuerwurst and a bier at the stand). After the match, walk back into the Altstadt for an aftergame Doener, and head to the Hafeneck to down a few (or many) beers. Maybe walk by the Rhine to some more bars. Man... the winter break needs to end! I'm getting anxious!

It's not that far to the new stadium, but once you get into an enjoyable routine, prolly gotta take the bus n' stuff now for instance, you don't wanna change it.

It wasn't so much that you left off the 05... but it's FSV not FC. :) And yes... 1.FSV at that... but in the stadium we do several songs with FSV in them.

5. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

I would not mind having that routine in my life. Since I live in the US, my routine is - wakeup, find a stream online....

6. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Other than the smoking, this is my dream life.

;)

7. Aztattooedsean777

Liverpool FC
    Netherlands
    Feb 15, 2009
    Chandler, Arizona
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands

How far from the current stadium is the new stadium location in respect to the main part of the city? Is it further out of town or more in town? You said bus. No S-bahn line to take you that extra step?

8. Aztattooedsean777

Liverpool FC
    Netherlands
    Feb 15, 2009
    Chandler, Arizona
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands

and although I am a vegetarian these days, I remember eating so many doeners during my 3 years stationed in Germany.:) <---they need a smiley that drools. :p

9. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    [​IMG]

10. Aztattooedsean777

Liverpool FC
    Netherlands
    Feb 15, 2009
    Chandler, Arizona
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands

ha ha, thanks. :p

11. cromagnum

cromagnum Member+

Aug 13, 2007
    Thought Petar Sliskovic had a nice 15 minute debut today..Had 2 good chances to score but seemed like he rushed his shots..Showed some nice skill on the ball as well..

12. Don Heiteli

Don Heiteli New Member

Sep 22, 2010
    Koblenz, Germany
    Club:
    FSV Mainz 05
    Nat'l Team:
    Luxembourg
    Szalai will miss the next weeks/months :(
    Maybe Sliskovic will be a starter soon, he is very gifted.
    Sad that he isn't german, the german U21 needs exactly this kind of striker...

13. cromagnum

cromagnum Member+

Aug 13, 2007
    Common man you guys have enough young talent..:p Sliskovic is actually a bosnian croat so im glad he decided to play for croatia..
    Sliskovic looks really good on the ball..I read that he was the leading goal scorer for the under 19 Mainz club..Hopefully he can become a starter soon for you guys..

14. Don Heiteli

Don Heiteli New Member

Sep 22, 2010
    Koblenz, Germany
    Club:
    FSV Mainz 05
    Nat'l Team:
    Luxembourg
    Yes, he scored 17 goals for the U19 last season and part of the U19-championship winning team 2009. This season he is very succesful in our U23-team, he scored 12 goals and is current leading goal scorer in Regionnaliga West (4th league)

15. todd11

todd11 Member

Oct 23, 2002
    Berlin, Germany--
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    JAAAAAAAAAAAAAA! Subotic should have got his @ss up... he played it too 'Italian' in the last minute and for once a faker was punished. (well he wasn't faking, but he made too much of it, and even ran back on the field 2 seconds later... his fault) What a game!

16. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Well done...deserved by Mainz - you guys played the full 90 minutes and wanted it more. We lost our game when Sahin missed the PK. After that, we were on another planet thinking about other things.

17. todd11

todd11 Member

Oct 23, 2002
    Berlin, Germany--
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You guys were all over us the first 20 min. and I feared we'd be over-run a bit. Why does Sahin keep missing penalties? Our pressing and energy really picked up and we really started to combine... the last 30 min, I felt we could've won with a little more precision in the box. I'm glad Kloppo calmed down in the aftermath after blowing his top... but then we in Mainz know how emotional he gets. :)

18. "Eisenfuß" Eilts

Jul 1, 2005
    In the sun ;)
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Mains signs Zoltan Stieber from Alemania Aachen for this summer. Clever transfer policy, you guys are well connected to 2. BL players playing a good season. Transfer fee, about 1.5 million €.

19. todd11

todd11 Member

Oct 23, 2002
    Berlin, Germany--
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is a reason one of my fears is that Hamburg or some other big but mismanaged club will see how clever Heidel is and hire him away! He's signed 5 really good young 2.BL players for next year. Takes the sting out of losing Schuerle and Holtby.

20. Kampfschwein

Kampfschwein Member

Jan 3, 2011
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
  21. Footy Magoo

Footy Magoo Audaces fortuna iuvat

Mar 23, 2009
    ♫ Flugelville
    Every time I saw Mainz 05 this year, I found myself cheering for them. They were so entertaining to watch. Even though they lose Schürrle and Holtbe, it appears they have been keeping ahead of the curve by signing potential talented replacements. Their top requirement must be to hang on to Tuchel and Heidel at all costs to continue their rise.

22. Borussia

Borussia Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    Fürth near Nuremberg
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Another impressive season under that young coach Thomas Tuchel, which even (sensationally) ended with the EuroLeague quali. A big KUDOS!

After signing the 3rd Greuther Fürth & also 3rd BMG player (both my teams) for next season, I bet they'll be playing for the ChampionsLeague soon. ;)

Just kidding, the losses of Holtby & Schürrle won't be easy to compensate.

23. Footy Magoo

Footy Magoo Audaces fortuna iuvat

Mar 23, 2009
    ♫ Flugelville
    They will get Adam Szalai back from injury which will help.

24. footyfan1

footyfan1 BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 20, 2003
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Won't help that much.

Szalai would have done nothing without Holtby and Schürrle opening things up for him.

25. Lamprey

Lamprey Member

Jul 2, 2010
    Las Vegas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What is the expectation for Tuchel. I'm sure he's staying next year, but after that? I have no insight into it, yet I would wager he will be moving somewhere larger after next year or the year after.

Anyways, congrats Mainz on a great season and a new stadium. Yes, the player losses are brutal, but I know you've already made several very smart new signings for the next season. And with Tuchel to guide the ship for another year, I'm sure it'll be a good one again.