Andrija Novakovich at Calcio Lecco 1912 (Serie B)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by bshredder, Apr 4, 2014.

1. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Picks up an impressive assist:

Tom Collingsworth, wixson7 and Gacm32 repped this.
  2. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looks like he is taking credit for assists on both goals:

Reading U23:Moore, Sheppard, Griffin, McIntyre, Jules, Bennett (East 71), Rinomhota, Frost, Barrett (Vancooten 65), Novakovich, Cardwell (Smith 82).
    Unused subs: Southwood, Andresson, Smith.
    Goals: Frost (52), Smith (87).
    http://www.readingfc.co.uk/news/art...ier-league-2-3317005.aspx#UcfWQuDG8FUeSIYb.99

Tom Collingsworth and Gacm32 repped this.
  3. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The assist:

4. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    It's ridiculous that this guy can't get some minutes in a CL club.

Gacm32 repped this.
  5. jcsd

jcsd Member+

Jan 27, 2006
    At the moment Reading hardly have a wealth of great strikers, so it'd be great if Novakovich could get himself to the level where he's ready to contribute to the 1st team, but he's only 20 so it's not surprising he's with the U-21s.

6. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Reading are in the Champions' League?? Interesting pipe you've got there . . . .

felloveranddidanadu repped this.
  7. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Little known fact, the top four in the Prem qualify, and the 17th placed club in the Championship.
    The situation at Reading right now, who are actually quite a bit better this season, is that they have a striker crisis, and I haven't heard Stam mention Novakovich once as a solution or a stop gap or depth, even. I also haven't heard any clamoring from the fans. He's playing well for the Us. Reading aren't a huge club, so Stam is seeing him in training. The last time he was discussed as a first team option was in the summer, as a maybe if Kermogant is injured, and he is, and he isn't right now.

wixson7 repped this.
  8. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Obviously I meant Championship. I guess I need an editor.

neems repped this.
  9. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Started for the U23s in a Premier League Cup match:

Full-time: Birmingham City U23 1-3 Reading U23

Birmingham City U23 starting XI: Weaver, Dacres-Cogley, Caddis, Cleary, Martin, Cooper, Maxwell, Lubala, O’Keeffe, McDonald, Hale.

Reading U23 starting XI: Moore, Sheppard, Griffin, Jules, McIntyre, Bennett, Rinomhota, Frost, Barrett, Novakovich, Samuel.

http://www.readingfc.co.uk/news/art...am-city-reading-autotech-stadium-3341085.aspx

10. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Starts in an EFL Trophy match:
    [​IMG]

Pl@ymaker, Gacm32 and ChuckMe92 repped this.
  11. hokeydokey

hokeydokey Member

Oct 21, 2015
  12. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Reading U23s won on PKs after a 2-2 draw.

Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  13. Gacm32

Gacm32 Member+

Chelsea
    Switzerland
    Nov 28, 2010
    Geneva
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Why can't this kid get minutes with the first team? He seems dominant on the reserve level, and Reading could afford to give him some sub minutes up top.

14. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Has he been that good? i review this thread from time to time, and often it appears he hasn't been a surefire starter for the youth team.

15. Gacm32

Gacm32 Member+

Chelsea
    Switzerland
    Nov 28, 2010
    Geneva
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    The last few seasons, he's dominated for them. This year, he started a little slow, but he's picked up 2 or 3 goals and 2 assists in the last 3 games. He's a very good player, and finally rounding back into form.

16. nycfc919

nycfc919 Member+

Aug 17, 2015
    Can you post his goal/assist tallies for the last few seasons and total games?

17. jcsd

jcsd Member+

Jan 27, 2006
    I thyink calling him dominant on the reserve level is an overstatement: 2 goals and 2 assists in 5 games this season mostly as a winger is decent and better than last season where he was often a sub.

However dominance at U-23 level is not in itself something that is going to guarantee time at Championship level. For example Rowan Liburd was the 2nd highest scorer in the PL2 last season and Novakovich was often playing 2nd fiddle to Liburd, but Liburd was sold to Stevenage at the end of last season,

18. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think that's an indictment of the English developmental system more than anything. If you succeed with the 2nd team, you should in turn get a chance with the 1st team, otherwise what's the point of your youth teams? A cache in case of disaster?

19. Gacm32

Gacm32 Member+

Chelsea
    Switzerland
    Nov 28, 2010
    Geneva
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    You're right, I made a mistake with confusing his dominance on the U-18 level with the reserves in 2014. My bad.

Gorky repped this.
  20. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Pretty much.

You hope to find that future star and you work like hell to turn that star 13 year-old into a starter for the First XI, but most kids get cut at 18 and about half get cut every year until they turn 22, either because they don't have the ability, don't have the right attitude, or discover other priorities. Nobody relies on their youth teams to supply future players. it's nice if it happens, but you'd be crazy to rely on it

21. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    A former EPL academy coach once told me he expected about 1 in 100 academy players to play for the first team. This was a conversational point -- we weren't looking at spreadsheets -- and this was an elite club. But still, it's telling that some of the guys who were in that club's academy around the time of the conversation were completely out of the pro game by their early 20s.

Gacm32 repped this.
  22. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sounds like to me they much better youth coaches. No reason England can't turn around their development like Germany did. In fact we'd all be very critical of any MLS team's development if that was their return on investment.

23. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The reasons it's much more difficult for them are the massive monetary deterrence against relegation and the history + romanticism of lower league sides who they don't want conceding their spots for the b-teams of major clubs or even playing against them. Gotta see Bristol Rovers vs. Coventry, not Bristol vs. Chelsea B, let alone Chelsea B vs. Man City B. During the suggested realignment when it was proposed Rangers and Celtic come in, the catch was they'd have to start at the bottom in the 5th division. All these proud clubs with history and clout but were now in the lower divisions weren't going to let Rangers or Celtic start in their division, let alone take their spots, even if it may be the best thing for English Football overall. I think this is a big impediment German, Spanish, and Portugese football didn't have nearly as much when reforming their systems to benefit the bigger clubs/higher levels. So this way a much higher percentage of youth players fall through the cracks.

24. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Also, all Bundesliga clubs are majority owned by Germans. In theory, at least, they care about Germany.

The Premier League is now in the position where many (a majority?) of its clubs aren't owned by Englishman. Do we think Stan Kroenke cares at all about the English national team or the development of English players?

25. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ...But the opposition was from English fans? They didn't want the restructured league. The German fans could've made the same decision. I don't see where the ownership factors into a fan decision. Especially one where the resistance is from so many lower-league clubs (which I would imagine have more English ownership teams).