From Colombia With Love - The James Rodriguez Welcome Thread!

Discussion in 'Real Madrid' started by babai_here, Jul 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zidane05

Zidane05 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 18, 2005
    Toronto
    And we played Casemiro as a single pivot vs. Valencia and look at the result. So if Casemiro had played vs. Las Palmas, would we have won?

2. Akramzizou

Akramzizou Member+

Feb 13, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Honestly though, I felt Casemiro wouldve been very useful against Las Palmas, who made use of all the space between the lines in creating dangerous changes. In some points in the game you can see FOUR players behind Kroos and ahead of our back four.

Another flaw you notice in our team is we almost never win the ball in any other but our final third. If the opponent has the ball, it seems the only way we recover it is either after they shoot/cross into our area or when Casemiro/Ramos charge into midfield. I can only remember the Napoli and the Sevilla game at the Bernabeu where we pressed upfront perfectly.

Shay Z, Anon. and natenate101 repped this.
  3. Zidane05

Zidane05 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 18, 2005
    Toronto
    They barely had any chances prior to the red. They had more possession, but if you were watching the match without knowing the possession stats, you wouldn't have known it. The red changed everything, Zidane failed to adjust, and the rest is history.

4. hala_madrid722

hala_madrid722 Member+

Jan 10, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    The red and Ramos countless mistakes the entire game.

A team with players like Kevin Prince & Jese is a dangerous team regardless, we should have been more careful with their counter-attacks. That's 2 games ago at this point, hopefully zidane learned a lesson.

5. Digital

Digital Member+

Dec 10, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Neither has Gareth and, all hail the Bale and all that, no complaints there as far as I can see, in James's first season he did equally as well though in terms of assists and goals, I agree I wish he was faster, but technically he is quite good IMO , i wish he was a combination of those two things, we have really quick players not so good technically and very technical players who are not so quick IMO, the guy that I think combines the two best is actually Asensio, but he needs time.
    Agreed, all the better games we played this season including against the other team from Madrid at their ground we pressed well upfront and won the ball earlier

J-Mezzy repped this.
  6. Akramzizou

Akramzizou Member+

Feb 13, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    James (and Isco) has his flaws, but we seriously need more creativity in midfield. Kroos is perfect for distributing the ball and shifting the focus of attacks, and Modric is perfect for vertical penetration and controlling tempo, but a James/Isco are really good at making deep runs into the box and making the risky through pass to create chances. I dont know if we should put James (or Isco) as part of our front three or mid three, or if we should switch our formation to accomodate him (or Isco lol), but I feel the CKM - BBC is too predictable and one-dimensional and our attacking play is much better with James(or Isco).

7. Umar

Umar Member+

Sep 13, 2005
    One step ahead
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Palestine
    Bale has scored seven right foot goals in his time at Madrid, James has scored three (played one season less though).

Bale will also cross happily with his right, he has landed right foot crosses on Benzema's head a few times.

Neither are anywhere near Ronaldo level off their weaker foot, but James is faaaar less comfortable using his.

I would keep James and hope that we change system when Ronaldo's form declines, but that depends on him being happy to wait (which so far he appears to be).

He is a top player but he needs to play behind a striker and close to the goal to be most effective. He doesn't have the discipline to do a central midfielders job, and I don't see him as a winger (although I can see him being useful next to a pacy striker and another pacy winger in a 433, with him crossing and playmaking off a flank).

AriGold, Doni, Anon. and 4 others repped this.
  8. Akramzizou

Akramzizou Member+

Feb 13, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    James also exclusively dribbles with his left, I think that limits him way more than not crossing/shooting/passing with weak foot. Guti was exclusively left-footed but he controlled the ball with either feet and he was aight.

9. natenate101

natenate101 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 16, 2006
    California, US
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Strong post. Agree on all points.

10. ABB94

ABB94 Member+

Feb 18, 2015
    England, UK
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Just the way James manoeuvres his body is enough to tell you how 1 footed he is.

11. MerlinRM

MerlinRM Member+

May 5, 2014
    NorthEast USA
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    AS which has been a traditional Mendes puppet paper keeps strongly insinuating James is very happy and wants to stay at the club. Even renew if/when Isco leaves.

12. Hendrix22

Hendrix22 Member+

Feb 28, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    James and Isco can be the axis this team is built on, offensively. Resigning both of them would be my top priority.

Deep Pal repped this.
  13. Umar

Umar Member+

Sep 13, 2005
    One step ahead
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Palestine
    For me they are too similar. Carlo Ancelotti could make them work together as he uses two playmakers, but most other systems use one or no playmakers.

It's a tough situation but it's one of those good problems. Our midfield has too many options and I like it that way.

14. robnycus

robnycus Member+

Jun 28, 2010
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    I don't think that was Carlo's system. They played together a lot in that season because both Bale and Modric were injured

15. Aimar 21

Aimar 21 Member+

Jan 27, 2011
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Personally I don't like it that much if the options can't be used in the most efficient way. I know there is no ideal bench but it's clear we play with a system that doesn't suit Isco or James (although Isco is a better fit), and when they replace one of the starting midfielders the front 3 aren't flexible enough to adjust the system and get the better out of them or for the team overall, so you can add another excellent AM (Oezil?) on the bench and that will still be a problem that isn't as good as it looks.

BBC need to be dismantled in the summer, and we probably don't even have to look outside the club to make the necessary changes (well maybe just for the backup roles).

16. Anthony Lim

Anthony Lim Member

Oct 9, 2014
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Singapore
  17. robnycus

robnycus Member+

Jun 28, 2010
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    This rumor may be true but will he displace Muller who is also a very young guy?
    Carlo has been playing 4231 with Muller filling that behind the striker role that James is good at.

18. Doni

Doni Member+

Dec 4, 2010
    London
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    It's got to be this summer or never surely, Ronaldo needs to be moved centrally and Benzema has no place at a club like Madrid any longer. I have to commend James' attitude tbh, in today's game you half expect a player of his immense talent to throw his toys out of the pram and go to the press to force a move.

Deep Pal repped this.
  19. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    As much as Carlo might want this and James' father has been talking about this,i don't really see a Bayern player in James.
    My recent memory is that Bayern kind of act slow on these kind of players. They weren't making huge jumps to sign De Bruyne, or even going back a long time to sign Diego when he was arguably the best Bundesliga player at Bremen.

20. MerlinRM

MerlinRM Member+

May 5, 2014
    NorthEast USA
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Hasn't Muller been on the bench more often than not this season? At least thats what I've seen when I click on a Bayern match.

21. .halamadrid2.

.halamadrid2. Member+

Nov 5, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Even if he hasn't the only thing he has over James is his German nationality and being from the academy. It's an insult to even think Muller can compete with him

22. HZinho

HZinho Member+

Apr 2, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    What do you mean? Insult?

I like James A LOT and think he's a massively talented player, but Muller has been playing on a (very) high level (club and country) for years now. Don't let the fact that Muller looks and plays like a farmer (and German for that matter..) cloud your judgment on his level.

I don't know, not sure if James is a Bayern type of player. Doesn't really fit in, but we'll see what happens in the summer.

Umar repped this.
  23. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Müller is FC Bayern personified. Not the FC Hollywood Bayern that Neuer and Boateng represent, the real FC Bayern "München". He belongs there. For me Bayern would be dumb to displace him.

ahnaf and Sarcasm Bot repped this.
  24. .halamadrid2.

.halamadrid2. Member+

Nov 5, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    On a footballing level Muller is the German equivalent of Raul Garcia. He can do the cheerleading from the bench if that's what they need. As an AM there are few better than James in today's game

25. robnycus

robnycus Member+

Jun 28, 2010
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Not really. He's been a starter for Carlo in most games lately playing as mediapunta.
    He has 10 assists, leading the league.