From a Saint to a Don: Cody Cropper at MK Dons

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Dec 29, 2008.

1. Sergei_Shtaniuk

Sergei_Shtaniuk Member+

Dec 4, 2012
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Plays reguarly for their under-21s. Southampton are a team who prefer to keep their youngsters in the academy, due to the higher standard of coaching they recieve there. Seems to work well, if a youngster impresses, then they usually earn a first team place, such as Harrison Reed and Sam Gallagher this season

Winoman and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  2. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I'd agree if Cropper wasn't a GK. There are going to be no 20 minute run outs in the FA Cup or the last game of the season in the BPL. Only one GK plays each game, and teams don't usually use a rotation of more than two GK's for all their games. If he's going to be the 4th GK at the club, he's not going to see any playing time with the first team unless there are a few injuries.

Do you think Davis will retire at the end of the season? If they don't bring in another GK, it looks like Cropper would become the 3rd GK if Davis retired.

Martin Fischer repped this.
  3. Chance

Chance Member+

Minnesota United FC
    United States
    Apr 5, 2012
    Minneapolis, Minnesota
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Apparently Cropper is at the pre-WC camp while they wait for Guzan & Howard to show up. Evidently San Jose's newspaper doesn't know who he is and think him and Guzan are the same person.

[​IMG]

4. Gamecock14

Gamecock14 Member+

May 27, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Maybe it is the light, but he seems to be ........... balding.

5. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Using too many parentheses
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    Oh yes, his hairline has been receding since he was like 17.

Glad he's in camp though! That must be a nice boost to his confidence, along with making the Soton bench this year a little bit.

6. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    are there no standards in journalism anymore? fact checking, is that just a word when it comes to covering soccer?

7. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    SKY Sports News reports that Cody is to be offered a new contract. No other details.

8. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    http://www1.skysports.com/football/...lder-guly-do-prado-one-of-three-to-leave-club

Southampton have offered contracts to five emerging young players and released three others as the club complete their end-of-season retained list.

Brazilian midfielder Guly do Prado, who scored 23 goals in 118 Saints appearances in a four-season spell, will leave the club, along with Jonathan Forte and Lee Barnard.

Cody Cropper, Lloyd Isgrove, Sam McQueen, Omar Rowe and Jake Sinclair have been offered new contracts having been involved with the first team this season.

Brian's article today about Cody..............

http://americansoccernow.com/articles/cody-cropper-21-gets-to-train-with-the-big-boys

Cropper is confident that his debut is coming, and that this club provides the right platform for his development.
    “Being with this coaching staff, with manager Mauricio Pochettino and goalkeeping coach Toni Jiménez, I think the philosophy they bring has helped me out a lot in developing into more of a goalkeeper that can use his feet and play out into the system they play," Cropper said. "It brings youth into the first team and the way they play has them competing against some of the best teams in the world. Being involved in that is incredible.”

Testudo and Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  9. ebbro

ebbro Member+

Jun 10, 2005
    That's great news!!

ArsenalMetro repped this.
  10. KickballWizard

Jun 11, 2013

Were there others there that weren't in the final 30?

11. Germerica

Germerica Member+

May 2, 2012
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Cropper talks about the new deal

12. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    So is he still on reserve/academy type wages? And can he challenge for the no.2 spot?

13. The Foo Fighter

The Foo Fighter Member+

Mar 15, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The way Soto is being raided right now I wouldn't be surprised if he gets considerable minutes at GK this year. He has 2 callups to the nats afterall

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  14. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought all the keepers are still on the squad?

15. The Foo Fighter

The Foo Fighter Member+

Mar 15, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I mean they are for now as far as I can tell, but we will see if that remains to be. Not to mention with a new coach he may find him self further up the pecking order, because honestly their keepers aren't that great.

16. Sergei_Shtaniuk

Sergei_Shtaniuk Member+

Dec 4, 2012
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Boruc isnt off. Saints are being linked with other keepers to challenge Boruc though. Possibly Mannone or David Marshall.

17. The Foo Fighter

The Foo Fighter Member+

Mar 15, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just dont see Mannone leaving Sunderland. Just my own opinion. I would be surprised if Marshall isn't added as depth to one of the bigger squads, as he is absolute quality.

18. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah I haven't been impressed with them the last two seasons.

19. Sergei_Shtaniuk

Sergei_Shtaniuk Member+

Dec 4, 2012
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    They've signed Pantilimon, so its possible. Rumours hes off to Italy.

Marshall is decent, but I dont think he'd be very good in a side with a better defence, where he has less to do. Good backup for a team like Southampton.

The way this summer is going, Cropper will follow the rest of Southampton's team to Anfield

20. Sergei_Shtaniuk

Sergei_Shtaniuk Member+

Dec 4, 2012
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    [​IMG]

Gorky repped this.
  21. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Using too many parentheses
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    The best part is Crouch turning around to bitch about the ball not being played to him, not seeing that it goes in.

soccersubjectively repped this.
  22. Sergei_Shtaniuk

Sergei_Shtaniuk Member+

Dec 4, 2012
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Ha, I've never noticed that. Looks like hes gesturing to either calm down or keep it lower because of the fierce wind. Such a bizarre goal, I think people were too surprised to celebrate. The ball actually picks up speed after it bounces in front of Boruc

23. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Southampton is making serious Bank this summer. Question I wonder is will they be updating the squad with quality replacements or just pocketing all those transfer $$$?

24. Chance

Chance Member+

Minnesota United FC
    United States
    Apr 5, 2012
    Minneapolis, Minnesota
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I actually got the impression that Boruc has a solid season from Southampton supporters. He had two shocking moments, but besides that he was quite good. Obviously getting scored on by Begovic was embarrassing, but he also decided he was going to try and be Ronaldinho against Arsenal and got dispossessed by Giroud and scored on.

Davis is a Southampton legend, but his days as a starter are over. He'll settle into his role as a veteran backup who can play in a pinch and do admirably.

Gazzaniga is the one who'll be competing with Cropper for keeper of the future, but he's had some shocking games and honestly doesn't look like he's ready for primetime. In fact, Southampton only won 1 of the 8 games he started. That being said, it's hard to know if Cropper is ready at this point.

25. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Could they loan him out to a Championship or League 1 side or better to keep him with the reserves and riding the bench?