Friendly: Mexico vs Bosnia 1/31/2018

Discussion in 'Mexico National Team' started by Miguel Myers, Nov 17, 2017.

1. Miguel Myers

Miguel Myers Member+

Dec 3, 2011
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    And he shuffled players left and right in back to back group stages

Im going to go with his history of fk ups and say he hasn't learned anything. He may think he knows what he's doing, it doesn't mean it works.

Philip J. Fry and iveman27 repped this.
  2. Rafael Hernandez

Rafael Hernandez Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 6, 2002
    #402 Rafael Hernandez, Feb 1, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2018
    Our bench? Your nuts if you think that more than 7 of those players go to the NT. And of those, they were the best players on the pitch (Araujo, Jonathan, Gallardo). If anything he screwed up in not using the friendly for more team building but that went off the wayside when he left Corona and Oribe at home.

EDIT: One of them (and a big mistake Osorio made today) didn't even play (Edson).

3. Rafael Hernandez

Rafael Hernandez Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 6, 2002
    Like I said, you may not agree with it but to say he doesn't know what he's doing is BS. Just as I don't agree with him switching his lineup against New Zealand but if you think those rotaciones in 2016 and 2017 caused the end results against Chile and Germany, then I think you're just as wrong.

4. Baysic

Baysic Member+

Jun 11, 2009
    The Bay Area, CA
    Club:
    Club América
    Bro he coulda meant anyone wtf lol

Colima24 and LGRod repped this.
  5. ...In my defense

Feb 11, 2006
    Maybe I watched a different game but given the circumstances, I liked what I saw collectively. There were also some individual performances that stood out.

Cota was very steady and dealt with the little the Bosnians threw his way in an assured manner.

Alanis was clearly lacking rhythm and if we're honest, unless he's playing regularly for his club, he is not NT material. I understand that Osorio appreciates some of his technical qualities but he's up to snuff.

Ayala had a decent game. He was the next coming of Rafa Marquez a decade ago and he has a strong technical foundation and very decent IQ but his anticipation skills are lacking and he can be easily turned. This is a player that could've grown much more if he had challenged himself in Europe when he was younger. One thing is for sure though, no matter how well he plays, he's due for a brain fart or two every game although last night he was steady. Didn't hurt his chances of going to Russia.

Gallardo had a quiet game but he has grown into the role Osorio is asking of him with the National Team. He's not a natural defender but his commitment to marking and winning balls in the defensive third has increased. Not a bad game from him.

Rodriguez was the weak link in the first 20 minutes when Mexico looked to overrun the Bosnians but eventually he settled, even functioning as some sort of hybrid libero and taking space in the attacking third during the second half. I don't think he goes to Russia but he's a decent alternative for after the World Cup.

Molina, who has been criticized endlessly around here, was one of the best players in the first half along with Carlos Vela. He won a lot of duels and shuttled the ball into the attack quickly and efficiently. He might just earn himself another callup in March if he begins playing a bit more regularly.

Elias Hernandez, who was one of Mexico's best players during the last Gold Cup was nowhere to be found last night. It's true that playing him as an interior did him no favors but when he found himself towards the touchline, he made a few plays. Either way, he's not going to displace the guys ahead of him.

Orbelin Pineda was electric in the first 20 minutes and did so playing as a wide forward which was a nice surprise and only confirms that the kid can play multiple roles. Once he pinched inside the Bosnians tightened things up and there was very little room to operate for him but he remains a very interesting prospect and someone to watch after the World Cup.

Carlos Vela was the captain of the ship. He was the one who pulled the strings in the attack and even though his lack of rhythm became evident in the second half, he's going to be a major piece of the attack this summer.

Gio was handed the arm band and he put in quite the effort. Unfortunately for him, that's about all he contributed. Osorio seems set on providing him with opportunities so let's just hope he rediscovers some of his magic before the World Cup.

----

Nestor Araujo came in and showed exactly why he's been a starter under Osorio. Very solid game from him, as usual.

Jorge Hernandez had a decent game as he maintained the tempo set by Jesus Molina in the first half. He competed well against the much more physical Bosnians and got rid of the ball quickly once he won it back. He's performed well in friendlies but he hasn't translated that level to official games. He most likely won't be going to Russia.

Jonathan dos Santos was the best player on the field in the second half. He showed that his skill set won't be affected by the level of the league he plays in.

Jonathan Gonzalez had a positive debut. It took him a few minutes to find the rhythm of the game but he did not disappoint. He showed many of the qualities he has shown at Monterrey and most importantly, he showed that Osorio was right to play him as an interior instead of strictly a defensive midfielder. Still don't think he makes the WC Roster but it won't be due to lack of quality.

Javier Aquino had an average performance. Won some 1v1 duels, lost others. Guilty of holding on to the ball too long at times but combined well with Gallardo and Jona dos Santos. His spot on the WC roster seems safe.

Rodolfo Pizarro had a small cameo last night but did enough to begin to erase some of the bad taste his performances left during the last Gold Cup. Mexico's attack really was energized by his introduction as he served nearly the same function as Vela but on the opposite flank where he showed his technical proficiency by constantly skipping past Bosnian players and creating danger. He carried his good start of the season with Chivas to the National Team and I would hope Osorio allows him to compete with Gio for a spot.

There isn't much one can draw from a game like this but it seems people's expectations were pretty high. The things that I wanted to be on the lookout for were to see how the team dealt with a physically superior opponent and how quickly we could transition the ball into the attacking third. I liked what I saw even if I know many of these players won't be going to the World Cup.

He praised Gio's shape, as in the state of his body at the moment since he is in the off season.

6. LaMascara

LaMascara Member+

Apr 11, 2013
    Club:
    Pachuca CF
    It was clear that osorio was trying players in different positions to see if they could make a case for themselves. Imo Elias Hernandez, pineda, Martin, and Giovanni Failed the test.

I really like the second half once the jonas and Hernandez came in.

I have been very critical of the Pumas lb but yesterday he had a really good game

thedragonrik58 and TGO repped this.
  7. LaMascara

LaMascara Member+

Apr 11, 2013
    Club:
    Pachuca CF
    The fact that Molina played even though he was a last minute call up and Burrito had decent minutes shows us that Osorio is considering bringing in a cdm to the world cup.

That's good Imo

8. ipaman

ipaman Member+

Apr 5, 2004
    HOUSTON, TX
    Honestly no one was bad last night which is shocking considering this was an experimental team with several players coming from no playing time or off season. That said, no one other than Vela stood out for me. He has to go to Russia because he has talent that no other Mexican has. As for the others, they are all very good players but there is another guy who could do the job too. Nothing standout about them necessarily.

For me Vela, Arajuo, and Jona are locks. I would take the kid JoGo as #23 just for the experience. Again this is because none of the other fringe guys are so much better than he is and this could help him make the jump to Europe. Same goes for Edson.

The rest eh... Maybe Aquino because he has 1v1 ability which is a bit rare for Mexican player right now. Nevermind that he'll beat the marker only to fack up the last ball or shot. He's good insurance for Chucky and Tecate.

Maybe Ayala because again he's good insurance.

And I'll probably get flamed but Molina too. I've never understood the hate. He's big, physical, can play simple. I think he is useful as a 2nd contencion against the Germans.

So from this group Vela, Arajuo, Jona, Aquino, Ayala, Molina, and JoGo & Edson for the experience and to maybe play too. That leaves a few spots open and honestly I don't think those players will matter much. Again good players but nothing special.

9. Sanchito

Sanchito Member+

Jul 15, 2005
    an island in my mind
    All Osorio does is win...I'm not gonna hate on him until the WC is over.

ipaman and Frankie Venom repped this.
  10. Otaku

Otaku Member+

Dec 9, 2003
    Club:
    CDSC Cruz Azul
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    #410 Otaku, Feb 1, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2018
    In my mind the lineup is clear. The only question is who plays CDM. I would have it be between E. Alvarez and Burrito but I need to see if they can do better than Molina on a bigger stage.

Corona---------------Cheech/Raul----------Chucky

----------Guardado-------------------Herrera----------
    ----------------------------CDM----------------------------

Layun--------Moreno-----------Araujo--------Salcedo

---------------------------Memo-------------------------------

At St I would play whoever is in form between Cheech or Raul.

Back ups would be:
    Corona
    Cota
    Rafa
    Reyes
    Gallardo
    Aquino
    (Two out of Molina, Burrito, and E. Alvarez)
    Vela

Fabian
    J. Gonzalez
    Pizzaro
    Damm
    Oribe

3 out of this last group or 4 if Osorio only takes 1 DM out of the 3 above.

DankYummy and Baysic repped this.
  11. angelsfan

angelsfan Member+

Jun 4, 2008
    So Cal
    Gio is a package deal with Vela and Jona. I believe Osorio knows if he doesn't call Gio he risks losing Vela and Jona in future games.

You can see it in Osorio's face whenever Gio had the ball and would turn it over. Cringe worthy

Neymadres, DankYummy and Miguel Myers repped this.
  12. Lukato

Lukato Member+

Sep 7, 2012
    Club:
    CDSC Cruz Azul
    No, en la entrevista despues del partido un periodista le dice que, a su juicio, Giovani no juega bien en ninguna posicion que lo ponen y Osorio a grandes rasgos le dice que se equivoca y que Giovani jugo un partidazo.

DankYummy repped this.
  13. ...In my defense

Feb 11, 2006
    Seems like you're paraphrasing.

Osorio doesn't usually single players out for praise or criticism. On the post game interviews I saw on Univision, he declined to comment on individual players other than a few specific words about Vela, Jona and Jona Gonzalez. He reiterated his praise for Gio's physical shape and that was about it.

14. Lukato

Lukato Member+

Sep 7, 2012
    Club:
    CDSC Cruz Azul
    look for the ESPN clip on youtube, the journalist says that Giovani doesn't seem to be comfortable anywhere on the pitch and Osorio literally says he is wrong then goes around praising Giovani.

in no moment he mentions his physical shape.

15. Baysic

Baysic Member+

Jun 11, 2009
    The Bay Area, CA
    Club:
    Club América
    There's definitely some type of of practiced narrative going on. I saw the interview with Cantu and he said the same thing almost word for word about his form and how he's impressed by how in shape he is.

I just think it's pretty rough how the fan base has turned on Gio and Vela after the league switch. We have dudes in Europe who score once every few weeks or ride the bench and even they get undying support.

LGRod and Colima24 repped this.
  16. Baysic

Baysic Member+

Jun 11, 2009
    The Bay Area, CA
    Club:
    Club América
    I just think Gio doesn't fit the system....in confeds I could tell he was looking husky and out of shape. I saw him tracking back yesterday and running. You can even see it in his face he is thinner now.

LGRod repped this.
  17. ...In my defense

Feb 11, 2006
    Yeah it all seems a bit scripted, to be honest.

Not necessarily from Osorio since he's always been that way but Cantu and the other chumps regurgitating what Osorio says in interviews. Shit gets old.

Gio obviously has not been outstanding for the National Team since his move to MLS but he's also been nowhere as bad as some of these dudes around here would have you believe. The narrative is so strong that they even roped Vela and Jona into it. All of a sudden they have been crap too apparently.

Just on the back of last night's game, Jona and Vela easily shattered those talking points.

LGRod repped this.
  18. Lukato

Lukato Member+

Sep 7, 2012
    Club:
    CDSC Cruz Azul
    Because most of those guys are giving away the money making so he they can be at the best form possible for the well being of the national team, Moreno and Layun rejected offers from the norteños and Guardado from MLS for that reason, those guys deserve all the praise in the world even if things don't go their way in Europe.

Vela hasn't played a single minute of MLS and was training with Real Sociedad until mid december and Jona has only been there for what, 3 months? Wait until the summer when they have to play actual competition and not Bosnia's U20 team to praise them.

19. Baysic

Baysic Member+

Jun 11, 2009
    The Bay Area, CA
    Club:
    Club América
    Yeah like the big comment is " x player was good 20 minutes and went to shit."

God forbid the opposing team is capable of making adjustments. I see these friendlies and team building and making sure nobody gets hurt. Nobody is gonna go 100% in these games, and specially the guys coming off long breaks

Inevitably it's down to having a good world cup showing or bust. I'll be looking for the results there as even though I don't like the coach, it's well established Osorio can at least win friendlies so nothing much to see from the result.

...In my defense and Colima24 repped this.
  20. Miguel Myers

Miguel Myers Member+

Dec 3, 2011
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Fighting for PT amongst the top teams is commendable and they have a huge role on the NT. Crap on Chich all you want, his record with the NT is not by accident.

Meanwhile Salcedo, Guardado, Lozano, Tecatito, Reyes, HH, and now Layun and Moreno all play or will play huge roles in europe

Otaku, DankYummy and Lukato repped this.
  21. NCCFBALL

NCCFBALL Member+

Apr 19, 2007
    ITALY
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I've said for a year or so that Gio should not be a starter for the NT right now as he has been last year or so, however I continue to tell the ignorant people on here bashing him just cause he is in MLS now that no way is Gio less a player then some of the Liga MX scrubs that get thrown out there.

22. Colima24

Colima24 Member+

Jul 28, 2005
    Villa de Alvarez
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    So you CAN communicate in complete comprehensible sentences.

Richy_Rich, Neymadres, LGRod and 7 others repped this.
  23. ...In my defense

Feb 11, 2006
    Jona hasn't played a competitive game since what, November?

I think the point stands. Many people have written him off simply because he packed up and went to MLS. We all agree that it is less than ideal for these guys to cash in and go to MLS but I think it's important to keep things in context.

I don't believe Jona will be affected by playing in MLS. His game is about movement and passing and he demonstrated that in the few months he spent with the Galaxy. His NT performance won't differ much from what we are used to and last night was an example of that.

Just because Gio has lost competitive rhythm while playing in MLS doesn't mean Vela or Jona will do the same. Not sure why that is such a hot take around here.

I'm not sure what game you saw but Vela and Jona were clearly two of the best players last night. It doesn't matter who they played since you have to play whoever is in front of you and try to perform. Jona also had a good game against Poland a few months ago, does that not count because the Poles were at home?

Maybe you should wait until these players actually perform poorly before you rush to tear them down?

Rafael Hernandez and thedragonrik58 repped this.
  24. Special_talent23

Real Sociedad
    Mexico
    Mar 26, 2017
  25. Hecho en Chivas

Hecho en Chivas Member+

Apr 22, 2004
    Chulajuana
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico