Friendly: Japan V Colombia, March 22nd

Discussion in 'Colombian National Team' started by pibe10, Jan 24, 2019.

1. pepinointer

pepinointer Member+

Mar 12, 2007
    Santiago de Compostela
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    #276 pepinointer, Mar 22, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2019
    Falcao and Duvan were great. Super dangerous for peruvian defense....if you think that a couple of forwards can managed all the lines of a team....talks a lot about your knowledge....

Do you know what is causality? your points have the argumentation and basis of a kinder garden. What a guy with lazinnez to think

Im sorry you are disable to analyse what people is refering too.

Is obvioulsy that they worked together and complement together very well....yeah but they are responsible of the own goal of ospina

Incredible that a person of almost 30 years old, to distort that a couple of strikers worked, uses the result of the end of the game ignoring all the process of game. By people with that mental laziness of crzd and his meaningless arguments. It is that trump, bolsonaro and other facistas come to power and the world is a horrible place. I don't understand that fear that mentioning things as they actually happen.

Ps; Overall Colombia played better than peru that Match...........Peru dont generate more options to think that they were to win, even if peru and colombia agreed to stop playing in the last 3 minutes. Is pathetic how you in your desire to dsicredit by discredit only misrepresent...

2. villus

villus Member+

Jun 5, 2008
    I think there should be no doubt that Duvan starts, if its with Falcao or not should be the debate imo. Without Quintero I can see an argument for playing them both in games we will be attacking a lot, but without strong overlapping fullbacks playing the 4-2-2-2 is going to be difficult, that formation worked when we had two very good wing backs imo. I didn't watch the game but it sounded like the double 5 didn't impress again, I think its going to be hard to see Barrios and Lerma working unless we are playing teams a lot stronger then us, Uribe has been a big positive in that position and without Quintero we need more players who can progress and get into the attack rather then James on his own doing all the creative work from midfield. Cardona is another option if he comes back into the fold.

This game and this window is always going to be difficult to play well, first time the coach works with the players and a long trip to asia with two inexperienced fullbacks we shouldn't expect a ton, it will take time for the players to adapt but hopefully we see progress in the next game.

3. crzdcolombian

crzdcolombian Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Avon,CT
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Playing well and not scoring or assisting while being a attacking player.... is playing ok to bad.

They have a job and that is to score.

You are making the argument that’s in a game that we tied and basically stoppped playing t the last 10 minutes was the reason Duvan and Falcao should play together.

I am not totally against it if Falcao plays for Zapata and not the other way around. We have been too focused on Falcao scoring and not winning for a while. I don’t care who scores as long as we win and not off some BS like today’s “handball”

Or if that is a good way to win let’s get some indoor soccer guys who are great dribblers and just have them kick it at defenders hands all game

4. pepinointer

pepinointer Member+

Mar 12, 2007
    Santiago de Compostela
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    statement that apart from mediocre and simplistic, it is completely removed from modern football, I guess from a person who doesn't see much football but checks statistics.

5. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I hate to be the bearer of Bad news but I doubt we will see the end of the Double 5 any time soon.
    Queiroz loves it and will only want to experiment with it more, along with a Triple 5.

villus, pepinointer and dapip repped this.
  6. pepinointer

pepinointer Member+

Mar 12, 2007
    Santiago de Compostela
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Well maybe with cuellar we will have a better pass

7. Baal88

Baal88 Member+

May 10, 2008
    Medellin
    Club:
    Independiente Medellin
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Yaaaay!!!! Nothing like playing the Demolition bro's while being one of the countries with most Creative footballing talent in the world.

ryu79, villus, J-Mezzy and 2 others repped this.
  8. Furnaccio

Furnaccio Member+

Feb 19, 2008
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    What concerned me about the 1st half was that we gave japan space for some good shots - if we give Brazil/Argentina/Uruguay those kind of shots; we could be down 2-0 after the opening 15 minutes.

Please correct me if I’m wrong, but it didn’t seem to me that Muriel/Villa were not providing much support defensively, thus we gave Japan a lot of possession in the first half - granted they didn’t really rattle us.

Meanwhile 2 minutes into the Duvan sub; he’s dropping back and fighting for possession. I even think I saw Diaz making a nice defensive play (picture quality of internet stream was suspect so it may not have been him).

If someone told me Pekerman was still in charge I wouldn’t have known the difference today. Looking forward to Tuesday and gradually see CQ incorporate his ways for the team.

Baal88 repped this.
  9. crzdcolombian

crzdcolombian Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Avon,CT
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Same...... for all the hate the federation had towards Pekerman they got version #2

The first half was painful to watch and the only reason people are being positive about the 2nd half is because we won off a bullshit PK that shouldn’t have been given

10. pepinointer

pepinointer Member+

Mar 12, 2007
    Santiago de Compostela
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    in second half the team improved a lot not only because the pnalty and the victory......the team recovered the ball.

hope queiroz is the version #2 of our most succesfull coach in history......yeah lead a midcamp with players of america de mexico, levante, brighton, south america to glory is very difficult............yeah only 3 players of our roster are elite with the other isnt so easy,

11. Furnaccio

Furnaccio Member+

Feb 19, 2008
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I do agree on the soft penalty - i sent the replay to some fans who have zero bias and they agreed it should not have been a penalty. i hope we get calls in our favor for copa america ;)

to be fair: look at these four lineups from 2011 / 2012. By Pekerman's 3rd game; you saw some noticeable changes. so let's be patient.

September 7, 2012 Colombia 4, Uruguay 0 (WCQ)
    Head Coach: Jose Pekerman
    David Ospina, Juan Zuniga, Carlos Valdez, Luis Perea, Pablo Armero, Macnelly Torres, Abel Aguilar (Aldo Ramirez), Edwin Valencia, James Rodriguez (Carlos Sanchez), Radamel Falcao, Teo Gutierrez (Carlos Quintero)
    Goals: Falcao, Teo (2), Zuniga

June 10, 2012, Ecuador 1, Colombia 0 (WCQ)
    David Ospina, Luis Perea (Juan Zuniga), Mario Yepes, Aquivaldo Mosquera, Pablo Armero, Carlos Sanchez, Freddy Guarin (Juan Cuadrado), Elkin Soto (Luis Muriel), James Rodriguez, Radamel Falcao, Dorlan Pabon

June 3, 2012 Colombia 1, Peru 0 (WCQ)

David Ospina, Luis Perea, Aquivaldo Mosquera, Mario Yepes, Pablo Armero, Carlos Sanchez, Freddy Guarin (Alex Mejia), James Rodriguez (Jackson Martinez), Juan Cuadrado (Aldo Ramirez), Dorlan Pabon, Radamel Falcao
    Goals: James

November 15, 2011 Colombia 1, Argentina 2 (WCQ)
    Head Coach: Leonel Alvarez
    David Ospina, Juan Zuniga, Mario Yepes, Aquivaldo Mosquera, Pablo Armero, Simon Bolivar, Abel Aguilar (Diego Arias), James Rodriguez, Dorlan Pabon (Dayro Moreno), Gustavo Ramos, Jackson Martinez (Darwin Quintero)
    Goals: Dorlan Pabon

12. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    People love to look at the negatives but rarely like to emphasize the positives.

We had many chances and hit many posts/the cross bar.
    The hypothetical game goes both ways. Sure, if we give Argentina/Brazil/Uruguay those chances maybe they make us pay. However if we get our chances and finish them in a more efficient manner instead of hitting the goal arch we could be all over teams. This game opens up more in our favor if we are more cold blooded.

The team has only had a few days with Queiroz. Of Course it is not going to change much from Pekerman. He blatantly said he wants to build upon what Pekerman has already built and I assume make minor changes here and there.

ryu79 and pepinointer repped this.
  13. Furnaccio

Furnaccio Member+

Feb 19, 2008
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I agree with your post but I want to focus on this above statement.

We are rarely cold blooded. The only game last cycle where we went in with a “seek and destroy” mentality was the Brazil game CA15

Even the times we get an early lead, we have a tendency to rest on laurels. Hope CQ can change that mentality over time.

14. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    It will probably take time but it helps that our players are showing some cold blooded tenancies for their clubs. Just needs to translate to the Seleccion.
    It may be one of those things when it finally starts to go in then the goals will come in bunches. (Hopefully in June.)

Furnaccio repped this.
  15. villus

villus Member+

Jun 5, 2008
    Which is why I didn't want Queiroz as coach. It may be higher risk at times to play more attacking soccer but if we want to actually go far we have to take risks and embrace our creative talents, we aren't Uruguay. Although I will say without Quintero and James its going to be difficult to play all out attack, but the double 5 as the go to is probably going to hold our ceiling back, but when we get Quintero back (hopefully he can get back to the level he was at now) if he's on form and we only play one of James or Quintero It's going to be laaaaaame.

16. Furnaccio

Furnaccio Member+

Feb 19, 2008
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    No Quintero until 2020
    No cuadrado until June?
    No cardona until.....???

I think a few of us are bracing ourselves for doble and triple cincos for awhile.

17. villus

villus Member+

Jun 5, 2008
    Yeah I think Quieroz's default is defensive and especially if guys like Quintero are out and Cardona isn't picked it will give him an opportunity to fall back into old ways. I doubt it would happen but I'd like to see us play with a double 8, I actually think Cuadrado could play more central and do it, Uribe can do it and I think Cardona could as well. Cardona and Cuadrado mainly play wide but Cardona for sure could come more central in a 4-3-3, cuadrado has played central in a midfield 3 in the past.

Muriel/Duvan/Villa
    --James------Cuadrado
    -----------Barrios

It would be great to mimic the Man City formation, they play their two CM's as double 8's and they push their wingers to hug the touchlines pinning the fullbacks back, in posession their fullbacks play inverted rather then wide and help to cover the space left by the CM's bombing forward.

Azucarero, Baal88 and Furnaccio repped this.
  18. praxis.en

praxis.en Member

May 13, 2015
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I defended Sanchez a lot before but his World Cup was disastrous. I dont see him coming back

19. praxis.en

praxis.en Member

May 13, 2015
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Cardona's unprofessional erratic ass will not be missed.

Froboy69 repped this.
  20. praxis.en

praxis.en Member

May 13, 2015
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Roja Ambulante Cardona is a weird player. He'll play a superb game score an amazing goal and the next game he doesnt play well at all and the next game he elbows a dude.. nah

21. ryu79

ryu79 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 17, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    This is what holds us back from taking the next step. Talent is there.

Falcao and James have the killer instinct. I hope with time and continued success in at highest club levels, our team can take the best step on this attribute.

22. Froboy69

Froboy69 Member+

Inter Milan
    Colombia
    Mar 25, 2011
    San Diego
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
  23. pibe10

pibe10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 30, 2005
    Petach Tikva, Israel
    Club:
    Atletico Nacional
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    My rating to the players on yesterday's performance.
    https://colfootball.wordpress.com/2019/03/24/one-by-on-colombia-vs-japan-friendly/

In general I think that we cannot take too much from this game, especually since it's still not Queiroz's team. There were some bad things and also good things. I hope Queiroz will learn asap since we have left less then 3 months to the first match in the Copa America.

Furnaccio, Azucarero and pepinointer repped this.
  24. Azucarero

Azucarero Member+

May 9, 2008
    Finally got to watch the match. As most have mentioned, it's hard to make a lot of judgement, but I'll divide this into thoughts on players and thoughts on tactics:

-Lerma played probably the worst half I've ever seen one of our central midfielders play. That 1st half he could not complete a pass, couldn't challenge a defender, and just wound up on the floor time and time again trying to make a reckless defensive play. He was awful. In the 2nd half he was FAR better. However, the Japanese QUICKLY noticed that he was the weak link and closed him down again and again to much effect. He was ready for the double press in the 2nd, but while he was able to retain possession almost ALL of his passes were lateral. It's been said before, but if we're running a double 5 with him and Barrios, prepare for ugly and unsuccessful futbol people...

-Muriel was stellar, but largely un-involved because of his totally ineffectual partner at LB.

-Villa had a couple great crosses, but 9/10 times was disarmed easily by the Japanese. The guy has never thrived against intense defensive squads. That's not to say he won't get better, but, right now, this guy should be our super sub so we can actually use his speed.

-We have to find different full backs, and I didn't need to tell any of you that. Their presence hurt everybody else.

Tactics:

-Falcao in a single-striker formation saddens me and he doesn't deserve that kind of treatment. Once Falcao came off, we saw what our team needs from a lone guy. Duvan was able to hang on to countless goal kicks and even turn the defenders enough to allow our attack to transition. Of course, these two together looked fine. So, if we want Falcao's finishing, we've gotta put a decent partner next to him. Duvan is our new Teo, except he's got break-away speed.

-I REALLY dislike that Morelos was forced to play out wide. I guess what everybody's been alluding to is true regarding Quieroz. My hope is that Duvan did enough to convince him to give double strikers a fair shake, but this looks like it's going to be an uphill battle...

-The last ten minutes was a clear simulation of what Pekerman's strategy had become towards the end of his tenure and, yet again, what we've been hearing about Quieroz' mentality. We had 3 pure attackers on the pitch and 3 central mids. Not one creative mid (Diaz was given specific instructions to stay wide). This is alarming. We don't have the discipline to be a defensive side that can comfortably hold a 1 goal lead. And the worst part is that we give up the same amount of goals when we play to defend as when we play to attack.

-The absence of Arias and another guy who can play on the right, be it Cuadrado or Quintero, might have resulted in an entirely different showing and strategy yesterday..

Froboy69, Cruzifero and pepinointer repped this.
  25. Tio Nicci

Tio Nicci Member+

Nov 13, 2008
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Deportivo Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I haven't commented about Queiroz.

However I wasn't fond of his style with Portugal back in 2008-2010. I'm curious to see how he will organize Colombia against top 10 teams.

Furnaccio repped this.