Friendly: Italy vs. Fluminense 8th of June

Discussion in 'Italy: National Teams' started by indestructible, Jun 6, 2014.

1. gumbacicc

gumbacicc Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    USA
    I wouldn't take much from the result on either side. Both sides were experimenting without their respective ideal starting XIs. I think you look at the performance of the players and make evaluations on that basis.

2. jerrito

jerrito Member+

Jun 22, 2006
    America
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Agree 100%. The thing I took away from it is that we have multiple options for scoring when necessary. That is all. And it was nice to be entertained watching an Azzurri friendly.

3. indestructible

indestructible Member+

SSC Napoli
    Jan 14, 2007
    Mercato Professor
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    It was refreshing to see after the Lux game at home. Italy getting 5 goals in an away friendly is unheard of. We've struggled to win vs. minnows in the past.

jerrito repped this.
  4. AcesHigh

AcesHigh Member+

Nov 30, 2005
    Novo Hamburgo
    Club:
    Gremio Porto Alegre
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Rio is not even the most italian place in Brazi...

take São Paulo for example... it´s first skyscraper? Edificio Martinelli, in 1930. While NY had Rockefeller... São Paulo had the Matarazzo family in the early 20th century. Palmeiras was called Palestra Italia before WWII. And one of the tallest buildings in São Paulo to this day is called Edificio ITALIA...

then you go to south Brazil... and italians didn´t simply immigrate to the cities that already existed... they basically founded 1/3 of the cities... including Caxias do Sul (see video below), just 90km north of Porto Alegre

el napulitan, jerrito and indestructible repped this.
  5. indestructible

indestructible Member+

SSC Napoli
    Jan 14, 2007
    Mercato Professor
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Cool stuff.

I said earlier in the thread it would have been nice for Italy to play Palmeiras

el napulitan repped this.
  6. gumbacicc

gumbacicc Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    USA
    For the Brazilians that have posted here, in the unlikely event that you go out, can you see Brazilians supporting any other nations? If so, which one(s)?

7. AcesHigh

AcesHigh Member+

Nov 30, 2005
    Novo Hamburgo
    Club:
    Gremio Porto Alegre
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    there are already plenty of Brazilians supporting other nations. Brazil is also the 2nd team most brazilians are rooting against, after Argentina.

now, which teams might brazilians support? There are 200 million people, so I am sure there will be plenty of different opinions and reasons to support other teams.

examples:

there are people who might support countries they are related to, like german descendants supporting Germany, italo descedants supporting Italy, japanese descendants supporting Japan, etc.

there are people who might support countries based on play style... people who like tiki-taka supporting Spain, those who like more defensive football supporting Italy (not that much defensive in this generation however)

there are people who might support a team based on the superstar player they are fans of: supporting Portugal because of Ronaldo, Argentina because of Messi, or any other player they like.

there are people who like to watch a particular LEAGUE (England, Italy, Spain, Germany) so they might support the national team of that league, although clearly there is not much relation between national teams and leagues (clearer case is England)

there are people who love the US (as a nation) so they might support it´s football team, while others may be anti-american so they might support Iran (lol)

there are those who love the S.America vs Europe football rivalry, so they might support any team from the continent.

there are also those who will support the team which DURING THE COMPETITION, mostly pleases them with good football.

gumbacicc repped this.
  8. gumbacicc

gumbacicc Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    USA
    Wow, I never thought that a significant number of folks would be rooting against Brazil, in Brazil.

9. el napulitan

el napulitan Member+

Sep 28, 2008
    < @sals mom crew >
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    my bro lives in brazil, Fortaleza, i assume he's gonna go to a game or 2, he sent me a video to a game he went to during the feds where they had to go passed people rioting, was quite funny to see

10. FiveXChampion

FiveXChampion Member

Sep 23, 2000
    California
    Club:
    Fluminense Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #310 FiveXChampion, Jun 11, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2014
    That is truth indeed, but people tend to forget that Italian immigration didn't happen only in the Southern States or in Sao Paulo. Rio state, particularly the city of Rio de Janeiro, had a strong influx of Italian immigrants in the early 20th century as well and unlike what happened in the rest of Brazil, where Italian immigrants came mostly from rural areas of Italy, those who immigrated to Rio came mainly from urban areas to work in the industry and commerce. In 1900 around 35,000 Italians lived in the state, mostly in the city of Rio de Janeiro, and the remainder in coffee crops in the interior of the state. Currently there are aroud 600,000 Italians and descendants living in Rio, representing about 4% of the state population. (source: Angelo Trento, A Century of Italian Immigration to Brazil).

The Italian who went to Rio de Janeiro differed because they were mostly southern, especially coming from the provinces of Cosenza, Salerno and Potenza and, in smaller numbers, also of Naples, Caserta and Reggio Calabria. This is because the southern Italians preferred to dedicate to urban occupations, and the former capital of Brazil offered that type of job.

It is worth to mention, that the State of Minas Gerais also received a large number of Italian immigrants.

[​IMG]

11. phat

phat Viking

Feb 13, 2006
    Montreal
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    So what your saying is that because of Italians, Brazil and Argentina are great football countries... :p:p:p

12. indestructible

indestructible Member+

SSC Napoli
    Jan 14, 2007
    Mercato Professor
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    If so many italians did not leave italy for the america's, I think it's safe to say we'd be on our 8th World Cup

13. FiveXChampion

FiveXChampion Member

Sep 23, 2000
    California
    Club:
    Fluminense Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #313 FiveXChampion, Jun 12, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2014
    Lol. That's not entirely false. Brazil is a country of immigrants and Ital0-Brazilians made a great contribution indeed:

Hideraldo Luiz Bellini - Defender - Captain of the Brazilian National Team - 1958:

[​IMG]

Roberto Rivelino - Midfielder - 1970, 1974, 1978
    [​IMG]

Renato Portaluppi - Renato Gaucho - Striker - 1986. 1990
    [​IMG]

Claudio Taffarel - Goalkeeper - 1994, 1998
    [​IMG]

Luiz Felipe Scolari - Felipão - Head Coach 2002, 2014
    [​IMG]

el napulitan and gumbacicc repped this.
  14. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Sebastião Lazaroni!
    [​IMG]

FiveXChampion repped this.
  15. ArtemioD

ArtemioD Member+

Jun 2, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Vicente Italo Feola. First Brazilian World Cup winning coach.

FiveXChampion repped this.
  16. Il Ciuccio

Il Ciuccio Member+

Feb 17, 2010
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    italians can always make great changes and accomplish great things outside of italy lol its doing it in italy thats the challenge LOL

falvo, el napulitan and vesuviani repped this.
  17. el napulitan

el napulitan Member+

Sep 28, 2008
    < @sals mom crew >
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    so so true

18. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    No infrastructure, a provincial mentality and most importantly, no money!

19. Il Ciuccio

Il Ciuccio Member+

Feb 17, 2010
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    hey the people they were sending away in italy were just uneducated farmers and look most of them are living well off and their grandchildren are still living off their hard work....My Nonno bought 4 houses and only had a 3rd grade education !

jerrito repped this.
  20. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #320 falvo, Jun 13, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2014
    editing to move post to proper thread....

21. FiveXChampion

FiveXChampion Member

Sep 23, 2000
    California
    Club:
    Fluminense Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, Rome used to rule the world and what about Da Vinci, Michelangelo, Vivaldi...???

[​IMG]

What I really know is that everybody loves Italy and I am really proud of my Italian ancestry.

ArtemioD, indestructible and jerrito repped this.
  22. JCNapoli17

JCNapoli17 Member+

Aug 23, 2012
    Winning
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    ... And that's why they call it the old country!

23. el napulitan

el napulitan Member+

Sep 28, 2008
    < @sals mom crew >
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    and created the bank of italy, now known as the bank of america

thats not the present though and none of those things help italians in italy today, italians outside of italy still do great things, there is little opurtunity for people to do great things because it invloves some lazy politician somewhere along the line to get of his arse for and hour or 2,

many young italians are leaving italy because they have little hope, although i gotta say i'm tired og hearing young italians moaning about italy and no opps for the young, perhaps they should find an opurtunity in a sector where they can change italy instead of keeping moaning

24. krado33

krado33 Member+

May 23, 2014
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Italy though has one of the richest histories on the planet and only 3-4 other nations can boast more accomplishments. You can't put a price on that.

As for the state of the nation. Well it could be a lot worse. I suspect the standards of living that people are chasing is unrealistic and unsustainable. An individualist/materialist outlook is not a great state of being and will eventually turn as the young people get angry and do something to restore some order... Or maybe just ask the Germans to come and run things again.

el napulitan repped this.