Friendly: CMNT vs Panama

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Polygong, Nov 10, 2014.

1. Polygong

Polygong Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Date/Time: 18-Nov-2014 21:30 NT, 21:00 AT, 20:00 ET, 19:00 CT, 18:00 MT, 17:00 PT
    Venue: Estadio Rommel Fernandez, Panama City, Panama
    Boradcast: None known, please provide if any info if you have it

Squad:

PosPlayerClub
    GKLars HirschfeldVålerenga (NOR)
    GKMilan BorjanBulgaria Ludogorets (BUL)
    GKKenny StamatopolousAIK (SWE)
    DFNikolas LedgerwoodEnergie Cottbus (GER)
    DFDavid Edgar Birmingham City (ENG)
    DFAdam StraithUnattached
    DFDoneil HenryToronto FC
    DFAshtone MorganToronto FC
    DFNana AttakoraD.C. United (USA)
    DFKarl OuimetteImpact de Montréal
    DFDaniel StaneseAugsburg II (GER)
    MFJulian de GuzmanUnattached
    MFAtiba HutchinsonBeşiktaş (TUR)
    MFPatrice BernierImpact de Montréal
    MFIssey Nakajima-FarranImpact de Montréal
    MFKyle BekkerToronto FC
    MFRussell TeibertVancouver Whitecaps FC
    MFJonathan OsorioToronto FC
    MFBryce AldersonVancouver Whitecaps FC
    MFMaxim TissotImpact de Montréal
    FWDwayne De RosarioToronto FC
    FWTosaint RickettsHapoel Haifa (ISR)
    FWMarcus HaberCrewe Alexandra (ENG)

2. Moaca

Moaca Member

Mar 8, 2006
    SportsnetWorld and SportsnetOne live at 8 pm, Nov 18

3. Kingston

Kingston Member+

Oct 6, 2005
    12 of 23 from MLS

4. Polygong

Polygong Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    That is true. Only 5 of them are regular MLS starters, though many of the others are very young players who are promising to become regular MLS starters. Plus there's DeRo, who was an MLS starter and only isn't now due to age.

I'm guessing that if Will Johnson, who is also starting quality, wasn't injured, there'd be 13 MLS players.

5. Moaca

Moaca Member

Mar 8, 2006
    Starting to get some real depth and young/ future players involved within a good system implemented by Floro. Things are looking up.

6. Polygong

Polygong Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    After watching the game vs Jamaica, I have to say I really like Floro`s tactics and style. Lots of good ball movement. That`s the kind of play we`ll need to be able to compete with the likes of Panama.

7. Kingston

Kingston Member+

Oct 6, 2005
    Not only that, but if you look at what's cooking with our pro club sides, the stream of talent entering the NT pool is only going to increase. It's a mug's game to try to predict which of the up-and-coming young players will fizzle, which will become NT regulars, and which will become the next DeRo but for the first time in living memory we can look forward to a steadily improving NT. Things are indeed looking up.

8. Polygong

Polygong Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Some big stuff coming up in the next few years. Gold Cup next year, which is a bigger deal that usual as this is an opportunity to secure a spot for the Copa America in 2016. Then the year after that it's back to WC qualifying.

It would be great to see some of the budding talent come up big to get us to succeed in all of this, though realistically we're still about five years before this generation truly comes into its own.

By the time qualifying for the 2022 WC hits though, it's easy to believe that we'll have a squad of 23 players who are MLS starters or better. To me, that's the benchmark for us to truly be competitive in CONCACAF.

9. Kingston

Kingston Member+

Oct 6, 2005
    I agree. Any success we have in the short term will be luck of the draw. By the 2018 WCQ we will be a stronger team. It is possible we could qualify, but not something I'd bet on. By the 2022 WCQ, however, we will have a strong enough team that I'll be expecting us to grab the third spot.

10. Polygong

Polygong Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    What's also good is that for the first time since Osieck, we have a manager that we can have faith in. Who knows if he'll still be with us by the time 2022 WC qualification hits, but hopefully this is a sign that the CSA has finally learned their lesson on picking the right manager.

11. Moaca

Moaca Member

Mar 8, 2006
    Before everybody starts bowing at the altar of Floro, people seem to forget, until the debacle at Honduras, Hart's record was pretty good. They can call Hart an "amateur" coach etc, but his record at T&T is also pretty good, even though they have beat up on a lot of minnows, but winning is still winning.

As for Osieck, the players lost faith in him. At one time, Yallop was deemed the best coach in MLS and Lenarduzzi got us the farthest in WCQ since 1986. It is so simple to say "foreign coach good, Canadian coach bad"

What I'm looking for from Floro is legacy, leaving a trail of Canadian coaches who learned from him and will carry his expertise forward.

12. Moaca

Moaca Member

Mar 8, 2006
    2022 is a long way away and Floro's record for sticking around is not too good, if you go by the resume I posted when he was first rumoured to be hired. I do hope he sticks around in some capacity either as coach or as a developmental mentor.

13. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://forums.bigsoccer.com/threads/proposed-2018-wcq-format.2011626/ thinks Canada will start World Cup Qualifying next year (possibly in June) with the month and round to be determined by what FIFA Rankings are used and where Canada is.

14. Polygong

Polygong Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Kind of odd to have WC qualifying within a month of the Gold Cup.

15. Polygong

Polygong Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    20 minutes in and just an awful match. Both sides making terrible fouls.

16. Polygong

Polygong Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    0-0 at halftime.

Overall, a crappy game. Far too many sloppy fouls from both sides. Panama started to play well in the last 15. Nothing much to be happy about from our side. Borjan has been good though.

17. Polygong

Polygong Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Panama down to 10 men with 15 minutes to go.

18. Polygong

Polygong Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    0-0 Final.

Better second half at least, for both sides.

Started off with a largely veteran lineup which was poor. Started bringing in the young players and if there's a positive to be taken from this match, our young players looked pretty good (except Henry who was not very good, though he was playing mostly out of position at RB).

Another positive, they managed to keep the lights on for the whole thing.

CMNT record for 2014: 1W 3D 1L

19. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FIFA projects Canada going from 251 to 286 FIFA Ranking points.

20. areathrasher

areathrasher Member

Mar 26, 2014
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
  21. Kingston

Kingston Member+

Oct 6, 2005
    Question: I get how points are calculated for a single game. I also understand how points are weighted to become less valuable as they become less recent over a four year period. For the average for a given year, however, is it the average of all matches played that year or some number of the matches played that year?

22. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  23. Kingston

Kingston Member+

Oct 6, 2005
    Thanks for the information. I poked around a couple of websites but somehow missed this part.

The bolded section addresses part of my question. It didn't seem useful for teams' rankings to get radically jerked around by playing only one or two games per year. A single upset win could really shoot a team up the rankings if it represented their entire year's output.

24. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Canada moved up 12 places to 110th. They're 14th in CONCACAF.

25. Polygong

Polygong Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Next year we have two WC qualifiers, the Gold Cup and maybe a friendly in March. Hopefully with all that we'll have our FIFA ranking back into double digits and our CONCACAF ranking into single digits.