Friendly: Belgium-Spain 1 Sept. (R)

Discussion in 'Spain: National Teams' started by Pichi, Aug 31, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pichi

Pichi Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 17, 1999
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    Real Betis
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Phoenix Rising repped this.
  2. Oscar

Oscar Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Holland
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I'm actually liking how Costa has played since being subbed in. He's running around more than Morata.

I think he had the assist as well for the 0-1. (goal Silva)

3. Oscar

Oscar Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Holland
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    So far so good.

Spain is passing around (much) faster due to the new blood in the team. The through balls in the open field actually find our players because we have speed with Carvajal and Vitolo. Thiago finally has his place in the team (should have happened much sooner). Our defense looking solid (so far). Our midfield has well, over half the match was us keeping Belgium on their half. Silva having a really good match.

4. Oscar

Oscar Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Holland
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I'm not sure if the Belgians even had possession almost 15 minutes into the 2nd half :D

5. Oscar

Oscar Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Holland
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Very good play again by Vitolo to get the penalty. Let Costa take it so he'll have a goal against a better opponent than Luxemburg. :D

Oh well, Silva deserves one too for his game tonight. 0-2

6. Oscar

Oscar Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Holland
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Our players are finding each other so easily, it's almost as if this wasn't a new team. Very good game from us.

7. Oscar

Oscar Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Holland
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    80 minutes into the match and we're still pressing them from their penalty area.

8. Juanele

Juanele Member+

Aug 4, 1999
    Colorado, US
    I didn't even know this was on to be honest. Looks like we have a good first impression under Lopetegui at least

9. Juanele

Juanele Member+

Aug 4, 1999
    Colorado, US
    Oscar, what is up with Holland...losing to Greece at home?

10. Oscar

Oscar Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Holland
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    FT 0-2

Very good first game for this team. Belgium right now isn't the best of the best, but they're not bad either. And we pretty much muted them for 90 minutes. The team is much more dynamic, looks for the goal much faster, runs a lot more. I'm liking it.

It's still early days, but looking at this one match only. I actually think Costa works better than Morata.

11. Oscar

Oscar Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Holland
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Bad management + bad players. Over here they're almost expecting not to qualify for the WC either....tbh, I don't think they will either. France will be first, and they will become 2nd at most and then need another qualifying game against another number 2. I don't see this team doing it.

But then I thought that France was going to easily win against Portugal. :D

12. Phoenix Rising

Phoenix Rising Member+

Jan 4, 2014
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    #12 Phoenix Rising, Sep 1, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2016
    Watched bits and pieces of the Spain vs Belgium game. So good to see the NT play without Iniesta (this current version) and Cesc. The Thiago-Busquets-Koke midfield looked good and is more dynamic than anything VDB used in the past 2-3 years... so I don't want to see Iniesta and Cesc re-instated to the starting XI. I think it's time Lopetegui dropped Azpilicueta too. He is useful because he can play both flanks but he doesn't offer much in attack or help with possession as much as I'd like (possibly due to his time at Chelsea/shitEPL). Bernat should be the obvious and better choice, IMO. I'm also looking forward to seeing Asensio get a start and stake a claim for starter's position soon.

This is looking like it could be a good squad for the next World Cup.... well, IMO at least.

Nolito/Vitolo --- Costa/Morata --- Silva/Asensio
    Thiago/Isco --- Busquets/Javi --- Koke/Saul
    Alba/Bernat --- Ramos/Mikel* --- Pique/Bartra --- Dani/Roberto
    De Gea/Reina/Adrian
    + two of Alcacer, Iniesta, Lucas, Jese (if he does well at PSG), or Pedro to make squad of 25.

*Or Aymeric Laporte if Lopetegui can convince him to play for Spain.