Friendly: AUstin vs PR Islanders?

Discussion in 'Austin Aztex' started by Intru, Mar 18, 2009.

1. TwoMeters

TwoMeters Member

Jan 27, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Though Patrick Meredith is a freelance photographer, according to his blog he has "accepted the role of becoming the official photographer of the Austin Aztex".

Not sure what the deal with that photo site is. When I posted a link to that set of pictures from my blog, there was no registration required. Perhaps Meredith disabled public access since then.

I hope you hear back from the Aztex; I've previously tried to contact him directly and gotten no response.

2. Native Aztexan

Jan 27, 2002
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. Scooter Pete

Scooter Pete Member

Apr 3, 2008
    Austin
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. shocksofmighty

May 6, 2000
    Silver Spring, MD
    I thought the fans singing the national anthem was pretty cool. That would be a neat thing to continue into a tradition. A little bit of rhythm from the drums could keep everyone together.

5. Madmartigen

Madmartigen Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Elgin, TX
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looks like the Islanders main weakness is penalties...Too bad we can't exploit that in the regular season. It was a shame to see them get that close. I thought it was over when they scored in overtime. Bad breaks. I would have loved to see a USL team in the finals...

6. FrogHammer

FrogHammer Member

May 26, 2005
    I bet they practiced penalty kicks all week too.

We should just give Alejo the megaphone and let him lead the national anthem and announce the game from the stands. That would be worth the price of admission and we could do away with the need for an announcer/music all together.

7. AztexMessiah

AztexMessiah New Member

Feb 9, 2009
    Austin, Texas
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Sorry to be negative towards the USL clubs
    But i knew Puerto Rico was going to lose, come on..
    the return leg being at the Estadio Azul in Mexico City

All Mexican final hell yeah!!
    then on to the FIFA Club World Cup in december :D:D

8. mgrayscale

mgrayscale Member

Mar 10, 2008
    Buda, TX
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, I would disagree. If you look at the rules in this competition as compared to the way most other competitions like it run, PR would've won on a 4-3 aggregate at the end of extra time. But since this competition says that away goals are the same as home goals as soon as you hit extra time is non-sensical. I also think Cruz Azul got lucky in that Gaudette didn't block the first PK (he had his hands on it but didn't lock his wrists) and the final PR PK was a high kick as the striker (can't remember his name) hit it with his laces.

Having said all of that, Cruz Azul won and deserved it last night. I felt they absolutely ruled extra time after PR scored their lone goal of the night.

9. Alejo

Alejo Member

Jul 17, 2008
    Austin, Texas, Yall
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well acctually they've all ready done away wit hthe music, i didn't hear a smig of a song last Friday, and except for the "technical difficulties" anouncement that spured on our singing the anthem I never heard the moppet speak either.

10. JC Tottenham Hotspur

Apr 12, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    They were playing music before you guys made your entrance. I particularly remember hearing the Rolling Stones belting out. That was nice :)

11. Alejo

Alejo Member

Jul 17, 2008
    Austin, Texas, Yall
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well hell if we're being proceeded by the stones thats exeptable.:D

12. Alejo

Alejo Member

Jul 17, 2008
    Austin, Texas, Yall
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Damn double post, uuhhhhh. Shame about the Islanders for sure, another bad beat for a fellow USL club in the Champions league, nuff said. Better luck next year and hopefully there will be an American side representing the USL next time around, along with Puerto Rico and either Montreal or Vancouver ;). Indeed here's hopin.

13. Blackburn

Blackburn New Member

Mar 13, 2007
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Aztex can qualify if they win the Lamar Hunt US Open Cup, though that's a long process to get through...

14. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not necessarily that long. Just six games, the first two almost certainly against PDL/USASA/USL-2 teams. Which ought to be winnable. So, on the optimistic side, just four games. And, to get even more optimistic and dreamy, both the Texas MLS teams have underperformed in the Open Cup, especially Houston. Since the Cup draw tends to be regional, the odds are very good that (assuming we get past the first two games) we'll get one of them as our first MLS team. In fact, I can easily imagine our route to the final looking a lot like Charleston's last year.

But I'm not going to get ahead of myself;)

15. Intru

Intru Member

Mar 16, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    Puerto Rico Islanders
    Give it a go I would love to have an american USL club join us in the CCL.