Friendlies Thread

Discussion in 'Women's International' started by AlexJ17, Nov 22, 2014.

1. Batfink

Batfink Member+

May 23, 2010
    Attilan
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Hmmmm, nice try blissett lol.... but choosing not to post critical opinions concerning various girls people are clearly infatuated with, isn't the same as childishly conceding to pressure of nonsensically petty arguments.

I mean, knowing me a former regular to the Nadeshiko thread (I still follow it..:ninja:), I'd think you'd understand why I no longer waste my time posting in places home to avatars who imagine themselves having personal relationships with these women, or believe they do no wrong.

Yeah, I can empathize with the various insecurities people may have following women's football, but the whole passive aggressive nature of the women's section can be... irritating (well, at least to me), and I simply choose to stay away from threads where certain avatars feel an irrational protective ownership of niche groups of female athletes running around half empty soccer stadiums.

Oh, but look what you made me do... I'm busy replying to topics not 100% focused on the final scores of female international friendlies; for shame...

Romario'sgurl and blissett repped this.
  2. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Sorry, 'Fink, you're right. I didn't resist! ;)

3. toad455

toad455 Member+

Nov 28, 2005
    no friendlies scheduled until May 22. Any reason why?

4. AndyHE

AndyHE Member

Sep 12, 2015
    Norway
    Club:
    SK Brann Bergen
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    #404 AndyHE, Apr 14, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2017
    Because countries generally adhere to the FIFA calendar, at least if they want any pro players in the squad. May 22 is outside the calendar dates so whoever scheduled a match at that date are either content to go with amateur players or have some kind of other arrangement:

upload_2017-4-15_5-17-32.png

gricio61 and blissett repped this.
  5. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    doing my own investigating on why Scotland lost so badly; apparently they played with what was termed an "under strength" squad'(but why? since they should using these games to get ready for Euros). While they did have English/WSL leading scorer in Jane Ross & Linda Evans, a winger with an distinguished career in the Bundesliga, plus the 36 year old Dieke(who goes all the wayback to the defunct WPS); they were missing Little, Corsie, Beattie, Lauder & Weir. Here's their page of the game
    http://www.scottishfa.co.uk/scottish_fa_news.cfm?page=2986&newsID=16884&newsCategoryID=1

batfink@ Scotland did bring in at 67 min. mark a German born girl; Sophie Howard. Interesting is that she made the German youth team. Then played for England's u23, and now for the Scot's senior side. Personally I like that idea, if you can't make a super strength squad like Germany & the US, then go play for another NT,. It's done in basketball all the time. Julia Simic was asked to play for Croatia. wish she did, as now she's contemplating retirement, and only time she got to represent Germany was the last game when Norway decided to park the bus during the last ten minutes that she came in for

gricio61 repped this.
  6. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    The Scottish FA said in a press release that 8 players were injured plus another one duty with the U19 doing their elite round.
    At least 5 out of those 8 would be starters in the team.

gricio61 and blissett repped this.
  7. Lechus7

Lechus7 Member+

Aug 31, 2011
    Wroclaw
    blissett repped this.
  8. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    any highlights of Poland/Ukraine & how is Pajor looking now that she's made the Wolfsburg starting lineup in their last several games?

of note; I've felt that Sweden at top form is essentially a one woman team! and unfortunately their missing that one woman ~~~ Sofia Jackobsson!

and another score from yesterday; Canada 3, vs the two women team known as Costa Rica, 1

9. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
  10. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Netherlands-Japan 0-1 (Yokoyama), ended a few moments ago.

11. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Canada vs Costa Rica, the whole enchilada

12. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    gricio61 repped this.
  13. Bauser

Bauser Member+

Dec 23, 2000
    Norway
    Club:
    Fredrikstad FK
    blissett repped this.
  14. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Yes, she somehow accustomed us to this kind of shots, but everytime she does it you can't help raising your eybrows and noticing.

I guess Japan's hopes to climb back to the top are tied to Yokoyama's scoring spell not ending soon.

15. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
  16. Thomsen

Thomsen Member+

Aug 6, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    I'm curious about who will make it to Sampson's starting eleven. Any thoughts about this?

17. Lechus7

Lechus7 Member+

Aug 31, 2011
    Wroclaw
    Ukraine 2 - 3 Poland
    (Khimich 8', Kalinina 86' - Tarczyńska 6', Kamczyk 25' Pajor 40')

Pajor had some very good games for NT since last 2 years now. Fans in Poland didn't really like Kellerman's decision notoriously having her on the bench in this season. Fortunately he's gone now (sort of) and on the other hand she did prove that she do deserve a place in Wolfsburg starting line-up. Since last year autumn Poland NT has got a new good coach Milosz Stepinski. It's 7 wins and 1 draw in last 8 games for White-and-reds. With Scotland rebuilding team after Euro's and Swiss NT in need of generation change, Poland has some good chances in upcomming WC qual.

gricio61, blissett and hotjam2 repped this.
  18. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    in his rather successful 2015 WC campaign, Sampson was known to shake things up every new game. But with his team's strong yesterday, that lineup looks like it might be the preferred. The only one missing might be Greenwood at left back(instead of Stokes). Here you can check their lineup vs Switzerland
    http://us.women.soccerway.com/matches/2017/06/10/world/friendly-women/switzerland/england/2433566/

didn't know this, but not only did Fran Kirby looked good in this game, but after coming back from injury led the short WSL spring series in scoring with 6 goals in only 248 min.(aprox 1 goal for every 41 min). So she'll probably would be a starter in my book.

Rather disappointing effort from the Swiss. Can't figure out their German coach; starts what almost looks like a B team, more known Bundesliga players like Bernauer, Abbe, Moser & Burki. Don't even play Bachmann or Dickenmann or Zehnder(who started in/for Freiburg's strong showing this season) . Plays the ball from the back, even though Taylor & Kirby are notorious for pick pocketing the ball from defenders. I mean why waist such an learning experience vs a strong opponent? as now's the time to try & build chemistry

Thomsen repped this.
  19. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    By the way, did he really play Ana-Maria Crngorcevic as a Full-Back, as it seems from the line-up? o_O

20. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    here is the full Japan/Nederlands game

disappointing again from the Dutch, Their semi new coach makes them play a high line defense, but all it does is condense the field & stops them using or giving space to arguably their best quality, speed!. Their off side trap got breached a number of times by the slow poke J forwards. A fast winger by trade, Lieke Martens is now stuck being the AM, where she's proving to be no Maro!
    In the meantime, despite starting what looks like a fairly new team, Japan showed their patented 'incredible patience' in winning this game, with just waltzing through the midfield with their short passing game, then with their sudden strike with their long balls

blissett repped this.
  21. Thomsen

Thomsen Member+

Aug 6, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    I think the Swiss coach is a she tho :p

Yeah, I really like Fran Kirby as well, always thought on her as a little gem in the English squad. I find England's way to play very little entertaining tho, but I'm gonna have an eye on them in the Netherlands next month..

I really like Bronze tho, probably the best right back in the world now together with Maier?

gricio61 repped this.
  22. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid

her & Maritz were the FB's, but they couldn't really help the CB's & GK, Thalmann, who looked like she was punched drunk in there. This was the only highlight I could find(with one goal missing, a Taylor steal)

Bronze along with Ashley Lawrence are pretty much considered the best FB's in the world. Not sure with Maier; she looked great under Silvia Neid, but that's cause she got the licence to move way up into the attack.. But performances at Bayern Munich have been puzzling to say the least, though! & not sure if she's even a starter anymore under Jones?

Good luck vs the US game! Hopefully Norway plays it no-nonsense and got Ada & Caro in there together for at least 75 min.

23. Thomsen

Thomsen Member+

Aug 6, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    #423 Thomsen, Jun 11, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2017
    Leo was included in Fifa's world team as a right back tho :p It would be a shame if Leo's not starting, she's one of my favourite players because she's like the female version of Lahm to me. And she's way better than Blasse, but too bad that Jones prefer the Wolfsburg back line + Henning actually... part of me want Germany to fail so hard in Netherlands if Jones play Henning :S

Yeah, I've been very excited for the game against US, and hopefully we'll see some great play by Ada and Caro. I also hope to see Maren in midfield and a new CB combo of Thorisdottir/Berge. Don't think it's gonna happen, tho.

I believe we have a fair chance tonight actually, US didn't look that great against Sweden few days ago.

24. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I am confused: last time I checked Crnogorcevic was a FW, wasn't she? :cautious:

25. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    she's been more of a utility player, but on this page(for Frankfurt) she's listed as a defender
    http://us.women.soccerway.com/teams/germany/1-frauen-fussball-club-frankfurt/4416/
    and here is Norway's starting lineup. I figured it be Berge/Mjelde at CB, but Caro at AM(instead of her fav right side/wing?

blissett repped this.