Friendlied out?

Discussion in 'USA Men: Fans & Travel' started by GOREVS3000, Apr 23, 2012.

1. GOREVS3000

GOREVS3000 Moderator
    Staff Member

New England Revolution
    United States
    Sep 18, 2006
    Boston
    Club:
    2 de Mayo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are you guys tired of friendlies at this point? I don't know about you but I am ready for the qualifiers.

The Brazil game hasn't sold out which isn't surprising as it's astronomically expensive and it feels like we've played Brazil/Argentina a gazillion times in the last five years.

2. RedRevs

RedRevs Member

Aug 24, 2005
    Cambridge
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am. Can't wait to go to a match that actually means something. Qualifier or bust.

3. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've been friendlied out since about 2008. I no longer find the joy in paying for gas/planetickets, hotels and usually overpriced game tickets to see a glorified training session. Yes it was nice to see Messi in person, but at the end of the game there was this empty feeling of accomplishing nothing. If US soccer puts a friendly within a few hours of my house (doubtful) I'd probably go, but otherwise, I'd much rather see a meaningful game against Antigua.

4. UnionFreak1

UnionFreak1 Member+

Oct 14, 2009
    Tucson, Baja AZ
    Club:
    FC Tucson
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Only go to friendlies if they're in the Southwest or a country I want to visit.

5. omnione

omnione Member

Jul 15, 2007
    Omaha, NE
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree....unless another friendly comes to Livestrong Park, I'm not using up my limited vacation time for friendlies. Gotta save them for some of the eight qualifiers.

Heck, I'm not even all that excited about watching this year's friendlies on TV. I will watch them with AO of course. But I'm just anxious to see Klinsi lead the first-team out onto the pitch for once.

6. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

If only because there are so few games, some 12 in a calendar year I think, I am always excited to watch friendlies. Go, not so much.

7. JLoeza

JLoeza Guest

Maybe they'd be more exciting to some if there were diverse countries / locations involved?

I'm talking about not just playing Argentina, Brazil, etc, but also scheduling England, Germany, Australia, Uruguay, and others.

8. CBlake

CBlake Member

May 20, 2007
    North of somewhere
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am looking forward to the friendlies as I will be at both the Brazil match in D.C. and Canada match in Toronto. They will be a great way for the team to get everything going and advance to the Hex and beyond.

9. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Me too. I live here in the DC area so I'm going to the Brasil game and I needed to visit some friends in Toronto anyway ... thus I'm going to that one as well.

10. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's a money issue. You have to pay extra to get the big Euro sides to come to the US.

11. JLoeza

JLoeza Guest

That's true. A US / Uruguay matchup (especially after Uruguays recent success) would surely draw a crowd as well.

I do like the friendly against Toronto in Canada. They will be ready for us and it will be interesting to see how we react against an up and coming Canada team.

12. ZeekLTK

ZeekLTK Member

Mar 5, 2004
    Michigan
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    I don't even bother to watch friendlies most of the time. I can't wait for qualifying to get started though. Going to be in Columbus for the Jamaica game!

13. UShornet

UShornet Member

Apr 4, 2008
    Omaha, NE
    Club:
    Watford FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I may not be sick of friendlies, but I am DEFINITELY sick of playing Brazil and Argentina. Watching USA play with 30% possession isn't my idea of fun. I know we have to test ourselves but we play them way too often. Scheduling a team Japan in Seattle is much more enticing.