News: Friedel Fired

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by patfan1, May 9, 2019.

1. dcochran

dcochran Member+

Feb 17, 1999
    Vero Beach, FL
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't have a clue what the terms of Brad's contract was, but I would be surprised if he didn't have a severance package if he got fired. Getting a payout for resigning is a lot less likely. His last two games in charge smacked of forcing Burns's hand and making him fire him. Perhaps realizing that the M'poku deal was going south was the final straw to convince him that it was time to get his severance and move on.

TOAzer repped this.
  2. FoxBoro 143

FoxBoro 143 Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I find it hard to be believe a coach would completely tarnish his reputation on purpose because he is disheartened with the organization, especially when he knew what the Revs were going in.

3. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It doesn't really matter at this point, but when you're 2-8-2 and got blown out in your last 2 games, I can't imagine Friedel thought he would be sticking around too much longer, regardless if he quits or is fired. After all, he played in Europe, where fans beat players up if they lose a couple of games in a row, right?

4. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

5. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So Wahl says that Uday tole him that they "almost" signed Ronldinho? Wow, how did that ever not get out? Who knows how many years ago that might have been, but how old is he now, close to 40?

"Almost" is the operative word here. M'Poku almost came to save our season. We almost won MLS Cup 5 times. We almost built a soccer stadium in Boston... Wait, that last one never happened. Wahl is fixated on that, when there are a ton of other things to push us way, way down on the ambition rankings. Not that I give them a total pass, but there are a lot of other things an ambitious owner could do right now without a whole lot of money, resources or effort. But they never do.

kennytt, pwykes and TOAzer repped this.
  6. MM66

MM66 Member+

Mar 9, 2009
    Brookline, MA
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I wonder if this greased the wheels on getting rid of Burns?

7. dncm

dncm Member+

Apr 22, 2003
    Boston
    Would love to see a compilation of all of Friedel’s cringe-worthy quotes as was mentioned in the Charles Boehm MLS article. I really do wonder what his next step will be because if it is coaching he has a tremendous amount to learn. But I really was not a fan of him as a broadcaster either so I hope he does not go back there.

And I found it interesting that Jeff Lemiux had two tweets about Friedel and Burns that both stated: It was clear there had to be a change.

I just find it interesting from a Revs PR person making that comment. What were his reasons to say that it was clear a change was inevitavle? I know we know, but why would the Revs PR man say about this?. I.e., he could see the coach had lost the locker room?

Or already creating the distance from the old regime?

Plus I found it interesting that Lapper’s first comments were to make mention of how Sigi was his mentor, again distancing himself from the old regime.

Times are a changing in Foxboro. Let’s hope it’s propel us upward and forward !

8. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    I think it is/was simply that the results and performances were getting worse, not better. He didn't have to be successful at this stage, but things at least should have been improving. 10 games into the 2nd season and things are in decline (and the season is practically over before it even really heats up) is pretty alarming.
    Me too. I think it was some clever self-promotion wrapped up in a tribute. Guys - don't forget I trained under a legendary MLS coach ...

Also thought it was interesting that he threw unconditional support to Turner. I like Turner best of our GKs - and Knighton, being a journeyman, should be able to handle that - but I can't imagine Cropper was very happy being told that the competition is already decided.

9. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    I think Friedel's next move will probably be back to the UK, either as an assistant in the PL/Championship or a head coach in the Championship or lower divisions. He'll probably need to go the assistant's route initially I would think.

I think he will be a good coach once he gets more experience. And, I think his style is very much forged in Europe and will work much better over there.

Despite it's image as a lesser league to many of Europe's, MLS is pretty tricky coaching waters IMO.

10. Minutemanii

Minutemanii Member+

Dec 29, 2005
    Abington MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just read this article again after the Burns firing. When I first read it, it was before the sacking and I was incredibly frustrated.

Now, after the fact it's both pathetic and hilarious to read. I see his sourpuss and his low energy. I hear his words of inaction and his stonewalling on being transparent like so many dreary seasons previous.

Thank goodness the enema has finally, finally been performed on this front office!

Then there was Bruce's refreshingly honest and transparent press conference. It was like sweet cool breezes coming into an opened window that had been wretchedly stuck shut for so long, finally displacing the rank stuffiness of the Burns atmosphere.

Rejoice![emoji1787][emoji106][emoji460]️

goussoccer, kennytt, NFLPatriot and 2 others repped this.
  11. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    I've pushed back against the "his players don't like him narrative", because I didn't feel there was real evidence to support it.

But, now, I find the lack of quotes from any players about Friedel kind of telling.

12. Minutemanii

Minutemanii Member+

Dec 29, 2005
    Abington MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And I found the way they played last Saturday, seemingly as if their lives depended on it, telling as well.

TOAzer repped this.
  13. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    goussoccer and BrianLBI repped this.
  14. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MM66 and RevsLiverpool repped this.
  15. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As much as Brad wanted to force his high line, high tempo, my way of the highway system down the players throats they were either not capable of playing it, he did not communicate it well or they were not buying what he was selling. Regardless of the reason to me this FO just got a major overhaul. I don't believe the team talent is where it needs to be but I suspect they will play better under Bruce

16. Minutemanii

Minutemanii Member+

Dec 29, 2005
    Abington MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They already have. ;)

17. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hell feel most comfortable in England's mean dressing rooms, dog-eat-dog atmospheres where fans anxiously wait by the manager's car.:rolleyes:

Hope he gets a job at Blackburn or Millwall somewhere like that then works his way up. He was clearly not ready for MLS and is best suited for the environment he's most used to as a player.

18. rkane1226

rkane1226 Member+

Apr 9, 2000
    Club:
    Stade Brestois 29
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    BF seems like the coach most unable to understand a US locker room since BF.

Stapleton has done a little coaching since the Revs but, near as I can tell, never as a head coach?

19. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Stapleton worked as a broadcaster in England for a while, which is a pretty good gig for a well-known ex-player.

You could say a broadcaster is like being the King and a coach is like being the Prime Minister, who is actually trying to implement ideas, and things don't always work. A king (broadcaster) can bluster about what "should" be done, when sometimes it's a lot easier said than done.

rkupp repped this.
  20. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly. He may thrive as a manager I'm the UK. But right now he would fail at any MLS job. US-based players don't have that 'gun to the head pressure' - Friedel's management style won't work.

21. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I remember Ted Chronopolous telling the story of when he played for Panionios, a mid-to bottom-level Greek team in 1995, and how their own fans pelted their bus with rocks after a loss, and how they'd have to be wary of certain fan groups.

That stuff goes too far, but MLS guys have it pretty good in comparison. I have to laugh at the guys who get upset when opposing fans heckle them, etc.

22. Jon Martin

Jon Martin Member+

Apr 25, 2000
    SE Mass
    There was a farmer had a cow,
    Meola was his name-o
    M-E-O-L-A
    M-E-O-L-A
    M-E-O-L-A
    Meola was his name-o!

Beep...Beep...Beep...Beep
    :-D

NFLPatriot repped this.
  23. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Remember, kids, you can't spell "Meola" without M-E-A-L!

Ever since Fat Tony and Snack Thornton retired, there really aren't any more "fat bastard" goalkeepers around

24. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who ate all the pie? who at all the pie? you fat bastard you fat bastard you ate all the pie!

25. Feldspar

Feldspar Member+

Nov 19, 1998
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I miss Two Ton Tony.