Friday night football

Discussion in 'Toronto FC' started by TFCREDMENACE, Mar 23, 2019.

Tags:
?

For or Against Friday night football

Poll closed Mar 30, 2019.
  1. For

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. Against

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. TFCREDMENACE

TFCREDMENACE Member

Toronto FC
    Brazil
    Feb 4, 2019
    Ontario
    Talking to a lot of folks at bmo last year and this and the hatred for friday night games at bmo is growing..ie when saturday afternoons seem to be the preferred time..tsn is the main
    Culprit in this but also TFC/MLSE for
    Not putting the supporters interests first...in these cold late winter early spring afteroons game would be better and maybe get the attendance up again

2. whitbytfcfan

whitbytfcfan Member

Apr 9, 2016
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    They play in the afternoon next week. Is there anything you won't complain about?

3. TFCREDMENACE

TFCREDMENACE Member

Toronto FC
    Brazil
    Feb 4, 2019
    Ontario
    No they play friday night next week 29th actually..fyi

4. whitbytfcfan

whitbytfcfan Member

Apr 9, 2016
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    The next game after NYC is at 3pm on Saturday, April 6th. I'm not debating whether the week starts on Sunday or Monday ffs.

5. TFCREDMENACE

TFCREDMENACE Member

Toronto FC
    Brazil
    Feb 4, 2019
    Ontario
    You said quote next week..which is the nycfc game..

6. ArteEtLabore

ArteEtLabore Member

Dec 16, 2006
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Well at least he hasn't brought up Bono is this thread too. At least not yet.

whitbytfcfan repped this.
  7. Kingston

Kingston Member+

Oct 6, 2005
    I thought it was implied that Bono was at fault for the scheduling?

whitbytfcfan repped this.
  8. RetreadFC

RetreadFC Member

Sep 8, 2008
    Oshawa
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Criticism aside, he's right. I go to a few games each year (was at home opener last week). This year, I got two phone calls from MLSE reps trying to sell me "packages", but I told them, I can only make it out on weekends, so packages won't work for me.

9. whitbytfcfan

whitbytfcfan Member

Apr 9, 2016
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    That's fair. You are a consumer and you make a choice with your money. Either someone will buy that seat anyways or it will sit empty. That's a little different from describing a "hatred for Friday night games" and general fan revolt coming from a serial complainer. I prefer Fridays. I still have my season tickets but I usually have to miss four or give games each season because of weddings and other various family events that happen on Saturdays. That doesn't make me angry about Saturday games, I just try and sell the tickets for the games I can't attend and move on. Everyone has their preferred day of the week so it's good that they mix it up. I know fans that don't have an easy 60 minute GO train ride in as I do are the ones that have a harder time with the Friday games but at least an 8pm start gives them that extra hour to get there.

10. TFCREDMENACE

TFCREDMENACE Member

Toronto FC
    Brazil
    Feb 4, 2019
    Ontario
    8pm kos are just silly any night no need for them 7pm is perfect.. 730 liveable..but 5000 empty seats v a top eat contender says 8pm sucks

11. whitbytfcfan

whitbytfcfan Member

Apr 9, 2016
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    8pm gives people more time to get to the game with Friday night traffic and ample time for a dinner out in Liberty Village. Hockey and baseball need to start earlier because the game takes longer. 8pm kickoff is perfect.

12. TFCREDMENACE

TFCREDMENACE Member

Toronto FC
    Brazil
    Feb 4, 2019
    Ontario
    That why u go to sat afternoon games
    U can go all that andthem some

13. whitbytfcfan

whitbytfcfan Member

Apr 9, 2016
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Some people prefer Fridays and some people prefer Saturdays. This is a pointless discussion. Lots of leagues have Friday games. Varied gamedays and times means that there is an attempt to meet all preferences. I have to miss a few Saturdays each year for weddings and other family events so I like the Friday games to avoid that. I just go to every game I can and sell the tickets when I can't make it. Seems simple enough.

14. TFCREDMENACE

TFCREDMENACE Member

Toronto FC
    Brazil
    Feb 4, 2019
    Ontario
    Know the SPFL have friday games and the supporters hate it..travel and work reasons play a big part in that...tv is dictating too much to game days and ko times..clubs have to take more control

15. whitbytfcfan

whitbytfcfan Member

Apr 9, 2016
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    I attended Benfica's first home game this season on a Friday night in Lisbon, no complains there from anyone. Pretty much every Friday has one single game and then the bulk of the games on the weekend so the Friday game gets full national attention in the same way the NFL has Monday Night football for a prime time matchup. Nobody complains because it's always been this way as long as most people remember. Television helps grow the league. If MLS doesn't allow TV networks to have input into game times, we would find less games on TV and less opportunity to attract a growing audience.

Also worth noting that the start time there was 8:30pm.