Friday late night vs RSL PIP Thread 7/1/16

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Murr, Jun 27, 2016.

?

How do you feel about the late kick off time?

1. Why is this game on sooooo late?

4 vote(s)
    28.6%
  2. I don't know spanish, but I'll know the middle name of all our players within 90 minutes

8 vote(s)
    57.1%
  3. Has anyone ever chased beer with coffee?

4 vote(s)
    28.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Freestyle2000

Freestyle2000 Moderator

Feb 6, 2000
    LA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Thank you, based Bill.

Oveki8 repped this.
  2. stangspritzring

stangspritzring Member+

Apr 3, 2006
    NorMD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Somebody check the locker room for chicken blood and goat entrails.

song219 repped this.
  3. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    Salt Lake City police? I want to report 2 points stolen from me.

Oveki8 and Winoman repped this.
  4. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    1 point

Oveki8 repped this.
  5. big spaniel

big spaniel Member

Nov 18, 1999
    Arlington, Virginia
    I suggest that we leave Utah quickly before the State Police makes progress on the case of the stolen point.

Oveki8 repped this.
  6. Freestyle2000

Freestyle2000 Moderator

Feb 6, 2000
    LA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH.

Salt Lake has only been even drawn once at home this season, so this is a pretty impressive result -- and I'm also willing to overlook the smash-and-grab feel for a moment.

However, we also saw a couple of things, for sure:

1) We've got to get more out of Saborio than we are currently. We're not, in any way, a team that's going to regularly outchance our opponents, so our forward, when he gets good looks, has to at least test the goalkeeper. And Saborio only did that on the (admittedly nice) half-volley in the first half.

2) Boswell has to be third on our center back depth chart. By the end of the season, he may be fourth.

3) On a team with as many 30-somethings as this one, I'm still not sure how a 22-year-old midfielder is always the first sub.

bigredfutbol, Oveki8 and Winoman repped this.
  7. DangSkippy

DangSkippy Member+

Apr 28, 2009
    MoCo Maryland
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Apparently? Who knew?

We get a point on the road after that performance? I mean, Hamid is a monster and all, but everything north of him was . . .

8. DCUSA

DCUSA Member+

Jan 14, 2006
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Olsen can't keep trotting out Boswell. I can see why he played tonight but after that performance, everyone's eyes should be open. If Olsen can't recognize it or worse refuses to address it, he shouldn't be coaching this team. Sticking with Boswell will cost a p!ayoff spot, I'm sure of it.

9. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    I wouldn't have been particularly mad even if it ended 1-0 ... basically when I saw RSL's lineup I expected to lose. RSL is a better team and particularly at home at altitude in front of a sellout crowd. Burrito Martinez and Plata are a nightmare to play against and with Morales and Beckerman running the show they rarely give the ball away cheaply. There's a reason they're 3rd in the West.

Tonight went about as well as can be expected. RSL let us off the hook and we can go back to the drawing board and address the things that went wrong without necessarily having to be demoralized about another loss. Essentially we're on a 3 game unbeaten streak since the Copa break with lots of players missing. Could be worse ...

tallguy and bigredfutbol repped this.
  10. DCUSA

DCUSA Member+

Jan 14, 2006
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's a great point to be sure, but it's purely down to Hamid. It's true Burrito and Plata are a handful, but Boswell isn't even playing the same game. They gutted us right up the middle and Boswell is almost out of frame he's so behind.
    My fear is instead of going with Opare, Olsen reverts to an empty bucket to protect Boswell. I feel like if I see this happening I want a new coach.

Oveki8 repped this.
  11. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    Honestly I wouldn't mind Olsen managing the roster a little more situationally. On the road it might not be the worst idea to provide that extra protection and relieve Acosta's defensive responsibilities so he can save his energy for quick counter attacks. Maybe the 4-1-4-1 with Sarvas anchoring alone is a better solution at home when visiting teams are likely to be more conservative.

I also wouldn't mind rotating Boswell in and out of the lineup based on the situation. Against speedy front lines like RSL maybe we'd be better off with Robinson. Use Boswell for more direct aerial teams.

stangspritzring and Heist repped this.
  12. DCUSA

DCUSA Member+

Jan 14, 2006
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Generally, I don't think it's a good idea to rotate the center of defense regularly. It's better to maintain consistency there to keep the team's shape steady and the other players comfortable in their roles. I would prefer Opare and Boiswell simply switch roles.
    I don't like changing formations in order to eke a point on the road, I don't like that mentality, but that's personal bias, a lot of coaches will get conservative on the road.

13. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    bump... :)
    My reaction was the same when he came in, but it ended up working out. Jurgen-style subbing.

Freestyle2000 and Oveki8 repped this.
  14. GlennAA11

GlennAA11 Member+

Jun 12, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Didn't we just give Boswell a contract extension? That will increase the pressure on Ben to play him. That and the fact that they made him captain. But if Boswell has any pride....

Winoman repped this.
  15. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lots of good ideas here.
    Hopefully Nyarko comes back soon so we can bring Espindola or Neagle off the bench to change a game if we need it. Or maybe we could even bring DeLeon off the bench.....

naaaaah, that's crazy talk.

In general I like the 4-1-4-1, but I think it'll work even better with someone better than Espindola on the wing. He had a good first game there, but in situations like last night he seemed wasted on offense and was nothing special on D.

The other thing I noticed last night is that RSL is a really good team. Lots of attacking power and skill. We didn't have a very good night all things considered, but they look like a team that can really push their opponent technically and tactically. I would actually watch them play Colorado or Vancouver. Even our first half against them last night probably would have been a fun game for neutrals to watch. We didn't get a lot of shots on goals, but we had some attacks and close shots.

Boloni86 and Oveki8 repped this.
  16. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1 year (this year)
    Club option for 2017. I think we can easily make it clear to him that he'll be the 3rd (or 4th if we still have Birnbaum) option and he's essentially a player who coach who will play situationally if at all. If he watches any game tape from games like last night, he won't be able to form a coherent argument for his inclusion as a starter.
    As for this year, he's still an ok option against more straightforward attacks, but nothing like RSL's.
    Who should be the captain if not him? Sarvas? Hamid? I'd be worried Benny would give it to DeLeon, thus cementing him even more in the starting lineup.

17. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    Franklin was captain against NE -- makes sense, a veteran, hard worker and not known as a hothead. You never, ever give the armband to Marcelo or Espy that would be shitshow of biblical proportions.

bigredfutbol and sitruc repped this.
  18. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
    You have to watch on 47, if you are local. DirecTV doesn't support SAP on UDN since it moved channels.

Thx,

Jay!

19. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
    Going into the season without an adequate striker on the roster already has.

Thx,

Jay!

20. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's a long season and the east is weak. I'm not sure any team is out of it, much less us.
    I do agree that was a huge mistake though.

Winoman repped this.
  21. stangspritzring

stangspritzring Member+

Apr 3, 2006
    NorMD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    4-1-4-1 at home, 4-2-3-1 (Sarvas/NDL) on the road, center backs based on the probable attackers. I think that's the reasonable approach.

nobletea repped this.
  22. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
    Don't worry, we'll get one in the Summer transfer window... (Looks up summer transfer window)...

Secondary Transfer Window - July 4 – August 3, 2016

Holy hell! Happy 4th of July! Here comes Zlatan, Hulk, Dzeko, Robson-Kanu? Corey Hertzog?

Thx,

Jay!

23. Winoman

Winoman Drinkin' Wine Spo-De-O-De!

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    More likely Fritmore Zitteras.

griffin1108 repped this.
  24. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    So long as we don't get, Zaza the guy specifically subbed into Italy/Germany to take PKs, I think he hit a low flying airplane with his "attempt."

DangSkippy and Winoman repped this.
  25. Winoman

Winoman Drinkin' Wine Spo-De-O-De!

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He studied at the Jeff Agoos school of shooting. :)