Friday late night vs RSL PIP Thread 7/1/16

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Murr, Jun 27, 2016.

?

How do you feel about the late kick off time?

1. Why is this game on sooooo late?

4 vote(s)
    28.6%
  2. I don't know spanish, but I'll know the middle name of all our players within 90 minutes

8 vote(s)
    57.1%
  3. Has anyone ever chased beer with coffee?

4 vote(s)
    28.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Murr

Murr Member+

Apr 14, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    DC United
    @ Real Salt Lake in Rio Tinto Stadium
    when 10:30 PM ET Friday Night
    TV Univision

Cute baby animal: In honor of Iceland's win over England, the only native land mammal in Iceland, the artic fox:
    [​IMG]

dadman, Stan Collins, fatbastard and 2 others repped this.
  2. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Riot Into Stadium

Hard to fly into that place and get a great result, but I'd be pretty happy with a good result :)

I haven't been paying really close attention to the West so far this year, but I think I recall RSL being pretty up and down lately. Hopefully we get them on a down, tired, uninspired night.
    They do have a US Open Cup game tonight, perhaps they could go 120+ minutes with a few minor injuries early that require more starters to play.

DCU: 1
    RSL: 1

I ********ing hate Univision games. We've had a season full of them already, are we done yet?

dadman and Winoman repped this.
  3. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Another game I won't be able to stay awake for. I get the whole TV thing, but can't they make the west coast game a game between two west coast teams?

4. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    I don't think SLC is any closer to the west coast than Chicago is to the east coast. :p

dadman and Winoman repped this.
  5. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    No, but supporters of a west coast team are much more likely to be awake at 7:30 than supporters of an east coast team at 10:30.

6. UnitedBorn

UnitedBorn Member+

Dec 7, 2015
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kamara continues his tradition of scoring in late Friday games and we win 2-1.

Winoman repped this.
  7. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's not a west coast game. It's damn late, but in this case RSL is in the mountain time zone. Not sure why it couldn't be an 10 EST start or even 930 staying after a 7 pm game.
    I plan to dvr and watch when I wake up.

8. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Yes, I know that SLC is in the interior of the continent, but the time is the same as if the game were on the coast. Which actually kind of sucks for the people attending the game live, too - 8:30 is a pretty late kickoff time. But anything to make Univision happy, I guess.

9. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seems like they could have had an East coast game at 7 and then our game at 930 eastern.

10. United fury

United fury Member+

Feb 9, 2007
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    RSL playing their starters in the USOC game tonight. Lets hope for 120 minutes.

dadman, Winoman and song219 repped this.
  11. Winoman

Winoman Drinkin' Wine Spo-De-O-De!

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #11 Winoman, Jun 29, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2016
    RSL-Flounders (open)
    Your wish was granted. The Flounders won in penalty kicks, 4-1. :)

dadman, nobletea and sitruc repped this.
  12. Murr

Murr Member+

Apr 14, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    DC United
    I'm guessing 2-1 good guys. This team got burned last year, I think, when our opponent played an extended USOC game midweek and DCU lost.

I'm going with the odds and the fact the team played great. Only question is who will get the start at CB?

13. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good question. You know Benny will start Boswell, though I wouldn't (altitude vs speed). I suspect he'll start Birnbaum as well, but the knock he picked up might change that to Opare.

Who starts up front for RSL? I've said this before, and he never listens :cool: ... but .....
    If I was Benny I'd start the other CB based on:
    Speedy front line/forward: Birnbaum
    Big/bruising type forward: Opare

I wonder if he'll bring all 4 or just 3 of them.

Winoman repped this.
  14. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Birnbaum and Robison *can* play outside back if needed, so maybe all 4 come and Mishu stays home? But Birnbaum's knock could determine that.

Oveki8 and Winoman repped this.
  15. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    Anyone who has ever been to Iceland knows the real foxes have 2 legs, ultra blond hair and blue eyes. And that's what the Iceland 11 were playing for against England.

bigredfutbol, dadman, Boloni86 and 5 others repped this.
  16. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    Playing an expansion team again. :( I can't build up any good sustainable hate for an expansion team. (i consider an expansion team any team that came into the league after the Chicago Fire and the Miami Fusion)

Winoman repped this.
  17. stangspritzring

stangspritzring Member+

Apr 3, 2006
    NorMD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ahh, it's the match where my wife's lust for Olsen is fighting with my wife's continued affection for Rimando.

Really, either way I lose.

dadman, Winoman and shawn12011 repped this.
  18. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA
    You've already lost.

19. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Mine still pines for Walter Zenga. At least he is retired.

20. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

It doesn't matter who/what gets her worked up. You are there for relief. Get a temporary tattoo sleeve and playact.

james

21. Petworth Posse

Feb 24, 2009
    Club:
    DC United
    Looks like RSL fell to Seattle Tuesday in the Open Cup and indeed the match did go the full 120 - settled by PKs.

Real Salt Lake (MLS) 1, Seattle Sounders FC (MLS) 1 (1-4 PKs)
    It ultimately took penalty kicks to separate two MLS Western Conference rivals, as Seattle Sounders FC advanced to the U.S. Open Cup Quarterfinals at the expense of Real Salt Lake thanks to the goalkeeping heroics of Tyler Miller on the first night of the 2016 tournament’s Round of 16. Despite a ceaseless bombardment, Seattle’s defense did not concede a goal from the run of play all night, surrendering only a Joao Plata penalty kick in the 43rd minute. Nelson Valdez then leveled matters for the Rave Green soon after the halftime break, and it was a scoreless stalemate the rest of the way to penalties thanks in large part to both goalkeepers making a bushel of terrific saves at either end. The Sounder’s Miller was particularly excellent in goal down the stretch and into the penalty shootout where he gained a measure of revenge on Plata, this time denying the RSL man before also keeping out recently returned RSL captain Kyle Beckerman to set up Erik Friberg for the winning penalty as the Sounders converted all four of their spot kick opportunities. Seattle moves on to its 11th all-time Open Cup Quarterfinal in franchise history, hitting the road to face the winner between Portland Timbers and LA Galaxy on a date to be determined.

22. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    I voted chasing beer with coffee although I suspect the more pragmatic choice is a 6 pack of Monster and a fifth of vodka ....

23. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mrs Zenga was hot ... and very friendly with my buddy once when we took a road trip up to NE (not quite that friendly unfortunately)

shawn12011 and stangspritzring repped this.
  24. DangSkippy

DangSkippy Member+

Apr 28, 2009
    MoCo Maryland
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Weren't there a pair of Americans detained by the Icelandic government a few years back for going to Iceland in search of brides?

I'm to understand that because the population and gene pool is so small, that Iceland is ideal phase III clinical trials. On the other hand, while I'm certain there will be a large pool of potential mates available to the players on their return, with such a small populace, I feel like there's a fair chance that a measurable fraction of that pool with be related to the players. :eek:

sitruc repped this.
  25. Oveki8

Oveki8 Member+

May 4, 2012
    Club:
    DC United
    Hopefully DC United can at least get a point out of this game.

Winoman repped this.