Friday 15 Nov 2019

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by Stuart95, Nov 14, 2019.

1. Stuart95

Stuart95 Member+

Mar 11, 2012
    NoVA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Predicting who will be available in the 2019 MLS Expansion Draft
    https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2019...e-available-2019-mls-expansion-draft-ben-baer

Don Garber says the state of MLS is healthy. The reality is more complicated.
    https://theathletic.com/1379222/201...s-is-healthy-the-reality-is-more-complicated/

The MLS Racial and Gender Report Card
    https://www.espn.com/sports/soccer/story/_/id/28065903/the-mls-racial-gender-report-card

Thierry Henry: Former Arsenal star back in management with Montreal Impact
    https://www.independent.co.uk/sport...ague-soccer-arsenal-latest-news-a9202851.html

Impact hopes Thierry Henry can bring stability to sideline
    https://montrealgazette.com/sports/...thierry-henry-can-bring-stability-to-sideline

Twice is nice, but three would mean Sounders dynasty sits on rare throne
    https://www.chicagotribune.com/sns-tns-bc-soc-calkins-column-20191114-story.html

Inter Miami acquires defender Grant Lillard from Chicago Fire
    https://www.prosoccerusa.com/mls/ex...for-defender-grant-lillard-from-chicago-fire/

2. rocketeer22

rocketeer22 Member+

Apr 11, 2000
    Oakton,VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    GunnerJacket repped this.
  4. Kappa74

Kappa74 Member+

Feb 2, 2010
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    I for one don’t care about the racial or gender distribution in MLS. If an organization wants to hire someone based simply on what they can contribute, I’m okay with that.

5. Darkwing McQuack

Darkwing McQuack BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 11, 2011
    Morrisville, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Boy I hope this isn’t it. Thing is god awful.

1195189809733652481 is not a valid tweet id

GHjelm repped this.
  6. eagercolin

eagercolin Member

Metro
    United States
    Aug 25, 2017
    Buffalo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you actually care about hiring based on ability, then you should care about the racial and gender distribution of employees, since ability isn't concentrated in one race or gender.

Grumpy in LA, 007Spartan and MannieG repped this.
  7. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. MinuteWaltZ

MinuteWaltZ Member

Indy Eleven
    United States
    Apr 19, 2019
    Awful. Lazy. Generic. Copy-cat. Garbage.

I got into soccer and MLS because of this team in '98. I've move away but still have a soft spot in my heart for the team and want them to do well. The current logo is unique in the league and ties into the name and the city's history. The new logo abandons that and 20 years of team history. I hope this is a joke.

9. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

RafaLarios repped this.
  10. rocketeer22

rocketeer22 Member+

Apr 11, 2000
    Oakton,VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If an organization received a bunch of resumes without name, age, nationality, gender, etc., and evaluated based on accomplishments listed then that would be hiring based on pure ability.

What the report seems to do with its grading is to imply that there is some anticipated/accepted equality without taking into account preferences of an individual or the competition for similar positions in the job market. Then if all things being equal, it becomes more of a quota hiring than one based on merit.

wantmlsphilly and NashSC repped this.
  11. rocketeer22

rocketeer22 Member+

Apr 11, 2000
    Oakton,VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kind of reminds me of the older Regal Entertainment Group logo. But I certainly hope this isn't the new crest.

12. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or, here's a crazy thought:

Maybe if you "actually care about hiring based on ability" you could, ya know, go ahead and hire on the basis of ability.

13. RfrancisR

RfrancisR Member+

Aug 7, 2006
    New Orleans Diaspora
    Do you honestly that those who care about racial and gender distribution want anything other than for an organization “to hire someone based simply what they can contribute”?

Diversity is not at odds with finding those based on what they can contribute. Rather, demands for diversity is about removing racial, ethic, and gender blinders and finding those who have the merit for the jobs.

Grumpy in LA and MannieG repped this.
  14. GreatGonzo

GreatGonzo Member+

Jul 1, 1999
    MA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    The problem with this is ability doesn't take into account different viewpoints that may be brought up due to a person's background. We've seen this a lot in the tech industry because it's dominated by white men. It's not because these guys are consciously deciding to discriminate, it's just that they aren't thinking about experiences that aren't their own, which isn't that surprising. It makes for bad situations for products that sell to the public, though. And to be clear, it's not simply skin color and gender that can cause this, though that's the easiest to see. Having an ethnically diverse and gender balanced group of talented people who all studied under the same professor may have a similar problem. Diversity of viewpoint matters.

Ismitje repped this.
  15. bbsbt

bbsbt Member+

Feb 26, 2003
    To appease the SJW police.

Btw, the author of the article needs to catch up to the times and define the term "gender".
    Last I heard, there were 1,548 gender types.

Egbert Sousé repped this.
  16. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

17. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    JasonMa repped this.
  18. bbsbt

bbsbt Member+

Feb 26, 2003
    Ok, ok... I may have exaggerated a bit; it's more like 248 gender types.

rocketeer22 repped this.
  19. MannieG

MannieG Member+

Nov 30, 2006
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OK, boomers...

Dirt McGirt and Fighting Illini repped this.
  20. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ...and literally none of them have any effect on you.

RfrancisR, CMeszt and JasonMa repped this.
  21. footballfantatic

Mar 27, 2008
    Ontario, California
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly!

22. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If the Washington State Ferries make it to Wenatchee I'm going to assume some combination of the great quake and climate change has hit and I'm not going to be too worried about where the MLS Cup is at that point. :D

23. TheRealBilbo

TheRealBilbo Member+

Apr 5, 2016
    I'm not a Chicago Fire fan, but I'd think something Mrs. O'Leary's cow-themed, maybe with a lantern in the barn would be better.

24. CMeszt

CMeszt Member+

Farewell Sweet Prince
    Jan 9, 2004
    Gentrification's Apex.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    It's disappointing to say the least... especially as someone who was happy to finally ditch the generic fire department branding

25. TheRealBilbo

TheRealBilbo Member+

Apr 5, 2016
    I would think that a percentage itself shouldn't be the target, at least as an exact number. At least until the population of employees is relatively large. Statistics and tell you whether a distribution can happen randomly or not. Factors like race and gender should reflect the distribution observed in the population being sampled, but those have confidence intervals.

That brings up your next question... It's rare that you have only one qualified candidate for a position. There are primary qualifications that you expect of the candidate for the position. The candidates that make the first cut should all possess those qualifications. I would expect that group to be diverse. Selecting the employee from this group is where you consider secondary factors such as race and ethnicity. At this point, you can choose someone because they bring a viewpoint or skill into the organization that was missing.

RfrancisR repped this.