French football: a racial quotas scandal ?

Discussion in 'France' started by Catel, Apr 30, 2011.

1. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    actually they would prefer being able to train them themselves and algerian opinion on the state of affairs chez les fennecs is far from unanimous.

and let's not forget that the original decision to allow one change of nationality was due to the penchant of the FFF (among others) to call up rakeloads of U-17 and U-15 immigrant kids, including many actually birn abroad, simply to pin them down for the future.

the most important consideration for me is that we are after all talking about sport, and the intention of international sporting competitions originally was and should still be to bring people together. the teams exchange pennants before and jerseys after each match. the exchange of players between nations needs to remain reasonable and equitable but in itself can only be a good thing.

1 person likes this.
  2. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    You know, these smaller nations seem to have some connection with France, England and Germany. Perhaps if the governments of France, England and Germany were to deny dual citizenship to members of their former colonies, there would be no reason to have fears about training players who could go on to suit up for another NT.

3. midknight

midknight New Member

Sep 5, 2005
    Paris
    didn't realise Marine La Divine posts on this board...

small world...

4. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Took me about ten minutes of googling before I realized that you're talking about Jean-Marie Le Pen's daughter. I have absolutely nothing in common with those people, politically or otherwise.

But Blanc has expressed concerns about training players who will suit up for other NTs and has been recorded discussing solutions that are not one bit more acceptable than denying citizenship totally. Marine Le Pen is at least willing to go the distance, rather than Blanc's discussion idea of essentially saying to all dual nationals, "We'll decide which among you are French and which are not. You'll know for certain when you're admitted to or rejected from Clairefontaine".

These are Blanc's options:

1) Stop awarding dual citizenship. No one gets to play for France but... well, whoever the French government says qualifies as being truly French. In addition, whatever contributions dual nationals make to France as a country are now the resposibility of the True French. No one on eithe side gets used- solves the problem, no?

2) Start limiting NT training opportunities to dual nationals but keep them around as a people so that they can continue contributing to France as a nation and as an economy.

Discussion of a quota falls into this category.

3) Keep doing what the FFF have been doing and hope for (even more) success.

A quota on dual nationals is de facto second-class citizenship. What Blanc allowed himself to entertain is no better than Le Pen's idea of outright denial of citizenship. In fact, it's worse. There's a saying around Ala-dama-BAMA that goes... if you don't need a dog, open the door and let him go. Don't keep him around just so you can kick him.

5. midknight

midknight New Member

Sep 5, 2005
    Paris
    Sorry if I offended you with the comparison. Just couldn't think of anyone else who would advocate such a drastic policy, particularly to "fix" a football related "problem"

I'm not sure what's wrong with option 3...its brought 1 world cup,, 1 european cup and 1 world cup final, as well as qualifications in every single major tournament France has been eligible for in the last 15 years...

Did binationals only start showing up at Clairefontaine since 2008? :confused:

6. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I don't believe in this policy at all, but I believe even less in an FA that even thinks about two tiers of citizenship where national team training access is involved.

The policy I posted is no more drastic than what Blanc heard and offered suggestions about at this private meeting. Discussion of a quota says to dual nationals that they can hold French citizenship, but will never be Truly French, at least not French enough for this idea not ever have been brought up.

I agree 100%. Option 3 is what has given France what little success they do have. But for Blanc, Spain (a flavor-of-the-month nation that hasn't won much more than France, when you look at the trophy cabinets) is the role model.

It's important to remember that France held the "Brasil of Europe" style title long before Spain did. Back when they were being eliminated by Germany in 1982 and 1986 and failing to even qualify for 1994. It hasn't worked for Spain all this time until just now, and it won't continue for long, either. Spain will top out at maybe two measly World Cups and then fall back into obscurity. France may be even less successful than that if Blanc has his way stylewise.

That I don't know.