French Division 1

Discussion in 'Women's International' started by guignol, Sep 7, 2012.

1. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
  2. Folken

Folken Member

PSG
    France
    Nov 29, 2019
    #3802 Folken, Dec 15, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2019
    D1 Arkema Day 12

ASJ Soyaux - FC Fleury game has been postponed.

All top 4 teams wrapped up pretty well at mid season.
    Les Girondin(e)s of Bordeaux put PSG on pressure as PSG needed a win against PFC in the parisian derby to take the 2nd place back. They did it so with some classy finishes of both Marie Antoinette Katoto and the 2019 best canadian soccer player Ashley Lawrence.
    It was a pretty unusual victory for Lyon who were scoreless until the 60' thanks to the almost-every-time-decisive Wendie Renard. Dijon FC was closed to be the only french team not to lose a single D1 game against Lyon this seaon. Now it is time to rest girls!!

[​IMG]

sbahnhof repped this.
  3. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    French Cup draw just been made

FC Fleury (D1) - EA Guingamp (D1)
    Paris FC (D1) - FC Girondins de Bordeaux (D1)
    O. Lyonnais (D1) - O. Marseille (D1)

ASJ Soyaux (D1) - Le Havre AC (D2)
    RC St-Denis RC (D2) - Stade de Reims (D1)
    FF Yzeure AA (D2) - Montpellier HSC (D1)
    FC Metz (D1) - AS St-Étienne (D2)

AS Mazères (Lezons) Uzos Rontignon (R1) - Paris Saint-Germain (D1)
    Vesoul FC (R1) - Dijon FCO (D1)

ESOF La Roche sur-Yon (D2) - Arras FCF (D2)
    Stade Brestois 29 (D2) - Montauban FCTG (D2)
    Lille OSC (D2) - US Orléans Loiret (D2)
    AS Nancy Lorraine (D2) - Thonon Évian FC (D2)
    Grenoble Foot 38 (D2) - FC Vendenheim (D2)

US Saint-Vit (R1) - Rodez Aveyron F. (D2)

CA Paris (R1) - Le Mans FC (R1)

And the dates

16es de finale : dimanche 12 janvier 2020
    8es de finale : dimanche 2 février 2020.
    1/4 de finale : dimanche 16 février 2020.
    1/2 finales : dimanche 22 mars 2020.
    Finale : samedi 9 mai 2020

sbahnhof and blissett repped this.
  4. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    looks like it's official, Lyon buys the Seattle Reign
    OL Groupe agrees to take over Reign FC at valuation of $3.51 million – Equalizer Soccer

what's interesting is famed basketball star, Tony Parker's involvement in all this. But then from reading other sources, basketball participation for females is three times more than soccer in France

in fact participation is only around 145K for the entire country(though I don't know at what age group they start counting)
    FFF - Women's football in the spotlight of the Federal Assembly

this seems to me a very, very, low figure, especially vs American stats, though which could be approx 3 mill females play an year, but then it's splintered up into some many variations or organizations, with by far the highest amount being in youth(age 10 & under) and then too, we don't follow FIFA rules(especially the 3 pernament sub rules, this goes all the way through college)

5. Folken

Folken Member

PSG
    France
    Nov 29, 2019
    #3805 Folken, Dec 21, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2019
    Well, all things considered, you are talking about a country that didn't give a rat's arse about women's football 10 years ago.
    It would have been worse today if Lyon didnt invest in it.

In my opinion, we (myself included) are probably expecting too much for a country that counts so little participation eventhough being in the top 5 countries is already a positive thing. Competent people (myself excluded) should know those things could take time.

6. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    The goalscorers table :

No surprise with Hegerberg ahead of a trio of Asseyi, Katoto and Shaw.
    Amazing to see two Bordeaux players in second place. It shows that any parent club putting just a little bit of money can generate good results.

The assist table:

Mroszan way ahead of Nadim, with Majri and Diani tied in third place.

L'orange and blissett repped this.
  7. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    For the relegation battle, there are two places available.

Metz with 1 point in 12 are going down, unless they really improve after the Christmas break as they have 10 points to catch up!

Second from bottom Marseille pay the price for the lack of investment from the parent club. With 6 points they are 5 points off safety and will need to improve a lot as well.

Reims and Dijon with 11 points are the first teams under threat, but they have a good safety margin at the moment and if they avoid collapsing the second half of the season, they will be safe.

For the teams looking at promotion in Division 2, one team from each region go up:

Group A

Issy with 29 points from 11 points have a huge lead over Rodez and Montauban with 21 points and Nantes with 20.

Group B
    It's a three way battle with St Etienne on 29 points, Le Havre with 28 and Yzeure with 25. Anything can happen and it will be tight until the end of the season.

8. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    to replace the injured Sara Dabritz, PSG has just signed this Brazilian named Luana. Never heard of her but looks really good in this highlight video

got to give PSG a lot of credit to sign newer players(as compared to Lyon & others with their more established stars, approach) but it don't always work(as I figured Jordyn Huitema is currently either too young or even overrated)

blissett repped this.
  9. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019
    Probably just being too young. PSG must have saw something in her to give a 4 year contact. Probably give her more time to get better. Maybe they trying to find another Lindsey Hogan player.

10. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    she's only 18, so she obviously got room to grow. But there's something kinda off about her; those long, lanky legs might of done well vs fellow teens, but she's got to strengthen her body if she wants to compete with top adults.

if you compare her to another tall fwd, Miedema, Viv was all ready dominating as a 17 year old(when the became the Dutch NT's leading scorer/right now, Jordyn only got one league goal to her credit

11. Folken

Folken Member

PSG
    France
    Nov 29, 2019
    #3811 Folken, Jan 5, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2020
    Huitema's been playing for only 4 month and scored 3 goals (1 league and 2 Champion's league). It's hard to measure her long term efficiency with this.

It will be interesting to see how far will she go if she happened to play for PSG as long as Horan did . Even though the comparision wouldn't be that accurate since the French D1 was way more unbalanced back then.
    (e.g. there are far less +10-0 scorelines nowadays, there is none for now in the French league)

Huitema faces a bigger challenge too : she aims at the striker' spot already fulfilled by Katoto!!
    She knew that of course before she signed because she already did several PSG training camps last year, attended couple PSG games and even played at the ICC.
    That tells a lot about her spirit!

Here are the manager Bruno Cheyrou's google-translated words about PSG feminine

"The budget (Editor's note: estimated at 7 million euros) is fairly stable, it's already good. My mission is to optimize the means given to me. If I had an unlimited budget and all the players I wanted, there would be no challenge. If Lyon had offered me the same thing, I don't know if I would have accepted. The challenge is very exciting. We are building a young team that will grow together and that will be very competitive in the years to come, with players who will shine on French football."

http://www.leparisien.fr/sports/foo...s-assure-bruno-cheyrou-21-03-2019-8036502.php

12. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    so the NWSL/Portland Thorns are making a bid for PSG's Diani
    Portland Thorns target PSG and France star Diani | Goal.com
    Diani was the best player in early last year's friendly, France's impressive win over the US, but might of faded during the Wolrd Cup. The $445K sounds a bit steep to me for the usual pay for the NWSL, but the Thorns are kinda in a relationship with Nike(also based in Portland) & Nike's been known to throw money around for the quirkiest things
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

btw....Folken@ is there a free stream site to watch French league games? The English converted all their games where you can conveniently watch all their games at just one website, and it definitely picked up interested fans
    https://faplayer.thefa.com/home/womens-super-league

L'orange repped this.
  13. L'orange

L'orange Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jul 20, 2017
    Portland, having been embarrassed by North Carolina in their last two meetings, including the NWSL championship game, is obviously looking for more scoring punch---and they will get it if they are able to sign both Diani and Sophia Smith, the best young forward prospect in the U.S. who is rumored to be interested in turning pro if she can sign with Portland.

14. Folken

Folken Member

PSG
    France
    Nov 29, 2019
    I don't know any free "legal" stream sites where you can watch French league games, sorry about that.
    I personally am a long time subscriber for Canal Plus. They recently acquired the French D1 Arkema TV rights for 6 million Euros for 5 years. Back in a day, when I first subscribed it was because they owned French Top 14 rugby TV rights. For the first time, I was proud about giving them my money if it sort of aims at growing Women football in France and my 13 years old daughter has never been that happy to see the games live. For now, they seem satisfied with the results; some games attract good audience. But yeah I also kind of have the feeling they can do better but that's a start.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now about Diani, I usually don't pounce on rumors. Some agents take advantage of such a buzz to raise the value of their player and PSG undoubtly has deep pockets.
    If it was up to me though I'll send every French NT players overseas just to drawing them out of their comfort zone. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

15. Folken

Folken Member

PSG
    France
    Nov 29, 2019
    French D1 bottom team Metz FC acquired its Kerr!! Not Sam of course but 22 years old Devon Kerr, former keeper for the Houston Dash.
    It is a much needed addition to the team. U19 Euro Champion Justine Lerond talented but young had her ups and downs during the first half of the season.

Metz FC gets Canadian Defender Esther Mayi Kith on loan from Montpellier.
    Lots of move from Metz FC who changes their coach and hires a new technical director.

https://www.lequipe.fr/Football/Act...feminine-change-tout-pour-se-relancer/1097030

Let's hope it will help them to get back on their feet.

16. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
  17. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
  18. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
  19. Folken

Folken Member

PSG
    France
    Nov 29, 2019
    #3819 Folken, Jan 19, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2020
    blissett and sbahnhof repped this.
  20. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Well, not sure if one can really say that this draw re-opened the league, because PSG are still 3 points behind and OL don't use to drop points very easily. It's a fact, anyway, that they already had two draws this season and that PSG's 11-0 win was quite a statement, beyond putting them closer to OL in goal difference also.

I am very curious to see how things will pan out, and this is already something no-one actually had a chance to say in the last years. :coffee:

sbahnhof repped this.
  21. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019
    I'm shocked Lyon tied!

22. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I am actually not. I was when OL had tied with another 0-0 at the 6th match-day vs a much worse team, Dijon (currently third-to-last). An away draw vs Bordeaux, instead, can of course raise an eyebrow, given OL's usual record, but can't actually generate "shock".

Bordeaux is currently the quite undisputed "third force" of the league (especially now that Montpellier have lost again, at home and vs mediocre Paris FC), behind OL and PSG, so it's a club that's well capable of reaching a Champions League spot when it will be extended and the big nations will get three spots each. A draw vs them is not much more clamorous than one vs PSG (or vs Montellier from the past seasons) would be,

It is true that, in the first leg of the league, OL had squarely beaten Bordeaux by 4-0, but in my eyes that result wasn't a good assessment of Bordeaux's strength compared to OL (as much as probably this 0-0 tie isn't either: the true must be somewhere in between).

23. sbahnhof

sbahnhof Member+

Nov 21, 2016
    Aotearoa
    I'm quite surprised - because the title race might be close, and also, last year we talked about how "Lyon always win" in league matches, with few exceptions. And we could add, Lyon always score, and 0-0s are unusual for them.

For anyone else who loves a good Meaningless Lyon Statistic :D here's one – in the seasons before this, Lyon hadn't gone goalless against 2 teams in the league in 3rd place or below, since 2009/10. Very impressive, but does it mean anything? Probably not, but if the league situation stays this way until March, PSG v Lyon will be very meaningful! That match of the top 2 is scheduled for 14 March.

blissett repped this.
  24. Folken

Folken Member

PSG
    France
    Nov 29, 2019
    This weekend games certainly showed that D1 Arkema becomes more challenging; the margin between top 5 teams and mid table teams gets thiner. Amateur or semi-pro teams are on the verge to get fully profesionnal. I believe it will take 3-4 more years for all the 12 clubs to get there. We expect the French D1 to be even more competitive.
    Let's face it though, for now, OL is ten year ahead and I can't see them loosing their crown this season.

PSG has to win both away Montpellier and Bordeaux games then they must defeat Lyon. There are too many steps to reach not to mention the Women CL and the Coupe de France games to play.
    It won't be easy for PSG to either chasing down Lyon and to not to be chased down by Bordeaux; but I guess that what makes the D1 challenging and exciting at least if you are a fan PSG or if you root for the other teams below.

25. Folken

Folken Member

PSG
    France
    Nov 29, 2019
    Day 13 : Top 3 Goals and Saves + Highlights of Bordeaux v Lyon (which I forgot last time sorry about that)

sbahnhof, L'orange and blissett repped this.